Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

WA3DQS Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Great with HRDv6  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I upgraded from the FT-950, I first considered the FT-1200, but the lack of USB port on the FT-1200 convinced me to get the FT-3000. It's worth the extra bucks, if only for the built-in CW and RTTY decode functions. Built-in 9 MHz IF output works great with SDR-IQ (or other panadapters,) so I use internal bandscope on a wide sweep and the SDR-IQ with a narrow sweep. If you're still using HRDv5, this rig (or any newer rig) will require that you upgrade to HRDv6. Well worth it to have on-screen sliders for things like IF shift and RF output power, and both the rig control and digital modes work on the same USB cable - sweet! Most of the menu choices are not used frequently, but one option I'd really like to see is the ability to export the menu and memory settings - that would make the firmware upgrades much more user-friendly. Like any menu-driven radio, there's a bit of a learning curve with the FT-3000, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great RX/TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 3000 for about 16 months and this is a follow up after a good time operating this rig on many different bands. If your buying this radio for the band scope and need a fish finder that look fancy please buy an Icom but the RX in this radio will sit neck and neck or even best an IC7800, its the 5000's little brother. After having owned in the past 3 years the TS590 and the K3 IMO this is the best I have used without spending $4k-$5K for a radio. If some out there want this to be like a FT1000MP well in todays market the FTDX5K would be the modern day FT1KMP, I owned three of the mp's and for its time and loaded with the IRC roof and filters it was one of the best all around DX/contesting rig around but these newer down conversion DSP machines do more. On the low bands the 3K does an excellent job at pulling weak signals out of the noise and the filtering is very good. On the higher bands the low noise floor of this radio makes weak signal work easy and even on six. The combo of the DSP filtering, notch, IF shift plus contour and APF really shines, the only con is the notch should have a fast mode. I use this radio for DXing, rag chew and dabble in some contest and find it does more than a good enough job. The TX section is very good and find the need for outboard audio section not needed, the built on EQ work very well. The only thing I wish Yaesu would have done is make a video out for a separate monitor, who knows maybe they will make an optional adapter to plug into the IF out and be able to display onto a monitor screen, kinda like the DMU they made for the FT2000. Maybe Yaesu will come out with a FTDX4000 with a second RX section, 100W, built in supply and a video output sometime soon and that would be a complete line of HF*6 radio's but for a street price under $2400 the FTDX3000 is one very good radio.

K5NT Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2014 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Transceiver, but Band Scope is disappointing.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a modern transceiver to replace my aging OMNI VI+, and finally settled on the Yaesu FTDX-3000D. I ordered it online from HRO, and it was on my desk three days later thanks to HRO's typically fast service.

I work mostly CW, so I was interested mainly in QSK and receiver performance. I have been spoiled by Ten-Tec's excellent QSK, but was pleased to find that the 3000 was just as good in this regard. Maybe if were able to make measurements in a lab I might see a difference, but to my ear the Yaesu is comparable. The built-in DSP signal enhancing features are excellent, and I rarely need to use the 300 Hz extra filter I added. The internal keyer works well, so I have retired the Logikeyer.

I am very disappointed in the band scope. The fat little blobs produced by strong signals (or strong noise) bear no resemblance to the crisp peaks and valleys shown in Yaesu's print ads. The band scope is only useful for impressing non-ham visitors, so I hope that Yaesu comes up with a fix that will make the scope images more closely resemble those in their print ads. The remainder of the TFT display is excellent! It is very sharp, and the numbers and letters are easy to read. You can control what the display shows to some extent, so you can focus on information relevant to your operating mode and desires. The CW reader is more useful for entertaining visitors than for serious operating.

I have no problem with the menu system. I took notes on the sections that relate to CW operation and a few other general settings, and refer to these notes in normal operation. Most of the menu choices relate to more complex modes than CW, so I am not interested in them at present. I bought the Nifty Mini-Manual, which is sometimes easier to find things in than the manual provided by Yaesu.

There is no provision for easily producing a steady carrier for setting an external tuner, but cranking the keyer up to maximum speed (60 WPM) and sending a short burst of dits does the job quite well. I have been told that others use data modes for this purpose with good results.

All in all I am pleased with the rig except for the mostly decorative band scope. For the dedicated contester or DXer, it would be a good choice. More casual operators interested in the 3000 should read the January, 2014 QST review of the 1200, which might provide acceptable performance at lower cost. Note, however, that several features are built into the 3000 that cost extra on the 1200.

KC2PUF Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2014 04:00 Send this review to a friend
great first use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked it up. Sat for a couple days. Umboxed. 3 Boxes no less. Plugged it in to power and antenna. Started to read the manual. Learned a couple things used regularly on Pro 3 it replaced.Nice results. Heard everything but one on a net I check into regularly.Probably could have heard them if I had configured it beforehand.Figure need to go down the manual to actually maximize this radio, so will post back in a few months after getting amp conected, keypad figured out, etc.
Used a 1200 for FD, and was impressed enough to spring for this one. Patience to configure this will definately pay off.
Full screen scope was useful, but kinda not as sweet as the pro 3, but is ok for what I use it for.
1st impressions very good.

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 09:08 Send this review to a friend
SUPERIOR RECEIVER PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned and sold a number of radios over the years, mainly Icom and Yaesu's. My previous rigs were a 756 Pro3 and an IC-7600. I bought the FTDX3000 for the receiver and this is hands down the best of them. I was surprised how superior this radio sounds. The DSP is outstanding. The display and band scope is attractive and useful in viewing band activity. For the price, I believe this radio is one of the best deals in amateur radio.

W5KG Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Much better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not had this rig but about 2 weeks, but I have found it to be a great transceiver.
I have owned FT920, Mrk 5 field, FT950, and an TT Orion to compare. The receiver is better than all of them. DSP noise reduction is much better and all. I replaced the TT Orion with the FTdx3000D and that comparison the 3000 was better in all areas.
DNR better
DNF better
Scope smaller but better
Menu not as easy but not hard to get use to.
Screen info Much better
Receiver better
Memory channels easier to set up and use
"S" meter I like the choice between the bar graft or "analog"
Maybe not a perfect radio but for the price,close.

Don, W5KG

N1DZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I work mostly CW and this radio does it all. Great receiver, roofing filters with DSP, very good ergonomics, beautiful clean sounding rx audio.
I have connected a SDR-IQ to the RX-out port. This gives me a 200KHz panadapter for point and click DX-ing. Who says you cannot have knobs with a SDR!

Cons:
The internal panadapter display is too small not very usefull.
You have to go through menus to adjust SSB TX power. For cw you can adjust the power with a knob.

KF5UTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 15:17 Send this review to a friend
AWESTRUCK BY PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As former Navy Radioman who got into HAM radio a few years ago at the urging of his wife. I recently moved up to the Yaesu FT-DX 3000 from an FT-840. I tried a number of other radios including an FT-897 and an ICOM 756 Pro III (too expensive used). I also considered the FT-DX 1200 (But after adding up the cost of all the features to make it even close to the 3000 in terms of features it was a no-brainer).

My FT-840 was my favorite because the sensitivity of the receiver. I could hear things other radios just missed outright. The FT-DX 3000 was the clear winner in the receiver sensitivity department. It included stock an amazing DSP, excellent filters, and a very simple menu system.

HUGE PLUS is the USB port (missing on the 1200) - the radio has a built in sound card modem! My MAC recognized it right away and I didn't even have to change my fldigi setup one bit (was used prior with a signalink USB by tigertronics). You can also use the same USB port for rig control as well.

Built in tuner - As expected 3:1 or less and it will tune - Chances are you'll need a good external tuner which I already had.

Microphone - MH31 variant. Nice but not worthy of the radio - I bought the md100 for my 840 and moved it over to the 3000 right away to make an amazing radio sound better.

Audio Reports - This radio seems to put out more DB of signal for the same power than any of the others i've tried. I get consistently better signal reports by 3-5 db. The audio quality is also much improved and the MONITOR feature lets you hear your output.

Parametric EQ - Easy to use and set-up - does amazing things to tailor your microphone and voice for maximum level and readability.

I'd give this a 6 out of 5 if I could. It costs pretty dearly, but you get exactly what you pay for. This radio is WORTH IT!

Colin
KF5UTP

K4ECD Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio - outstanding Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has it all.

Audio: The audio reception is superb, and the reports I get on SSB are always "nice audio" even with stock mic.

DSP: Superb. Better than expected. What more needs to be said. Tweaking the new "Contour" feature, allows those weak stations to be heard with ease. The TI chip makes it all the better.

Bandscope: Yes that bandscope. Some hate it, some love it. I use it to find stations not yet in the cluster, and also to spot split frequency quickly when the station is not announcing it. (5-10 up!)

Record and play back: really nice as a standard feature. Helps when you need to "hear it again", the add-on DVS-6 makes it even better. I call use the included remote to call cq, or just my call.

USB: It works very well. Can even control the rig via PCC-3000 software. Setting the parametric EQ this way is a must. Great little app. This USB port also enables effortless digital mode operation via PC.

No radio is perfect, but for the price/quality/performance, this radio is a 5/5 every time. Next to my 857d, for portable use, I have 2 radios that can serve me well for quite some time.

K9SO Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2014 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Incredible DSP performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio for its receiver. I've been disappointed with the phase noise increase on my Icom radios in crowded band conditions. I only operate via remote control so I won't comment about the rig's ergonomics.
I consider the receiver in this product to be a real breakthrough. The 32 bit Texas Instruments DSP gives a level of performance I never expected and could hardly believe. To say it outperforms the typical 16 bit DSP processors in other radios is an understatement. In some cases, on the higher bands, the noise level drops to near zero when the DSP is enabled and the DX just pops out. The noise blanker and Noise reduction operation make 80m a real DX band for me now. There are some really big signals only 1Khz away in the pileups sometimes. Now I can't tell they're even there. I used to be able to copy strong nearby signals just from the phase noise pumping on my IC-746PRO and IC-775DSP radios.
This is a real value product considering it has the same receiver technologies of its big brother radios in the Yaesu family.
If you're looking for a great receiver at a value price, this is it.