Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2014 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just traded my Icom IC7600 I had for five years and really enjoyed using for a new YAESU FTDX 3000D. Why did I make the trade? Good question. Just compare the ARRL product review specifications between the two radios. The 3000 indeed has a very low noise floor. DNR really is amazing. I am getting excellent audio reports using a Heil PR 781 studio mike. I have customized the audio equalizer settings. Easy to do. I am in a learning curve as I have not had a Yaesu rig since 1995. I am doing more reading of the manual than on air time at this point. First contact on the rig 5/9 in New Zealand! That was on 20 meters. Most of the Eham review for this rig are spot on. A few I have dismissed as inaccurate. So far I am pleased with my decision to return Yaesu after all these years and by the way I have excellent support with my questions to Yaesu Tech Support.

VA3AQB Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a fantastic Radio, have a few other radios in the shack but only want to use this radio.
Great receiver. Audio is second to none on this radio, better than my Kenwood radio. It is capable of 4k audio with the power up sequence, holding TXW + C.S button then powering up, in menu #104 3000WB will be replaced with TTBF so eSSB guys should be happy.
I find the menus easy to use, basically set it and forget it. Easy to set up for digital modes with the USB connection or R232, only problem you cannot use both, menu option is USB or R232 so with need to use a virtual port program to run some things at the same.
I have played with my friends TS590 as this I feel is the Kenwood’s close’s competitor to this radio but find the 3k for me much better in performance RX & TX.

2E1VAR Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Great set  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned mine for 6 months now. Previous radios include IC706/746/7400, TS2000, FT847/857.
This is in a different league and is well worth the extra cash. Amazing HF transeiver, audio set up helps me bust pile ups with my meagre 50watts allowance.
The menus aren't an issue, standard settings work fine, as you learn you can delve in and have a play !
Auto ATU takes time to 'learn' the settings at first but now I never press tune.
You must change the contour setting as is well documented. Menu 108, crank it up to 10. Now the contour dial really makes a difference.
I don't have a single critisism.
Latest firmware update fixes the issue of going into menus to change TX power, drops onto the Carrier dial.

KB8GAE Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 3k for over a year. I listen to a lot of hf nets and am a casual cw dxer and cw/ rtty contester. My antennas are wires & verticals and I don’t use an amp. I have found that all the features on the 3k work. The antenna tuner is usable but covers limited bandwidth and needs re-tuned way more my Kenwoods. I enjoy the band scope but it has limited resolution which restricts its usefulness.

Ergonomics : I’m retired and use the rig a lot. I know the rig well, so menus and lack of back lighted buttons aren’t problems for me . If you only use the 3k a few times a month these could be issues.

SSB: Transmit and receive audio are excellent. Low noise, pleasant sound, this rig is a pleasure to listen to. I have the contour set at plus 10 and it can really bring signals out of the mud. I use a Heil HM-12 and took some time to set up the Parametric Equalizer which lets you tweak the 3k for your voice.

Cw dxing: I was surprised how much I enjoy this rig for cw dxing. I love the Tuning Offset Indicator which lets you rapidly see when you are exactly on a calling stations frequency. When operating split I set VFO A for narrow bw and VFO B for wide bw so I can hear a large slice of the pileup when pressing the TXW switch and using the VFO B Knob to tune with. I have found it very effective in pileups for a single receiver rig. I set up the memories and use the FH-2 keypad to send with, which really reduces fatigue.

Cw/Rtty contests: Using a only USB cable between the 3K and PC, I use N1MM to key the rig in cw contests and N1MM & FLDIGI for rttty contests. I worked 400 + qso’s in the ARRL CW SS and the rig and software performed flawlessly. The filtering is rock solid and I am able to work stations in crowded band conditions.

IMHO the for the price FTDX-3000 is an excellent all round rig. I love mine.

KE5RHE Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A little about myself. I have owned a IC-7000 and a FT-450. I have also spent considerable time operating an IC-7800 into a 6 element 20m beam at 110 feet. But my QTH has a simple rotatable dipole at 30 feet. I only work SSB and digital so I cannot comment on CW performance.

First of all this is a quiet radio. I am not talking about DSP functionality but the receiver itself. The RF gain tends to stay at about 50% on the dial and AF gain at 50-75. With this setting there is very little noise.

Some comments on common topics:

Selectivity/Sensitivity: WAY better than either of my other radios. I can always tell stations are there but often times cannot work them except on the FT3000. But this is to be expected. I have done an A/B comparison at a friends QTH using the setup described above. That day I was not able to work anyone with the 7800 that I could not with the 3000. I am not saying its is as good as a 7800 but on that particular day the higher priced radio did not get me better performance regarding the ability to work a station.

Bandscope: People that say this is worthless are spoiled. No, its not an high end Icom or panadapter but it does give you good information. I have worked a lot of DX and W1AW stations before the pileups because I noticed activity on the band I happened to be on. In short, it will show you strong signals very well but weak signals will not be obvious.

Ergonomics: I am lucky enough to live near an AES and used the radio a few times before the purchase. The text is hard to read in a poorly lit room. I think its due to the bright LCD. The controls (or lack of) does not bother me like it does some people. Power level was added as an option on the comp level knob in the last software update. If you have been using new radios for a while I doubt you find this radio troublesome. But if you are coming from a 1000 or 5000 you might be a little annoyed. After setting up the behavior I wanted in the menus I have not needed a function not available on the front panel. I do wish the front panel menu items (DNR, ANF, PROC, etc) had softkeys as well.

DSP: Works well and very intuitive.

USB port: Install the PC drivers correctly and it will show up as two serials ports (1 CAT) and a USB audio device.

My biggest complaint is that it does not have a way to setup a dedicated "auto tune" button. Previous radios had a feature that would allow me to hold a button to tune. The radio would revert to CW at low power and key up when the button was held. And it would revert back with released. This radio has this but only for the internal tuner. It is cumbersome to do this manually using the knobs/buttons.

I do have a few other complaints but nothing unexpected. Read the first few pages of the manual before you buy and there should be no surprises what this radio can or cannot do. 73's.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
THis is my second review of the FTDX3K and after owning it for a year and a half I have seen some small changes in this rig, thanks to Yaesu for changing the firmware so you can now adjust output power from the front panel. The RX section held up real well during the CQWW SSB contest and was very pleased to copy S5-7 signals on 3.799 while less than 3Khz away the K3LR M/M contest crew were tearing it up at 50+ over S9 CQing almost none stop. Yes I heard some buck shot but the weaker EU DX signals could be heard and worked. The old MP's would have been done. With modest wire antennas and 43' Zero 5 vertical I was able to have some real fun and after 30+ hours never felt my ears ringing cause the audio was mostly very clean except for some stations that just dont know how to set there audio up right. Many times I was told my TX was was very clean and easy to understand. No issues with the logging software N1MM+ all weekend and all the selectivity controls worked great like the Shift/Width/Notch and Contor when it got very busy working stations with clowns to the left and jokers to my right. This radio is for contesters and DXers who want a good radio and there budget doesn't streach to $4k-$5K range so for around the $2K mark it more than makes the grade IMHO.

VK2LEE Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2014 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Best Receiver and a great Radio overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, After owning this radio for nearly 2 months and reading the manual many times... I haven't gotten very far really. As noted by other owners - All the printed labels are Too Small and impossible to read without a light shining on them. The frequency/band buttons are especially labelled very small!! and NO LED to show which one is activated, which also would also give You an idea where the other ones are located!! I haven't ventured into the Remote Control Keypad or the Digital Voice recorder as yet. Maybe the Remote Keypad or a computer keyboard is supposed to be used?? This Radio has excellent Receiver Audio and Transmit Audio although I still have to match My Voice to the Radio!! I am getting excellent reports.
VK2LEE LEE

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Specs on par with the best on the market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree with most reviewers that the FTDX-3000 has a fantastic receiver. It's among the best on the market. This transceiver plays in the leaque of radios that cost 3 times more and surpasses most of them. One of the most attractive things is its price. This rig still cost you some money but the price is far more fair considering what you get for it.
Looking at the previous reviewer, KD0S, I totally disagree with his statement about the menu. If he would have been following up on his purchase he would know that a recent firmware release not lets him set the power output level by a simply turn on the PRO/CAR knob on the frontpanel. So nothing to fall short here and Yaesu did listen to its customers.
Where I do agree with him is the subject on the mode setting. The push button is not in a good place and for a radio with this features a dedicated mode button for all modes should have been used or if not a bigger and easier to use mode button should have been placed on the panel.
Also in my case I notice some muffled audio with the optional DVS-6 board. It does record the received audio very well but when I record messages to play back on air using almost any kind of mic I trow at it, the audio just is not good. Most microphone elements need the internal EQ when set up for your own voice. I regret the EQ stage is passed by when recording to the DVS-6 and also play back is without EQ. This results in audio that's just not good for playback. I needed to introduce outboard EQ to get decend recorded messages to play back on air. Yaesu should address this in future firmware. I contacted Yaesu UK to tell them.
Some transceivers have better scopes but it never played that important part for me when buying a radio. If this is very important to you consider the use of a sdr panadapter or look for other radios that offer better bandscopes. For me the FTdx-3000 scope is enough to have a quick overview. Also the smaller audio bandscope is good enough to tune to some signals and I find it handy for digital modes with the markers displayed on the screen.
A small extra complaint I have is that the FTdx-3000 does not allow you to use both the RS232 port and the USB port for CAT at the same time. Some other radios do. Yu have to select to use either USB or RS232 for CAT.
I would rate this radio 4,7 on a 5 scale if I hade the chance. But Eham only allows me 4 or 5. No radio is perfect but I rate the FTdx-3000 more than simply a 4. It is so good on air that it makes up for the few minor things that I would have been seen fixed like the DVS-6 audio, the mode button and the use of RS232 and USB for CAT at the same time. Apart from that the transceiver performance is fantastic.

KD0S Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2014 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but still not perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over the last 30 years or so I have owned many HF radios. The FTDX3k has one of the best visual displays of any of the various radios I have owned.

I originally bought this radio to replace my aging FT1000-MKV and placed it in the second op position at my station during the W1AW/0 operations where it made several thousand contacts and I was able to learn to operate it during all different band conditions.

Receiver:
A/B switching between it and the FT1k and other radios on multiple occasions and band conditions proved that the receiver is top notch!

Computer interface:
Interfacing for digital modes was quite easy, and it handles the digital modes with ease.

Menu:
I am totally unimpressed with the menu setup. While Yaesu tried to organize the memories by mode, it falls short in ease of use. For those of us that use an amplifier, going to menu 177 to set the TX power rather than having a front panel control in ssb, and having to go through 4 button presses to change from cw to ssb lowers the radios score.

Auto Tuner:
I don't really know what to say about the tuner, except if you want a radio with a real tuner, this is not the radio for you. It is usable, and will bring that 2:1 SWR down to flat in slightly less time than it takes to make a trip to the fridge and back for a soda. This tuner is about 20 years behind Kenwood. If you are trying to match an SWR of 3.5 or higher, the radio will not even try to tune.

Front panel layout:
While the layout is drastically different than other radios I have had, it is easy to get the hang of. I would prefer to have mode switches rather than a single mode button that you press multiple times to scroll through the different modes. Other than that I am pleased with the layout.

In short, the FTDX-3000 will serve second place at my station even though it has an excellent receiver.
The beginning ham will find this a top notch radio to use with a good external antenna tuner and when in the JT modes will wonder why their received signal reports from those with lesser receivers are lower.

OR5A Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Strong contender but room for improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owning quiet a few different radios I couldn't resist buying the FTdx-3000 because of the positive reviews on the receiver part. So the FTdx-3000 sits now in my shack next to a bunch of other radios like the Elecraft K3, Icom IC-7600, Kenwood TS-990. I sold the IC-7700 that I no longer have.

So the FTdx-3000 gets some nice competition over here and all the A/B test could start.

Receiver.

Let me start with the receiver since this is a very important part in a radio. Well the FTdx-3000 receiver is very good. It holds its own next to the K3 that has put the benchmark relative high when it comes to big close in signals. To my ears and with my antennas the FTdx-3000 is close or even on the same level as the K3. Roofing filters are good. The optional 300Hz filter is great if you do a lot of cw and digital modes. CW is fine with no ring tones even down to 100 and 50Hz. Nice.

Transmitting.

I'm using a Heil Proset with n°6 element so I need the TX EQ to tailor the audio. The PAN EQ does a fine job and menu wise you can set the TX bandwidth to your liking. I get very good audio reports. I think the processor is a bit harsh so I don't use it but power output driving my Acom amplifier is very good and average power is just fine. Audio is crystal clear. Tuner is good, but not the fastest around. 3 antenna jacks is nice.

Ergonomics, layout.

I still think Icom has the benefit over other brand radios. This is a personal taste. I think Icom really understand how a radio must look and be used and controlled from the front panel. The FTdx-3000 is wider than f.e. the IC-7600 who is higher. Yaesu always has produced rather wide transceivers while Kenwood and ICom have another approach. The display is fine and colors are great but the FTdx-3000 lacks decent resolution when the scope is used. People who really adore a scope should look at the Icom radios or the new TS-990. Yaesu has learned from older radios and listened to input of their customers so menus are more pleasant to use but still it took a few firmware updates to get a power knob on the front panel. Playing with filters, bandwidth, contour and notch is great with direct front panel controls and easy to understand graphical displays. The analogue meter is less attractive than f.e. the one in the TS-990 but the led bar will do fine for me and has more info when transmitting. Most important functions have their own front panel button, but I personally find the menu actions to use noise reduction, vox, meter choice, keyer a bit to difficult. First you need to set the scope a few times to go to the buttons menu, next you have to use the arrow keys to select the function and finally the select button to set the function. Not that functional. This is the downside when available space on the front panel is not around. VFO is smooth, I like the typical Yaesu A/B functions and easy split operations. I still find the location of the second vfo info a bit misplaced on the screen.

Interfacing.

These days USB is a must have on a transceiver simplifying cables. The FTdx-3000 supports USB both for CAT and audio and I really like the fact the virtuel second com port that supports real FSK keying without extra cables or interfaces. I think it is a first and a really good thing. On the other hand, I regret that Yaesu, unlike Icom, does not support the simultaneously use of both the USB CAT and RS232 CAT. This is a great feature on both Icom and Kenwood. The FDdx-3000 has both connections but only allows a single to use at the same time. I call on Yaesu to change this in a next firmware release. These days a lot of antennas (Steppir, Ultrabeam) use CAT to be controlled and even recent designs of automated amplifiers now use CAT controlling. A missed opportunity here. The same goes for a USB keyboard. Icom has it on most radios, Kenwood now also on the 990 but Yaesu don't. Knowing the FTdx-3000 can do CW,RTTY,PSK without the use of a computer is is plane stupid to not include keyboard use. You have to enter text using the supplied small keypad and menus. What a deal braker. On the other hand, a lot of possible connections are great on the backside of the radio and finally also normal RCA jacks for amplifiers and even a second 15-pins port for amplifiers including alc, keying, remote power on, etc. over a single cable. Good.

Final verdict.

I think that the FTdx-3000 has great potential. I love the receiver and most things about this radio are great. But it depends on your primary goals. If a big scope is important, look at Icom or the new TS-990. Is the price is your main concern, the FTdx-3000 offers very much radio for a very attractive price being almost 1000$US cheaper than a IC-7600. Also the receiver is on par with the K3 and imho better that the IC-7600. Also tx audio is top notch.