Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Specs on par with the best on the market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree with most reviewers that the FTDX-3000 has a fantastic receiver. It's among the best on the market. This transceiver plays in the leaque of radios that cost 3 times more and surpasses most of them. One of the most attractive things is its price. This rig still cost you some money but the price is far more fair considering what you get for it.
Looking at the previous reviewer, KD0S, I totally disagree with his statement about the menu. If he would have been following up on his purchase he would know that a recent firmware release not lets him set the power output level by a simply turn on the PRO/CAR knob on the frontpanel. So nothing to fall short here and Yaesu did listen to its customers.
Where I do agree with him is the subject on the mode setting. The push button is not in a good place and for a radio with this features a dedicated mode button for all modes should have been used or if not a bigger and easier to use mode button should have been placed on the panel.
Also in my case I notice some muffled audio with the optional DVS-6 board. It does record the received audio very well but when I record messages to play back on air using almost any kind of mic I trow at it, the audio just is not good. Most microphone elements need the internal EQ when set up for your own voice. I regret the EQ stage is passed by when recording to the DVS-6 and also play back is without EQ. This results in audio that's just not good for playback. I needed to introduce outboard EQ to get decend recorded messages to play back on air. Yaesu should address this in future firmware. I contacted Yaesu UK to tell them.
Some transceivers have better scopes but it never played that important part for me when buying a radio. If this is very important to you consider the use of a sdr panadapter or look for other radios that offer better bandscopes. For me the FTdx-3000 scope is enough to have a quick overview. Also the smaller audio bandscope is good enough to tune to some signals and I find it handy for digital modes with the markers displayed on the screen.
A small extra complaint I have is that the FTdx-3000 does not allow you to use both the RS232 port and the USB port for CAT at the same time. Some other radios do. Yu have to select to use either USB or RS232 for CAT.
I would rate this radio 4,7 on a 5 scale if I hade the chance. But Eham only allows me 4 or 5. No radio is perfect but I rate the FTdx-3000 more than simply a 4. It is so good on air that it makes up for the few minor things that I would have been seen fixed like the DVS-6 audio, the mode button and the use of RS232 and USB for CAT at the same time. Apart from that the transceiver performance is fantastic.

KD0S Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2014 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but still not perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over the last 30 years or so I have owned many HF radios. The FTDX3k has one of the best visual displays of any of the various radios I have owned.

I originally bought this radio to replace my aging FT1000-MKV and placed it in the second op position at my station during the W1AW/0 operations where it made several thousand contacts and I was able to learn to operate it during all different band conditions.

Receiver:
A/B switching between it and the FT1k and other radios on multiple occasions and band conditions proved that the receiver is top notch!

Computer interface:
Interfacing for digital modes was quite easy, and it handles the digital modes with ease.

Menu:
I am totally unimpressed with the menu setup. While Yaesu tried to organize the memories by mode, it falls short in ease of use. For those of us that use an amplifier, going to menu 177 to set the TX power rather than having a front panel control in ssb, and having to go through 4 button presses to change from cw to ssb lowers the radios score.

Auto Tuner:
I don't really know what to say about the tuner, except if you want a radio with a real tuner, this is not the radio for you. It is usable, and will bring that 2:1 SWR down to flat in slightly less time than it takes to make a trip to the fridge and back for a soda. This tuner is about 20 years behind Kenwood. If you are trying to match an SWR of 3.5 or higher, the radio will not even try to tune.

Front panel layout:
While the layout is drastically different than other radios I have had, it is easy to get the hang of. I would prefer to have mode switches rather than a single mode button that you press multiple times to scroll through the different modes. Other than that I am pleased with the layout.

In short, the FTDX-3000 will serve second place at my station even though it has an excellent receiver.
The beginning ham will find this a top notch radio to use with a good external antenna tuner and when in the JT modes will wonder why their received signal reports from those with lesser receivers are lower.

OR5A Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Strong contender but room for improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owning quiet a few different radios I couldn't resist buying the FTdx-3000 because of the positive reviews on the receiver part. So the FTdx-3000 sits now in my shack next to a bunch of other radios like the Elecraft K3, Icom IC-7600, Kenwood TS-990. I sold the IC-7700 that I no longer have.

So the FTdx-3000 gets some nice competition over here and all the A/B test could start.

Receiver.

Let me start with the receiver since this is a very important part in a radio. Well the FTdx-3000 receiver is very good. It holds its own next to the K3 that has put the benchmark relative high when it comes to big close in signals. To my ears and with my antennas the FTdx-3000 is close or even on the same level as the K3. Roofing filters are good. The optional 300Hz filter is great if you do a lot of cw and digital modes. CW is fine with no ring tones even down to 100 and 50Hz. Nice.

Transmitting.

I'm using a Heil Proset with n°6 element so I need the TX EQ to tailor the audio. The PAN EQ does a fine job and menu wise you can set the TX bandwidth to your liking. I get very good audio reports. I think the processor is a bit harsh so I don't use it but power output driving my Acom amplifier is very good and average power is just fine. Audio is crystal clear. Tuner is good, but not the fastest around. 3 antenna jacks is nice.

Ergonomics, layout.

I still think Icom has the benefit over other brand radios. This is a personal taste. I think Icom really understand how a radio must look and be used and controlled from the front panel. The FTdx-3000 is wider than f.e. the IC-7600 who is higher. Yaesu always has produced rather wide transceivers while Kenwood and ICom have another approach. The display is fine and colors are great but the FTdx-3000 lacks decent resolution when the scope is used. People who really adore a scope should look at the Icom radios or the new TS-990. Yaesu has learned from older radios and listened to input of their customers so menus are more pleasant to use but still it took a few firmware updates to get a power knob on the front panel. Playing with filters, bandwidth, contour and notch is great with direct front panel controls and easy to understand graphical displays. The analogue meter is less attractive than f.e. the one in the TS-990 but the led bar will do fine for me and has more info when transmitting. Most important functions have their own front panel button, but I personally find the menu actions to use noise reduction, vox, meter choice, keyer a bit to difficult. First you need to set the scope a few times to go to the buttons menu, next you have to use the arrow keys to select the function and finally the select button to set the function. Not that functional. This is the downside when available space on the front panel is not around. VFO is smooth, I like the typical Yaesu A/B functions and easy split operations. I still find the location of the second vfo info a bit misplaced on the screen.

Interfacing.

These days USB is a must have on a transceiver simplifying cables. The FTdx-3000 supports USB both for CAT and audio and I really like the fact the virtuel second com port that supports real FSK keying without extra cables or interfaces. I think it is a first and a really good thing. On the other hand, I regret that Yaesu, unlike Icom, does not support the simultaneously use of both the USB CAT and RS232 CAT. This is a great feature on both Icom and Kenwood. The FDdx-3000 has both connections but only allows a single to use at the same time. I call on Yaesu to change this in a next firmware release. These days a lot of antennas (Steppir, Ultrabeam) use CAT to be controlled and even recent designs of automated amplifiers now use CAT controlling. A missed opportunity here. The same goes for a USB keyboard. Icom has it on most radios, Kenwood now also on the 990 but Yaesu don't. Knowing the FTdx-3000 can do CW,RTTY,PSK without the use of a computer is is plane stupid to not include keyboard use. You have to enter text using the supplied small keypad and menus. What a deal braker. On the other hand, a lot of possible connections are great on the backside of the radio and finally also normal RCA jacks for amplifiers and even a second 15-pins port for amplifiers including alc, keying, remote power on, etc. over a single cable. Good.

Final verdict.

I think that the FTdx-3000 has great potential. I love the receiver and most things about this radio are great. But it depends on your primary goals. If a big scope is important, look at Icom or the new TS-990. Is the price is your main concern, the FTdx-3000 offers very much radio for a very attractive price being almost 1000$US cheaper than a IC-7600. Also the receiver is on par with the K3 and imho better that the IC-7600. Also tx audio is top notch.

WV8BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
ONE GREAT MEDIUM SIZE TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My choice of the larger transceivers is the Yaesu 1000MP Mark V, none better. After using many medium size transceivers my second choice for my shack is the FTDX3000. Without getting into specifics this is a great transceiver with everything any ham would need to enjoy the hobby. Thanks Yaesu for another great product.

VE3KXX Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2014 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver - excellent TX audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning the FTDX3000 for just over a year I can certainly give the radio high marks!

As a casual amateur radio user and SWL, my review isn't particularly technical or contest/DX oriented but I can say that the radio has performed beyond my expectations.

Prior to my first "big" radio, I have used an array of low to mid-level radios including Kenwood TS-690, TS-440, TS-450, Yaesu FT100, FT450, FT840 and the always excellent Drake TR7 so in most cases I am comparing the 3000 to those listed above.

I really like the receive quality and sensitivity. I do a lot of SW and LW monitoring besides my amateur radio activities and hands down this radio is the best that I've used in years. I am especially pleased that unlike my FT-450, they haven't crippled the receive below 160M.

On transmit I regularly get comments on the great audio that I get with the radio married to the Heil HC5 proset. The EQ settings for the FTDX2000 and the FTDX5000 can be adapted to the 3000 as well.

A couple of downsides is that the second VFO and related functions are a bit confusing to use at times. I've read the manual, got locked into a mode which I struggled to get out of despite following the instructions (60M channel memories). This may have been corrected in a later version of the radio software. Also the headphone jack on mine has become slightly intermittent where when you unplug the headphones, the internal speaker doesn't come back on. I have to plug the headphones back in and remove them sometimes more than a few times to get the contacts in the jack to return. Lastly some of the buttons are quite difficult to get at around the VFO knob if you have large fingers.

The TFT display comes in quite useful for the decoding modes and showing current settings. At first I would have described the display as "gimmicky" but have really grown to like its' usefulness - particularly when it comes to adjusting the DSP filters or tuning digital modes.

In this day of computer-meets-rig world, it would have been nice to have an on-board display port for an external display as well but wasn't an option for this rig.

The RTTY, PSK and CW decoding modes work as advertised and are useful tools if you don't want to drag out your PC software to do the work.

The radio works well with HRD and is now supported as a listed radio. I used to use the FTDX5000 settings before the update was available. Computer control and sound-card are built in so you can control the radio and run digital modes directly from a USB port without any extra cables. On the PC there are 2 virtual com ports which provide PC control and PTT functions.

Make sure that you (or someone who is familiar with the process) upgrades the radio to the latest TFT, Radio and DSP firmware. This makes a big difference from the early version that I got with the radio stock. They have improved many functions, especially the TFT display.

I'm glad that Yaesu are continuing down the same form-factor track with the FT-1200 and the to-be-released FT-991.

I'd give the radio an 8 to 9 out of 10.

W5IGE Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2014 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my new FTDX3000 for one month, and words can’t express how happy I am with it. It is certainly a rig to get excited about. I have been a Ham for 40 years, but have been inactive for a while. Since getting back on the air I wanted a new transceiver, and had done a lot of research into the various offerings in my price range. I decided on the Yaesu. I liked the receiver specs, I wanted a band scope, and I wanted to try out the CW decoder. I have not been disappointed with any aspect.
Right out of the box, I was amazed at how intuitive this rig is. Despite being heavily menu driven, the day-to-day functions I need are right at my fingertips. The ergonomics are well thought out…everything is right where I would want and expect it to be. Within 15 minutes from unboxing, I had it hooked up and on the air. The menu functions are easy to use when specific set-up is necessary, but for normal operation, once set up, menus are generally not needed. The receiver is like nothing I have ever experienced. The RF sensitivity, digital noise blanking/reduction mean that I can pull in weak stations like never before. I have heard many great reviews on the receive quality of this rig, and they are not only true, but you have to hear it to believe it.
I had heard complaints about the band scope, and had been a little concerned before ordering. Certainly the small scope with all the other functions displayed on the LCD is somewhat marginal, but still usable. However, the newer rigs have the full scope function in the firmware. Just tap on the “Scope” button a few times and the full LCD display becomes the scope, which is excellent and very useful.
The CW decoder is nice to have. There is a control in which one must estimate the speed for best results, but it is easy to set. The decoder does have a problem with slower speeds (below 10 WPM). Slower speeds may not decode at all. It seems to do well at the faster speeds, which is what I need the most. It is a helpful tool to augment, not replace a person’s own innate skills at copying CW.
All in all, the FTDX3000 is an outstanding rig. I couldn’t be happier.

HB9OAB Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Price/quality: great 100% transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use FTdx3000d for almost 2 years: it is the best receiver and transmitter in my shack.
In 40 years of radio I've used many of transceiver. This receiver has good DSP DRN APF BW SHIFT CONT etc ... filters, the FTdx3000d do exactly what they need to do !!!

Working at 50Hz/APF CW is exceptional (50Hz and not 500Hz!!!) without the classic whistle when many dsp tight that would make it unusable: the FTdx3000d works very well.

I have had many radio, from the early FTdx500/505 to TS288 and 277 and similar to 1000 MKII,until the recent 950 and 2000, to the various DRAKE R4 / T4 to TR7, TenTec from ARGONAUT 509 to recents ... from Kenwood TS840 590 930 940 and 950SDX (great radio) and many others including Elecraft Kx etc ...

The last used a FT2000 that had and has several "flaws": with the FTdx3000d I are reborn.

Finally a trasceiver with ZERO structural defects and that works immediately as you turn it on, by menu default!!
With the latest UPDATE MAIN_0119 also the SSB power is adjusted on the front which was a complication of use.
It has a particular ergonomics, not a defect but a constructive choice that competes with the best brands on the market also four times more expensive.

Do you want a dual receiver and you like more buttons? Logically not choose it!

You want a transceiver more than 4 times expensive? Then take a TS990.

FTdx3000d has an essential feature: cheap and it works perfectly well and with a great menu and management with the filters and the dsp working so exceptional.

I have some collection of ideas and evidence on my PC server, try them to:

PRO: ALL
CONS: NONE
FAULTS: NOTHING

From the exceptional characteristics, quality price, definitely a transceiver certainly not to be underestimated!

Policy: This document does not state in any real admission or confirmation of personal details, described here only for information purposes and descriptive.

G7JZD Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Latest update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu have just released their latest update,07/08/2014 update 01-19, it should now please all the users that wanted a power output control.
It is now there, download the update then all you need to do is turn the proc/car knob to increase or decrease the output power.
Now makes a very good rig into even a better rig.
Myself have like the rig from its introduction into the UK and still like it.

WA3DQS Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Great with HRDv6  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I upgraded from the FT-950, I first considered the FT-1200, but the lack of USB port on the FT-1200 convinced me to get the FT-3000. It's worth the extra bucks, if only for the built-in CW and RTTY decode functions. Built-in 9 MHz IF output works great with SDR-IQ (or other panadapters,) so I use internal bandscope on a wide sweep and the SDR-IQ with a narrow sweep. If you're still using HRDv5, this rig (or any newer rig) will require that you upgrade to HRDv6. Well worth it to have on-screen sliders for things like IF shift and RF output power, and both the rig control and digital modes work on the same USB cable - sweet! Most of the menu choices are not used frequently, but one option I'd really like to see is the ability to export the menu and memory settings - that would make the firmware upgrades much more user-friendly. Like any menu-driven radio, there's a bit of a learning curve with the FT-3000, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great RX/TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 3000 for about 16 months and this is a follow up after a good time operating this rig on many different bands. If your buying this radio for the band scope and need a fish finder that look fancy please buy an Icom but the RX in this radio will sit neck and neck or even best an IC7800, its the 5000's little brother. After having owned in the past 3 years the TS590 and the K3 IMO this is the best I have used without spending $4k-$5K for a radio. If some out there want this to be like a FT1000MP well in todays market the FTDX5K would be the modern day FT1KMP, I owned three of the mp's and for its time and loaded with the IRC roof and filters it was one of the best all around DX/contesting rig around but these newer down conversion DSP machines do more. On the low bands the 3K does an excellent job at pulling weak signals out of the noise and the filtering is very good. On the higher bands the low noise floor of this radio makes weak signal work easy and even on six. The combo of the DSP filtering, notch, IF shift plus contour and APF really shines, the only con is the notch should have a fast mode. I use this radio for DXing, rag chew and dabble in some contest and find it does more than a good enough job. The TX section is very good and find the need for outboard audio section not needed, the built on EQ work very well. The only thing I wish Yaesu would have done is make a video out for a separate monitor, who knows maybe they will make an optional adapter to plug into the IF out and be able to display onto a monitor screen, kinda like the DMU they made for the FT2000. Maybe Yaesu will come out with a FTDX4000 with a second RX section, 100W, built in supply and a video output sometime soon and that would be a complete line of HF*6 radio's but for a street price under $2400 the FTDX3000 is one very good radio.