Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 133 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2015 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great radio that does everything well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was somewhat frightened coming from a Yaesu FT-1000MP going to this radio as I tend to like knobs and switches a lot more than screens and menus. I was also looking at the Yaesu FT-991 but I told myself that I absolutely did not want a touch screen, this radio does not require you to ever touch the screen.

The receive on the radio is very good, just as good if not a touch better than on the FT-1000MP, my FT-1000MP also had all of the filters installed. One thing that is I noticed that is better on the older FT-1000MP is the auto notch. The auto notch on the FTDX-3000 does not fully notch offending signals 100%, I seem to always have to use the manual notch to accomplish this. Although the FFT screen on the FTDX-3000 makes notching out offending signals VERY easy and fun as you can visually see how your filters work. All of the other standard features such as Width/Shift work as expected and are very easy to use especially with the digital/visual display. The noise blanker works very well and cleans up just all of the noise I have encountered.

One of the main reasons I chose the FTDX-3000 was the built in sound-card. I absolutely hated having to run cables to Rigblasters, computers and microphones. With one USB cable I can run all of my digital mode and voice keyer software easily and efficiently, this is a big plus as it simplifies everything and clears up clutter in the shack. This also cleaned up some RFI I was experiencing when running a Rigblaster.

The scope is a nice feature as you visually see the signals and then tune to them, this makes chasing DX fun however i find that only the stronger signals show up on the scope.

Even though there is no second receiver in this radio running split operation is a breeze, the top RX/TX buttons are big enough to make switching back and forth really simple.

The DSP is described in one word, OUTSTANDING! On several occasions the DSP has made the difference in being able to hear weak contacts and not being to hear them at all, it is that good. Adjusting it on the fly is not as easy as say the FTDX-5000 but I'll forget about that based on the performance advantage it offers especially in weak signal work.

My only gripe with this radio is the "mode" button, switching between modes is a pain as you have to keep pressing or holding down the one button. But maybe I am being too picky here, this is a great radio that does everything really well, buy with confidence as you will not be disappointed.
AD9P Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent receiver.
Fit, and finish is very good.
Overall a very nice radio
KO2LA Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2015 06:30 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first hf rig so nothing to compare it to.
It does everything it's supposed to. Others say it has great receive-if this is great receive I want better than great. Xmits 100w.pretty easy to use except for all the menus; adjust the bandwidth, the freq response, hi cut,low cut ba-baba-ba ba. The letters are painted dark gray-hard to see in dim light.
The firmware updates are a pain. Since it's my first radio I can't compare it to other radios. Maybe it's great, maybe not. It works no issues,
K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2015 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a couple of years or so of ownership I still love this radio. Like VA3MLV below, I preferred the FTDX-3000 over the Icom 7600. Lots of extra features and I could not tell any major difference in performance at the candy store. Dollar for Dollar the 3000 blows the 7600 away. Actually I got consistently better signal and audio reports on the 3000. Am I in love with everything on the radio? No way, but I have not found any radio that hits that mark. Both are fine radios but my side by side comparison clearly sided with the FTDX-3000.
WA0BCM Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
New firmware update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
New firmware seems to install ok but seeing the following changes in behaviour. I have had this FTDX3000 for 10 days. Both waterfall settings need enabled to actually see the waterfall. On my box needs more contrast as waterfall area is almost entirely white, not enough contrast. Also my AF gain seems to effect the spectrum scope display. I now hwave to turn AF gain all the way up to hear audio and surprisingly this drops the noise level in the display as AF gain is turned up. I would think AF gain should not effect the noise floor. Maximum loudness is not as good as previous firmware version. I called Yaesu and they said they have had zero calls on the new firmware and that RF gain should be at max. On previous version I was running both RF and AF at 50 percent.
WB4YAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2015 12:58 Send this review to a friend
FB Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig replaced my FT 2000D. I loved that big old rig except for the receiver. It was noisy and even after putting in the AC0C roofing filter, I still didn't feel like the receiver performed as well as my IC-756 Pro 3. I looked into the FT 3000 but, to me, it looked PLUMB UGLY!
But the more I researched it, the more I found folks who loved the rig. I sold my FT 2000D and bought an FT 3000. WOW!!! What a difference in receivers, quiet and sensitive. And the rig looked very nice up close. I updated the firmware last week and now the DSP REALLY SHINES!!!! Is the rig perfect? NO!
But I am more than happy with my FT 3000 and I will keep enjoying it.
KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 16:36 Send this review to a friend
ditto  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
read ve3njg's review below - I do care about the scope and other frills - but the gentleman to my north hit it dead on - 53 years of hamming says this rig is different - and it's special - I graduated from my ft920 and ft950 both of which I kept and really love to use - but the 3000 is in a different realm - the receive audio is of a quality I've not heard - need for repetition........reports from other stations are stellar - barefoot into a ground plane antenna....I don't own an amp.

Larry KA2DDX
N4QNT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Latest Firmware 7-15-15...Good Stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
The latest firmware update is fantastic!! Adding menu-124 to enable a waterfall display to the spectrum scope and menu-185 to add the waterfall to the audio signal spectrum display for TX & RX.. It's like downloading a new radio.
VE3NJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2015 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Best buy out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been around the block with rigs a lot believe me. Not too much this ham has not owned or at least tried out for a month from friends. The receiver in the FTDX 3000 is a huge jump from anything they have ever made before. If you think you my want a new rig the advancement in this receiver is well worth the investment. Until this rig came out the differences for most users was not really worth an upgrade from anything made in the past 15 years. This rig is the game changer in receiver performance. I do not care about the scopes and auto tuners and other marketing frills and flashy gimmicks from any manufacturer. Listen up, I do not care about much else in a rig other than a great receiver, great audio on both TX and RX , and the important features we all use.. If you have a good resonant antenna for each band and mode you actually use , this is one purchase you can justify. This rig is the example of a whole new generation of radios that blow away anything from the past. It has a killer receiver with filtering that performs so well without creating any bad side affects like many did in the past. The menu allows you to custom taylor everything for your own preferences much better than the others. By far it is the most flexible new radio out there hands down. If you cannot make it do all you ever wanted in a receiver the fault does not lie in the radio design. The TX has a lot of balls too. Yaesu caught the competition completely off guard with this rig. Ignore any reviews that nit pick the cosmetics or layout nonsense. This radio is for the real deal amateurs that want a fantastic quiet receiver with the latest in design technology at a fair price point value. Yes it is that good.
KG1K Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A little more than 6 months since I started using this transceiver frequency, mostly CW and some SSB. It's selectivity is excellent, and excellent to isolate wanted signals even if it is very weak. Complains? I have to turn the knob many turns to change the output power, and I prefer more friction on VFO-B/Clarifier dial. Other than these, definitely this is one of the best I ever owned.

When I read past reviews, it reminded me my situation. Am using ladder wire feed line all the way into the shack, and connected to FTDX300 via BT1500A antenna tuner. I only run 100W but experienced the loss of function of the transceiver completely, and power off-on was the only way to get it back. There must be very high RF potentials around the transceiver. I inserted 2-3 PFI cores on FTDX3000 in/out cables, changed the grounding points, and now I don't have the problem any more. I have been a ham for more than 50 years, and RFI (to the transceiver or transmitter) has been a quite common problem especially when I used wire antennas. I cannot comment if this transceiver is good or bad from this problem because I don't know how other transceivers are immune to RFI. I certainly move my antenna tuner away from FTDX3000 and use coax cable into the shack when I run KW in the future.