Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 133 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this gem for over a year purchased new at radioworld just down the road here in Toronto Ontario Canada & before purchasing I researched on what was out , what was coming out , researched for a LONG time on what would reach my operating standards , everything about this transceiver has reached my expectations , was a decision between the ts590sg, icom 7600 & yaesu ftdx3000, obviously writing this review because my choice was the 3000, used the transceiver as is for the first few months & than connected lp pan2 panadapter with Asus Xonar U7 external soundcard with laptop & external speakers for SDR, without SDR connection this transceiver DSP still shines in my opinion , with SDR connected from usb port on transceiver it is also very sweet , regardless , the down conversion first IF @ 9mhz is great, very low signal to noise ratio ,it's got so much positive settings & options , menu is very easy to use & set , got my hi cut low cut SSB DSP settings set up to where a 1-2khz separation with even +20db signals can be cut out with just a touch of the digital notch & width , basically if you know what your doing you can get the receiver working amazingly , get used to the filters & receiver options , this transceiver is a winner in my opinion , right up there with all the other high end & direct / down conversion receivers in the high end transceivers , currently running my FTdx3000 with a SDR & with Nap3 & HRD software, TX is versatile with BW & eq options settings, CW & digital decode, there's so much more !!! Cant compare it to the FTdx1200 & FT2000 that's for sure or even a whole bunch of the other transceivers on the market, you wanna a transceiver with a good receiver go with one of my favorites Elekraft K3, TS590sg, TS990, or FTdx3000, FTdx5000 & FTdx9000 down conversion receivers & Icom has there high end IC7800, IC7851 & the IC7300 which has been pretty good with its direct conversion, anything else is just OK ( basic ) or your better off with the older Yaesu FT1000 models or the Icom IC775dsp & IC756 pro models or Kenwood TS950 & TS870 models. Im sure there will be many more good teanscievers on the market from here on foward. To each there own, Got pictures on qrz under my call sign VA3MLV
M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Still Brill  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned many radios - many more than once so have plenty of experience to form the basis of what is good and bad in terms of HF Transceivers.

I have recently gone back to the FTDX-3000. What a receiver! Its so close to the FTDX-5000 - for the casual op, there's no difference.

With most radios on the market having excellent specs nowadays what sets the 3000 apart? It's the warm, rich audio - even from the internal speaker and the DSP that pushes the noise and dirt down, and brings the otherwise hard to hear stations up.

I toyed with trying an FTDX-1200 but the 300Hz roofing filter and general selectivity numbers made me go for another FTDX-3000.

I promise to keep this one - at least for a month!
IU2GFF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2016 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a class radio. RX is great and TX audio is very clean.
The layout of the front panel is rational, ergonomics are fine.

99% of a top notch transceiver for half the price.

What's missing for perfection?
1. DNR and DNF are both hidden in a menu.
2. The same apply for monitor audio level, hidden in menu #35. A knob on the front panel would be a better solution.
3. Not full Mac compatible. At least, yeas should make it Mac compatible for firmware upgrades.

KM6AXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Instructions lacking on one area I noticed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not have a great deal of experience with radios (a newbie) so I have no reason not to give this radio a 5. I does more than I need that's for sure. But I can offer one helpful tidbit for other new folks. You all know about "Instruction Manuals" - either difficult to read or not totally clear on different points. Here is what I discovered that may save you time/aggravation. On the front display where it says "Keyer Off", you will not be able to make that read "Keyer On" if you happen to be in the "CW Decode mode". You must get out of Decode mode (by pressing Select for a second or two) and then you can change it to "on". The instructions did not mention that. You may already know that but I didn't :):)
KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2016 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a ftdx 1200, a ftdx3000, and a ftdx5000MP LIMITED and they are all fine. They all operate as the manufacturer states
MI0NWA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an awesome rig with loads of easy to work features, some of which I will probably seldom use. My main reason for purchase was the noise reduction filters which did not fail to impress. A weak distorted signal became clear and very readable once the DNR was switched on and even further clarity can be had by using the contour setting among others.
The only down side was the use of a tune button for use with tuning up when using an amplifier but I found that using a CW key and changing a few settings via the menu you can hit the key while in SSB mode and it will automatically change to CW and reduce power to whatever power you set CW mode too, so I set mine to 10 watts on all bands and when you let the key go it simply goes back to SSB mode. I have since made a little box with a push button running directly to the key socket at the back and screwed it under my shack table so if I need to tune up or just check SWR etc I can push the button instead of having a Morse key sitting there as I donít use CW as a mode but only for tuning purposes.

I still give the rig a 4.5/5 as the tune up button is not a major issue although you would think this rig costing what it does would have this feature, but again, itís not a problem for me personally. I also like the fact you can change from and analogue meter to a bar meter, would have liked to be able to change the colours around though but again not a big problem. The menu is easy to navigate and the CW decode is a cool feature but I doubt I will use it much but itís good to show it off to friends. I have had good reports with this rig although I am using a WI2HY 8 band EQ and a Heil PR40 microphone but Iíve heard guys on the receive end using the same rig with only the stock hand microphone and they sound fantastic. I have also done power out tests and on key down it will show just over 100 watts on an external meter and 50-60 watts average on SSB which is quite normal on a 100w rig.

The only 2 issues some might have:

1. No tune up button but this is easy to work around
2. The ATU isnít great, tends to drift and needs re-tuned more often that other radios Iíve owned. Personally Iíve since bought an LDG 600 Pro II as I plan to use a 600w amp in the near future so not too worried about the onboard tuner although a quick tune with this rig and youíre good to go again. So not a major issue.

Iím still well pleased I bought it and would recommend it to anyone but if you work with antennas that have relatively high SWRís then forget it, this will refuse point blank. Iím using an Optibeam OB9-5 which is close to resonance on all bands and a Double Bazooka on 40m Band which is 1.5 so very little is needed in the tuning department. I don't think it's fair to fault a rig with a working tuner just because it won't tune someone's antenna that's probably sitting at 6.1 as the whole point is to have a well tuned antenna to start and use the tuner to flatten it out to protect the rig, nothing more. I had an FT-1000D that tuned anything but at the end of the day there's no point fooling the rig to much as the antennas performance would be terrible at best anyway if your having to tune down a very high SWR.
M0AZE Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2016 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Another follow up review  Time owned: more than 12 months
CQ Yaesu CQ Yaesu - is anyone listening?

I've owned my rig for 15 months now - time to investigate upgrading the Firmware etc as there are enhancements to be had. One of the reasons I purchased the rig. First observation is how long winded it is and it's Windows based - really! For a company that is technically astute, Yaesu live in a time zone when DOS and RS232 was king.

Even a paper Calendar will indicate the year is 2016. The days of DOS and Windows has moved on since then and there is a little U.S. based company called Apple (still ignored by most suppliers). So I run a Mac with Parallels and Windows 8.1 just for ham radio applications. Nothing else. I'm not debating or challenging Windows versus OSX here - it was my choice.

That aside the people responsible for this Upgrade element need to be released to the competition. I did cal Yaesu UK...

Now we know other manufacturers make this work, Elecraft is a prime example. And they recognise OSX as well - 10 to 20 minute operation - happy days. No virtual COM port driver, no Microsoft.NET and most certainly not a misleading upgrade guide to wade through. No powering on from my 12 volt supply located 3 feet away while pressing up down keys on the set. Maybe Yeasu could re-brand the Firmware upgrade and call it "Twister".

The FT3000 is a serious piece of kit but I'm astounded by the antiquated view Yaesu and other similar manufacturers take over major items such as this. I don't know why we in the ham radio world are constantly denied the best customer experience? USB has been around for a while now - it's been years since I had a computer with RS232.

Yaesu have a proud heritage of making first class pieces of radio equipment and I concur with most of the reviews that the radio element of this rig is very good. But the bar has been raised and Yaesu need to raise their own and move into the 21st century.

Only by using such valuable resources such as eHam will we ever be able to challenge global suppliers and tell them its time to change. As what they farm out to us under their own marketing statements is frankly not good enough!

WD4ED Rating: 3/5 May 20, 2016 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Follow up to Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Consider this as part 2 of my recent review of the FTdx3000d.

In just a day I have received quite a bit of feedback about my review. Some of it confirming some of these issues. Some claiming that "that I must have gotten a bad one!" or similar.

I will start off by saying I have never had a complaint about splatter. I have almost always run some form of station monitoring equipment. So I tend not to run my gear that hard when it comes to audio and bandwidth. Where I did first see the problem was while I was listening to other peoples FTdx3000 while using SDR equipment. Maybe some of you.

I mentioned this in the Yahoo group and received several emails from others that had noticed the same issues with others on the air and their own radios (sensitive mic gain settings and odd ALC indications).

I don't use some repurposed TV dongle as an SDR. I have a ELAD FDM-S2 on the RF Out port, SDR-IQ on it's own antenna and T/R switch and an LP-PAN2 on the IF Out port. When all three at the same time show a station splattering and none of the other stations, some stronger not splattering... well then that station is probably splattering. Don't have an SDR? There are other "old fashioned" ways to tell as well. But not here and now.

When using an SDR, a splattering station sticks out like a sore thumb. When I move to monitor the offending station it was surprisingly often a FTdx3000. Normally running in ESSB with an aftermarket "studio" quality mic and some form of "EQ". In several of these sessions the operators on that "net" were actually glowing to one another about how great their audio was and in particular how great the FTdx3000 audio was. Nobody was complaining that this FTdx3000 was using between 10 and 20khz of bandwidth. This became a pattern, especially on 75m where for some reason it's acceptable to use excessive bandwidth and splatter one another. Always conscious of my own output, I wanted to take a re-look at my own rig and the way I operate it to ensure that wouldn't be me. The condition was easily reproduced.

BTW, you cannot hear your own splatter. Just because nobody has complained to you doesn't mean you are not an offender. There are no obvious indications on the transmitter side either.

Here is a great link. While it doesn't mention the FTdx3000 directly... It could...

Combine "enhanced SSB audio" with a transmitter that is widely known to have marginal (poor in some opinions) third order IMD specs... this should all be expected. It's sadly the norm in HF radios nowadays. What we can do is learn how to operate the radios in a manner they don't cause issues. Station monitoring goes a long way to ensure you have a clean output signal, but even then there is no absolute indication that you are splattering others. It's a combination of subtle indications. The easiest one is your ALC indication. Use it as I described and you will be fine. Get aggressive with the ALC and you are getting close. Add in all of the other audio goodies with an aggressive ALC indication you are probably splattering. It's the part of being a good operator that nobody considers any longer! The thought is that "if it's bad why would Yaesu put it there?" Yaesu is not responsible for what comes out of your antenna. You are.

I noticed this over almost a 3 year period of daily monitoring and operating. I have had others mention to me that they have noticed these issues as well. This is what led me to test my own radio. So if I got a "bad one", many of you did as well, because I've been listening to you! I didn't just get bored one day. It was boredom across many days! :-)

IMHO, it's really more about how you use the radio than the radio itself.

I have remembered a few more of the "quirks" about the radio but enough is enough. :-)

Don't like my review? It's my review and my opinion.

Have questions, I'm always glad to help.

Thanks again and 73s,

KD6G Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Underrated HF Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not about the technical reviews. There are many pages about that. This about my experience and how the Yaesu FTDX 3000 series works for me.

Starting out decades ago working in a CB radio shop and later testing radios for B-52s with Rockwell I started out with the Yaesu FT-101 series, moving on with a Kenwood TS-940s (It was used in the movie Die Hard seeing it every time I watch it), added an Icon IC-7000 for portable use and finally going with the Yaesu FTDX 5000MP as the primary base station. I've been lucky to experience how radio technology has advanced over the years and appreciate the awesome capabilities they currently have. One had to work on a clean signal with the Kenwood TS-940S but it was one of the first to have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) which made a huge difference. I smiled a lot. Today the Yaesu FTDX 5000MP can turn any decent signal into FM broadcast quality and pull out weak signals the Kenwood would never see.

So does the Yaesu FTDX 3000D. When it came out I was big into Field Day as the CW station. Our amateur club was using Kenwood TS-570s as they are light, portable and work well with Bencher Iambic paddles and LogiKey electronic keyers. But when I saw the specs on the 3000 I called up my vendor, gave them my credit card info and told them to send me one when they receive them. I have never been disappointed. It even has a Morse decoder built in for those just starting out to help them along a little. Kids coming to the Field Day station could hear the beeps and see the text getting them interested.

Then I plugged it into the primary station antennas and found that it can receive a signal just as well as the 5000 with very acceptable audio results both on CW and voice. Add in the firmware updates and it now has the waterfall frequency scope which was a separate component on the 5000. Thus one can visually see the transmissions on a band without rotating the main dial until one hears something on a speaker. Add in microphone adjustments and there is no need to buy expensive after market desk mics to get great transmit audio. Add in so many features like USB support directly to a PC and operation is a lot simpler.

The bad news is that most new radios use computer technology and menu systems to access the features previous ones used knobs. That is the major difference between a 5000 with all those knobs and a 3000 with menus. But they did it very well even for us old guys and it becomes second nature in a short time. Young people will nail it as they had computers in 1st grade and smart phones in 6th!

The Yaesu FTDX 3000 series is a very powerful tool and is underrated per all the PR hype the manufacturer's do with their advertisements getting us to spend more on something bigger and better. When I bought it the price was $3500. One can now purchase it for $2300. That is not about the quality of the transceiver but but more about PR and the future of Amateur Radio in a world where smart phone apps are becoming proficient with communications. With the right antennas, grounding system and dedication to expanding your Amateur Radio skills this will do the job nicely for many years. When that smart phone and the cell phone network goes out in a major event the 3000 with battery backup will still get the messages through.

KC2QYW Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2016 19:57 Send this review to a friend
A+ Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My experience with the Yaesu ftdx-3000d is all good.So I give it a 5 rating.