Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

KW4CQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2013 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Performs as well as my FTDX-5000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I've had my FTDX-3000 for just a few weeks now I was eager to compare its performance with my FTDX-5000, which I used for nearly three years. I am primarily a CW DXer and chasing the "rare ones" and DXpeditions has become my current passion, so to speak. Unless you are considering the lab test data on Sherwood's fine web site and comparing the numbers, I don't believe you will actually notice much difference at all between the on-air performance of these two fine radios, especially their receivers. The 2 KHz Narrow Spaced 3rd Order Dynamic Range of the receivers in both radios appears in on-air CW pileups appears to me to be very closely matched. Kicking in the 600 Hz roofing filter provides a very small but still noticeable improvement. My FTDX-3000 was not ordered with the optional 300 Hz roofing filter but it may be worth considering if you are sure you need a slight amount additional performance, which frankly can only be measured with laboratory test equipment. Personally, I am not a big fan of roofing filters for CW work. I get greater benefit using a combination of DSP audio filtering and IF Shift for CW work. Like its bigger brother, the FTDX-3000 can be narrowed down to 50 Hz bandwidth if and when you need it. As for the small difference in the Noise Floor and Receiver Sensitivity figures reported in Sherwood's lab testing report I am sure you will never notice the difference on the air. The FTDX-3000 being a much smaller and compact transceiver necessitated that Yaesu place many of the front panel controls found on the FTDX-5000 in the 3000's menu. To some folks this may seem to be a real downer. However, Yaesu cleverly placed the most "essential" controls in multi-function knobs and switches on the 3000's front panel and after a short learning curve using the radio every thing else becomes second nature. AS for the 3000's Band Scope and Decoder features, all I can say is they are novel but I prefer to use the radio's IF output to feed my LP-PAN spectrum display and after 60 years of hamming I dont need a decoder to copy Mores Code. Anyone considering the FTDX-3000, or any new transceiver for that matter, I highly recommend you first stop in at your local candy store and spin the knobs first before plunking down you hard earned green stamps. That way, unlike the previous reviewer, you won't be disappointed with the knobs. Considering the pretty reasonable price tag on the 3000 it makes an excellent cost vs. performance benefits buy.

WA4OYX Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Fine Rig, Impressed and Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the radio for about three weeks and still putting it through its paces. Receiver is excellent as other reviewers have noted. Running only 90-100 watts, it gets out well on SSB and CW. This is my 50th year as ham and have played with many radios, up to and including FT9000MP, Collins, Drake, Hallicrafters, many more. This is a fine modern addition to that tradition. Recommended!

W8NWN Rating: 3/5 Aug 24, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
NOT IMPRESSED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not impressed. Works the same as all other good radios except that the buttons are smaller and closer together. At present, it is just sitting on my desk doing nothing. I seem to use my other radios first and the DX3000 last. Sorry.

G3WZD Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 01:39 Send this review to a friend
Full marks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just traded in my TS590 for the FTdx3000 and, having owned the new rig for just under a week, my first impressions are all favourable. I run a Yaesu Quadra amplifier (another FB piece of kit) and even though band changing is a bit clunky with a non-Yaesu exciter, I was a little reluctant to give up the 590 because I was used to getting such complimentary reports on the audio quality (perhaps a result of Kenwood's HiFi heritage?). My fears were unfounded and several initial contacts on 20M and 17M have offered unsolicited and very complimentary reports on the audio quality (I use a Heil Gold Elite or Heil headset).

I must admit to doing something I don't normally do, and that is read the manual from cover to cover before turning on the rig - it was a real temptation to do my usual thing and read the book if I got stuck, but I didn't! That said, I have found the rig to be quite intuitive and the menus not hard to work with; I have not had to refer back to the manual too often.

I love the big TFT display and the pseudo analog meter, which reminds me of my venerable FT101ZD (which I have owned since new and it is still going strong!). The band scope is another useful feature.

Split working is pretty easy and the VFO A/B selection is very simple.

My only niggle is that it does not seem to be simple to reduce the RF O/P power in SSB mode - I miss the easy-to-use facility on the TS-590. I am sure there is a simple way to do this outside of the standard menu approach - I just haven't found it yet!

Next step is to try it on RTTY and I'll report more after a longer period of use.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
VERY IMPRESSED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my FTdx3000 for a week now and I'm very impressed. Upgraded from an FT-950, which I liked very much. Operation is similar to the FT-950 and all the station connections, with the exception of the CAT connection, were the same. Performance on receive is superior to the FT-950, particularly the DSP. The DNR on the FT-950 was flakey (especially on CW), but it works perfectly on this radio. On 75 meters this evening, the DNR made it so quiet, it was like listening to the local FM repeater.

The all-button and knob format of the FT-950 was a little more direct to use, but I do like the ergonomics of the button, knob, and arrow keys/memu of this radio. I love the analog-style meter. There is even a clock!

The best thing about this radio is the large color screen. With radio being about hearing, I spend a lot of time staring at the radio and fiddling with the controls. The color display provides me with plenty of sensory input and useful information. The band scope works great and is fun to watch, but I never use it when searching the band. The audio display is interesting and there is a great undocumented feature where it works to show transmit audio as well as receive.

I do a lot of digital modes and have got the built-in USB soundcard and CAT to work fine with FLDigi, RMS Express (WINMOR), and HF APRS Packet. I've not been able to get the FSK/PTT port to work yet, all my software says it can't open that port, so I have to run VOX in the data mode to transmit. May have to call Yaesu or maybe the USB/Serial driver vendor on that one as I really want to run FSK RTTY.

There are 196 menu options with this radio, so there is plenty to play with. A complex radio, with many customizable features is exactly what I want in a radio.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
A Winner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is written by a radio junky. I love ham gear and this rig is on the top of my keeper list. Yes it has an extensive menu with about 85% of the adjustments the average user will never touch. This rig is big, solid, and very well built unlike its american counter parts. It reminds of the build quality of rigs from the past. The screen is beautiful as well as functional. The full screen spectrum monitor is a great feature. If you own an earlier version of this rig I recommend taking the time to do the firmware/TFT upgrade as it is worth the effort. Yaesu will most likely be releasing additional firmware upgrades to improve this radio even more. The DSP/DNR has no rumble and is vastly improved over any other rig I have ever owned including the K3 and TenTec Eagle just to name a couple. I love listening to the AM broadcast band as it really sounds like a high end receiver with no compromise in sensitivity or selectivity. The quiet cw QSK is also awesome if you are a cw op. For features and quality this radio is a bargain at its present pricing.

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My 3000 puts out 100 watts into a 50 ohm load on all ham bands. I have no problems with power output like some have said. I suggest they get a good dummy load and use a cw key to test their output power.

As far as people not liking the menus, I suggest you learn to use the radio properly. On each band you have 3 different possible settings. Example: Set the first push of the band button to CW and the filter you want. Second push of the band button set it to SSB or whatever and set the filter you want, etc.

Once the menus have been set you should not have to reset them. The only thing that I change is the power output setting that I have on the C.S. button. One push of the C.S. button and you set the power out. What is the problem with this?

It's my opinion that people that do not like the 3000 are the ones that have not learned to use it properly.

I like my 3000 better than any ham rig I have ever had in over 37 years of having a FCC license.

N4TB Rating: 3/5 Jul 30, 2013 02:48 Send this review to a friend
OK but not operator friendly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The performance of the radio is excellent. The receiver is as good or better than my FT-1000 MP Mark V. The only problem is on six meters where my radio only put out 65 watts - into a 50 ohm dummy load.

With 196 adjustable menu options you can tweak the performance to your own satisfaction. The problem is finding the right menu setting.

The biggest disappointment was having to scroll through numerous setting to get to the one you want. To go from CW to USB you have to scroll through RTTY/LSB, DATA/LSB and AM just to get to USB. To go from the 600 hz CW filter to the 300 CSP CW filter you must scroll through 3khz,6 khz, 15 khz and 3 khz just to get to the 300hz position.

If you don't mind spending a lot of time pushing buttons rather than making QSO's it is a great radio.

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2013 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for about two months now. I had an FT-1000MP MK V and a TS-590 to perform all the bands and modes that I want to work. I bought the 3K to have an all in one radio that would perform all the tasks of the two radios, and also interface with my Quadra amp. The FTdx-3000D accomplishes what I want very well. The receiver is very quite and the TX audio is good so far. I've installed the latest firmware upgrades and enjoy the increased functionality.

The one thing I don't like is that Yaesu doesn't provide any software to save your menu settings, and this rig has a ton of them. When you perform a firmware update the rig goes back to factory default settings. The TS-590 has some great free software that allows good control of the rig and easy methods of setting and/or restoring menu settings. The 3K has all the same capability of the TS-590, but Yaesu hasn't caught up in the software department. I hope Yaesu continues to pay attention to this rig and the new FTdx-1200 and the comments posted here and provides some control/memory software for these rigs. I guess I could purchase some RT software to save the menu settings, but I'm not sure if all of them will be addressed.

The RF OUT or 9MHz IF OUT can be used with various SDR radios and software to provide a more detailed band scope if you really need one. The built in band scope serves its purpose, but lacks resolution, details and functionality right now. The RF power control features on this rig need some improvement as this is one of the most frequently used functions on any radio. In my opinion is too menu driven right now. Hopefully Yaesu will come up with a firmware update to address this.

I don't miss the two receivers the FT-1000MP has and the receiver is as good as the TS-590. The TX seems to be better then the TS-590 and equal to the FT-1000MP. Digital modes are fairly easy with this rig also. The split operation features are easy to use and typical Yaesu. The build quality seems to be very good also. It is a nice sized rig.

None of the improvement needed items listed here are a deal breaker for the rig. Overall I am very impressed with the 3K which is why a give it a five. I'll provide more information as I get used to the rig and work with it more.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Superb all round performer  Time owned: months
In my earlier review I said I would choose the KX3 over the FTDX-3000
Well really you can't compare them, the KX3 is more an excellent SSB/CW portable/mobile rig. They are different beasts.
The 3000 is a decent, nice sized base station rig,
With the recent firmware update, you now get an excellent full screen bandscope, I really like this.
The 3000 is rock stable on digital modes, (don't buy the KX3 if you want to use the digital modes, especially WSPR, it is just not stable enough).
Having used my 3000 for 6 months, I've got to say that
it is my favourite value for money/performance radio.
I have not yet fitted the optional 300Hz roofing filter but I'm sure it will help for close in digital and cw operation.
Rob G3RCE