Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 148 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

K4TK Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2018 08:15 Send this review to a friend
just got my 3000 to upgrade from an FT DX 1200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a new FT DX 3000 to upgrade from my FT DX 1200 I had about 2 and a half years. The 1200, by the way, was a FINE radio. So since I liked my 1200 just you might expect, I also likewise am pleased with the 3000. I thought for my review, I'd offer a SLIGHTLY different perspective....a comparison of things between the 1200 and 3000....and a few Pluses or "quirks" I've observed now (having only owned the radio TWO DAYS!):

1. the 3000 has a 9 Mhz IF output on the back for pan adapters, etc. The 1200 did NOT have that feature
2. Likewise, the 3000 has 13 volts, external ALC, RX out, etc. jacks on the back...the 1200 does NOT
3. The others have FULLER, RICHER, ....just better. I ran both radios into a Yaesu SP-2000 speaker...a pretty nice speaker. There is a NOTICEABLE better quality to the 3000 audio (NOT....that the 1200 was bad, mind you...the 3000 just sounds BETTER).
4. My FH-2 memory device....that I also had for the has the function of being able to record 15 seconds of RX audio right from the FH-2. Kind of handy!

Cons/Glitches/Differences that are NOT positive

1. What's with the "BUSY" light on the meter? kind of useless? I mean, what function does it serve. It's ALWAYS on....the moment you turn on the radio. More kind of like a "power on" indication to me? It's mislabeled. NOT....a big deal....just a "what's this?" thing. I had to research to find out if it was normal to be on ALL THE TIME!
2. CW AUTO setting "quirk". Menu item supposed to let you (IF TURNED ON) able to operate your keyer while in SSB mode. It's handy if you want to be able to put out a in tune an amp...while still in SSB. It worked flawlessly on my 1200....just set that menu item to ON and you were done. On the 3000, at FIRST....that didn't work. But experimenting further....i found out if i did the "cluge" of going into EACH AND EVERY band (7, 14, 21, 28, etc.)...and while in SSB...then set mode to CW and press BREAKIN....and then go back to SSB....THEN, it began to work. Seems like a cluge/bug. Or as we say in the software development industry...a KP&W (Know problems and Workarounds).
3.Meter function/Scope setting. On the plus....the 3000 Scope function seems BETTER than my 1200 scope function (yes, I had added the optional FFT board on that radio). When i push scope function, the scope constantly updates on the 3000. I don't remember my 1200 doing that? BUT....ON THE NEGATIVE...and I've seen others comment on this "glitch"...when in AUTO mode on the Scope, the meter no longer seems to function "properly" in...there is a delay in tracking or it doesn't deflect "normally". If i turn AUTO OFF ....on the scope...then the meter functions normally. It's as if the meter deflection can't keep up with the AUTO mode on the scope? At any rate, my 1200 did NOT have any meter "abnormalities"....but then again, my I said...didn't CONSTANTLY scan when in that might be the difference. Kind of like the BUSY light thing....not a big I can take the Scope out of AUTO and the meter is fine. Oh, it seems to have LESS affect on CW...than it does on SSB. SSB...the meter just can't track/keep up....when Scope is in AUTO.
4. AND THE ONLY ONE I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT/FOUND A WORK AROUND...that's also a bit more disturbing to me: In CW decode, my 1200 (with the FFT board of course!)...would decode NOT ONLY the received CW...but would decode YOUR xmitted CW. You could practice sending the decode window....see your spacing ...your letters, etc. When programming the could watch the decode window and see if your timing/spacing was good on the recorded message. On my 3000, I'm NOT seeing ANY xmitted CW? Is it a missed setting? I don't think i have my 3000 set almost exactly like i had my 1200. Is it a firmware upgrade thing? I don't think so, i checked the firmware versions the first time i turned on the radio. OR....IS IT.....the 3000 just doesn't do that feature? That would be odd to me....that the 1200 does it...and the 3000 doesn't? ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS LAST ONE????

So, like the radio....just doing some comparison to my 1200....
N3RTD Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2018 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Amazing is the best word to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have done alot of research before buying one of these. Side by side comparisons and YouTube videos and real world use. Icom doesnt come close to this radio in a real world test either ssb or cw. Ease of use, well some say they think it is hard to setup due to menus. The truth is the features that you need menu searching for are all set and forget. Once set you should never need to go there again. The buttons on the radio all are double duty, if you want to change anything in the sub menu , just press the button that controls the feature you wish to adjust like maybe the noise blinker, press and hold the NB button for five seconds and the menu pops up on the NB IF adjustment location. Same for Contour, same for antenna setup, same for everything that has a button. The processor / power control. The processor only needs set once, once set then go to the menu control and set the power/ compressor button and set it to rf power you are done. There is basically a button or a knob for every function on this radio. People who cannot figure it out do not want to. Functions and features are the most important things you pay for. Yaesu is the best bang for the dollar in that department. You can pay $4500 for an icom that does not have the features this radio has. Minus the second receiver this transceiver is loaded with more than you need. The scope does what is is designed to do, if you want a spectrum analyzer buy one, if you want a capable receiver this is the one.
VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2018 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this FTDX3000 for several years now and it has performed very well on both CW and SSB.
Lately I've been using it on FT8. The internal USB interface provides a simple USB connection to a computer running digital programs including FT8. No external interface is necessary and it seems this is not well known. You need to install the USB driver and cable and you are all set to go. This appears to be undocumented in the manual but there are plenty of online instructions for this if you need help. One such is found at:

Some menu settings do need to be changed.

I've never used the built in scope as I really do not need or use visual tuning with this transceiver so I cannot comment on how good or bad it is, although panoramic displays are what are usually provided with SDR receivers and those can be very useful. I have no accessories connected, the basic transceiver is enough. Noise reduction is reasonable and there are many ways to narrow the passband and reject interference if needed. After over 20 years using a Yaesu FT-1000D I find this radio is just overall better and that is a great recommendation. One thing-- you do need a good noise free outboard power supply. At 100 watts maximum output it will easily drive any of the current legal amplifiers available.

By the way I don't know where the "D" comes from as I see people writing FTDX3000D, maybe printed on the box, but my radio only has FTDX3000 on the front panel with no "D".
VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2018 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2+ years of using the yaesu Ftdx3000D connected to an LP pan2 panadapter with Xonar U7 soundcard for SDR capabilities it's been great. Even without running SDR I really enjoy using the transceiver. The reciever is my favourite part of the transceiver. Much better & completely different receiver than the ftdx1200, no comparisons. Being able to cut out 20-30db signals 2-3khz away is dueable with a few tweaks. Tx is versatile with eq & BW options. There's pros & cons on all transceivers but I'm pretty satisfied with the ftdx3000 which before purchase was compared to ts590sg & ic7600. Personal opinion it's a good rig.
MW3FLI Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2017 10:50 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had an old Yaesu FT-1000MP which was really struggling with local S9 of QRN all over the hf bands, tried for nearly a year to get rid but could not. Bought this FTDX3000 and the difference is amazing, no more S9 of QRN usually around the S1 mark on 20m and nothing anywhere else on hf. Absolutely fantastic receive and lovely audio from it using my MD-100 microphone.
AF4HL Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this rig for a year now, and I just can't find anything bad to say about it.

I operate almost exclusively CW on the HF bands and always operate barefoot, but my few tries at SSB have resulted in great signal reports with just the stock settings.

The receiver still blows my mind - weak signals (S0 - S1) are clear and loud, and the filters are excellent. All of the controls I need are right under my fingers, and it's just a joy to operate.

I still get excited when I turn it on - I love this radio !!!
AJ8MH Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2017 11:05 Send this review to a friend
OK to Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The FTDX-3000 is a good radio for the current selling price. I purchased one when Yaesu was giving a $300 rebate, so the price was under $2k in late 2016. However, after using the radio daily for a couple of months running 30 watts to drive an Elecraft KPA-500, it developed an ALC/Power problem on 18, 21 and 24.5 mHz bands. From a cold start at 100 watts CW keyed into a dummy-load, the ALC meter would show below blue scale on these 3 bands. All other bands showed the ALC meter reading above the blue scale. After several minutes, I'd key the radio and the ALC meter would show a decrease in ALC. In less than an hour, the ALC meter would read nothing and the output power would be reduced to around 80 watts on the 3 bands in question. Other bands would remain at full power and normal ALC meter readings. Setting the radio to 30 watts CW to drive the amplifier worked fine on all bands EXCEPT 18, 21 and 24.5 mHz bands. Power will only be 10-15 watts output. RTTY and SSB power were also low on the bands in question. I sent the radio to Yaesu (close to $130 shipping) and the finals were replaced under warranty. I never would have guessed bad finals with the indicated symptoms. Well, the radio has been back in service for 5 months and has been working fine.

A couple other comments... I never use the analog meter display. I like to watch ALC and PO at the same time, and these can only be seen together using the bar-display. I find the scope function next to useless, and I've tried all the settings. Looks nice, but that's about it. I also don't use the built-in CW, PSK and RTTY functions, since I use FLdigi with a homw-brew interface. These functions work great, I just don't use them. All other functions of the radio are great, especially the receiver and its effective NB and DSP features.

My other radios include an FT-950, FT-847 and FT-757.
VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Still Great after 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after reading a few pages of comments that were mainly "this is a GREAT RADIO" and the great things it can do, I must get the manual out as I maybe missing out on knowing a few of the features plus I haven't done any UPGRADES as yet.. But Overall, I just still love My FTDX-3000. The Only thing I mainly miss is the Antenna Tuner like on My FT-920 which adjusts as you move frequency and the shuttle jog which adjusts the tuning speed. But as My antennas ARE resonant on EACH band I only use the tuner for fine tuning. Hi Hi. I have been thinking about "other" radios, but other reviewers Here, are saying the FTDX-3000 is better, so that makes Me feel better too...Hi Hi. Very Highly recommended... Lee VK2LEE
WB4RA Rating: 2/5 Apr 13, 2017 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Nothing bu problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio in July 2016. Two months after receiving it the USB control board went out. It cost me $100 to send it back to Yaesu for the warranty repair and they kept the radio for six weeks. It wasn't until I contacted the district rep that I got the radio repaired and returned.

Then in March 2017 (radio was 9 months old) the same problem with the USB control board. This time after bitching Yaesu sent me a return label. Once again they had the radio five weeks.

No one at Yaesu wants to tell me exactly what was repaired. Only general information.

I'm fighting with Yaesu to try and get my warranty extended because they have had my radio 1/3 of the time.

Radio works nice when it works, Yaesu stinks!
G4YVM Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2017 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig and excellent value for money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, this radio is superb. Thats the first thing.
I am 100% CW on the HF bands so my critique is based on CW use only! It is superb. The receiver is first class and the digital aspects are top notch too. What do I compare this to?
Well, I have had a TS590...sold due to ear bleading audio. I have a K2, Kx2, Kx3 and have had a 7300 and all the usual other radios...and the FTDx 3000 is the one I keep. Very recently I bought an Icom 7600 and sat the icom and yaesu next to each other: the Yaesu is a better Rx, quietr Rx and MUCH better audio for listening to for long periods. I wish I could say the more expensive Icom was the winner, but I cant.

What about that awful waterfall the Yaesu has...I mean what a joke, right? NO. The waterfall on the Yaesu is the single best bit of kit in my shack for finding weak signals after my own ears. The blue background changes, almost imperceptibly when it hears ANYTHING...I turn the dial and work 'em. Using my eyes AND my ears to find weak dx has really opened up a new mode of fun for is great. The waterfall also shows what signals have just stopped of course, and this works for weak ones too as I tune up and down. Strong signals are easy to see of course, but the weak ones take some practice - it's worth it! The waterfall works!

The DNR is good and makes a huge difference.

Value for money? Sure is...I have two friends with FTDx5000s so we have compared them of course. I think the 3000 is 90% the 5000 for a third the price: I'd LOVE a 5000 because they look so darned good, but unless I get a lot better off I wont be trading the 3000 just for the looks.

The audio out of the radio is also good, it has a soft almost valve sound to it and I can listen to it for hours at a stretch when the bands are open. It is a delight to the ears.

So, if I rate the 3000 highly as a CW rig, why only a 4? Ergonomics! Fiddly buttons are a pain it has to be said, and what the heck is that mini keypad?!!? Not having the CW memories on the front panel is a crime. Scrolling through modes is a drag. The internal auto ATU is a right laugh I can tell you. It works and it works well...but you'd better pull up a chair and pop the ear defenders on. Here's a heads up to Yaesu about ATUs...LDG and Elecraft both have them taped...have a chat with them and learn something. There are a few other niggles but not enough to counter the superb technical performance of this radio.

If you're in the market for a really good CW rig and you cant spring for a FTDx5000, K3 or a Kx3 then grab a yaesu will be impressed.