Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 133 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

AF5WI Rating: 1/5 Jun 3, 2015 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Be Warned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 2 months of operation my 3000 smoked. It had a dead receiver and no transmitter. To make a long story short, after 7 weeks I received it back from Yaesu Service, after they replaced 3 chip caps and an IC on the main board near the CW key jack. I had to ask several times what they thought had caused these parts to fail, so I could know if I needed to change my ways or perhaps discover a reliability issue. They finally said it 'might' have been caused by RF. I didn't have a choke or toroid on the CW straight key cable. If you don't either, please learn from me and while your at it, put chokes on EVERY cable that even comes near the FTDX 3000!

K7DF Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I upgraded from a FT-920 to the FTDX3000 and it is everything one could want and then some.

The receiver is excellent during contests, you can really get rid of that strong signal right next to the signal you really want to hear.
It has been able to receive signals my 920 could not hear.

One thing I did not know is that it has a built in soundcard interface for digital modes. A ham told me about it during a PSK31 QSO. I was able to connect the radio directly to my computer at a much faster baud rate.

I did upgrade the firmware so that I can now use the carrier knob for power control.

I fully recommend this radio.

EI5JS Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2015 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Top notch performance but..  Time owned: more than 12 months
The performance of this rig is well documented. In short, RX and TX performance is up there with the very best. Receive audio is breathtaking. The user has full control to tailor the RX audio. The TX audio can be tailored to suit your mic and voice using the built in parametric equaliser and selectable TX BPF bandwidths.

The display is well designed and the menu system is well thought out and quite intuitive.

To buy this transceiver and complain about the bandscope is like buying a house and then complaining about the size of the windows. Its not a P3 or IC-7600 quality scope but Its not trying to be. Accept it for what it is and use it with the auto (freeze) function and you'll find its actually quite useful. I'd certainly miss it if I didn't have it now.

The auto ATU is fine. It's relatively fast and quiet. It will match anything up to 3:1 SWR and lets face it, if your antenna/feeder is showing worse than 3:1 SWR you should probably be trying to sort your antenna rather than blaming the rig.

The bells and whistles are WAY too many to mention. The rig has everything you'll ever need in a HF transceiver.

All the above should get the rig a 5 rating, easily, the performance is that good, but...

Firmware updating is painful, and that's if you can do it at all. If you own a Mac you're out of luck. If you run Linux you're out of luck. If you run Windows XP you MAY be in luck, no guarantees. In fact Yaesu list Windows 7, 8 and Vista as the required OS and only mention XP wrt the japanese market. No, I don't get that either. You need to have Microsoft.net framework 3.5 installed. You also need to download the USB virtual com port driver. Then you need to download the transfer software called fsw018. Try finding that with the DX3000 files on Yaesu.com.. It's not there. If somehow you've managed to clear the above hurdles, you then need to download and update the Main, TFT, FFT and DSP firmware seperately!! Its a shambles... We deserve better than that.

Here's an idea. How about a single file that you download onto your Mac,Linux box or Windows PC. You drag it onto a USB memory stick. Plug it into your rig, press the 'update' button and job done. How hard can that be??

Sure, the text on the front panel buttons is small (2mm) I just wear my reading glasses to operate, no big deal. And why did they colour the text grey on a black button? Wouldn't white be far easier to read?

There are other small grumbles. The notch control moves in 10hz clicks. You have to wind the bejaysus out of it to get it to move anywhere. The VFO B tuning knob is horrible. It feels cheap and plasticy. There is a lack of backlit buttons. You need to operate in a very bright room just to see what you are doing.

But you know, even with the issues, the rig still represents an excellent investment and I intend keeping mine for a very long time.

KI0GU Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2015 13:02 Send this review to a friend
No buyers remorse!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a casual contester and DX'er. I have used this radio on CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK31, SSTV and JT65. This is by far my favorite radio! Below is a list of my pros/cons. Compared to my last radio, the 950, the roofing filters really work! I love being able to use this during crowded or contest conditions. The bandscope was a nice addition to have, but this is NOT the reason I purchased this radio. I like to seperate the bandscope from the radio, having the external IF makes this very nice! I am of the opinion that having an external monitor for this is much more useful than building it into the radio display.

Previous HF Radios since 1994:

Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-100D
Icom IC-7000
Yaesu FT-950

Pros:
* Very Quiet receiver
* USB Interface for Rig Control and built in soundcard
* Familiar Yaesu interface and controls
* 3 Ant inputs
* External IF out for panadapter/bandscope

Cons:
* Slow tuner (I didn't purchase the radio for this however)
* Windows required for USB
* Band button in an awkward place
* TX using internal RTTY/PSK31 awkward - needs ability to attach external keyboard to USB port on radio Yaesu.
* Needs support for Mac/Linux

Summary:
* Of all previous radios I have owned, this one has the quietest receiver period.
* During crowded/contest conditions, pulling out weak stations is not a problem.
* roofing filters work as advertised/expected and the DSP is really nice!
* Out of the box with a Kenwood MC-88 Mic, signal reports on TX were really good. People comment often on how nice my TX audio sounds.
* SWL reception is superb!

Test Drive my radio:
If you wish to hear/operate this radio online, it is available for RX and TX FREE through remotehams. (after qualified license check for TX). Simply visit my QRZ page (http://www.qrz.com/db/ki0gu). The USB interface on this rig made interfacing this radio to remotehams a breeze!

G0GDA Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Still Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Following my first review on the 12th Nov 2012 (see page 11) I still have the same admiration for the rig. I have given it extensive use over the 2 1/2 years I have had it and with several software updates it has only become better. The receive side is still brilliant and since a Yaesu update last year put the ssb power adjustment on the processor knob, instead of in the menu, life has become much easier. I am an ssb man as cw is not my forte ( sigh of relief from the key men) The output audio has always been good with the necessesary menu adjustments but following a conversation with Harold N4QT who's audio from his 3k blew me away I was prompted to also purchase a Heil PR-781 mic. This seems a perfect match for the radio and using the 5000 menu settings off the Heil website I receive even better glowing reports than I did before. The general menu settings when initially sorted rarely need changing. I find the contour and the width knobs very useful and the DVS board is a god send when doing competition work. When I bought the radio in 2012 it was just under 2400 gbp and now it can be purchased around 1900 gbp which is a positive steal.
The rig deserves the DX name and is a definate keeper - I run it through a home made Windom dipole and get all over the world. Don't hesitate - there is no present like the time - just get one.
Happy Days
Nigel
G0GDA
Kent U.K.

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Everything I hoped it would be!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the rig for about two weeks, but have had a lot of time to use it and unless it blows up some day I can't see my opinion changing much.

I have only changed a few of the default settings so far. I changed to contour level to a +10 which helps peak the cw tone, which I also upped in frequency a bit to better match my hearing. The DNR is just superb, if need be I can crank the DNR level up to the max without any of the bubbly, underwater sound that many rigs exhibit. The Yaesu DSP implementation is fantastic. I can make my nightly 160 meter net sound like 2 meter FM.

The only change I made to the transmit audio was to flip the little switch on the back of the microphone from "1" to "2". The people I talk to every day say I sound just as good as I did on my old 530SP and FT101E. Quite a compliment.

The MODE switch could be in a better location and the CLARIFIER/VFO-B knob is a little touchy but otherwise it is a dream to operate.

The ability to knock out adjacent QRM is great on SSB and CW, even with just the stock 600 Hz roofing filter.

Plus, it looks real pretty sitting there. The analog style meter is a nice touch for me, too. The other rigs I tried out just did not have the quality feel and sound that this rig does.

There is a lot to like about this rig. I am very happy with my choice.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with the FTDX-3000 after 6 months of ownership  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The FTDX-3000 replaced My Yaesu FT-920 which I have owned from New and still have. I bought the FTDX-3000 as I was having problems hearing weak stations with My FT-920 [which I bought New and will keep as a spare.]and YES I can hear virtually all the very weak stations I couldn't hear before. So I am Happy with My purchase. Someone mentioned the problem of switching from USB to LSB,etc,as when You go to 40 meters, the default is LSB, and the mode button doesn't have SSB USB as an option only CW USB so, I found by going to 15 meters which is USB by default then changing the actual frequency using the buttons on the front and the enter key the USB stays the same. I presume You could do a similar thing with the remote keypad which is supplied with this Radio, but I haven't gotten around to using the FH-2 keypad or the Digital Voice Recorder as yet, and I haven't changed any transmit audio from the default either. Also mentioned is the ATU which most owners find very slow [Myself included].The ATU in the FT-920, seemed to be faster, plus it kept tuning as You moved frequency [if the SWR was higher] a real Automatic Tuning Unit.. Hi Hi I also miss the spring loaded shuttle jog of the 920 which lets You vary the frequency very fast by turning the large knob behind the VFO knob [tuning speed varies as You turn] I can change the speed of the VFO in this radio but fast is too fast and slow is too slow etc..I do use the IPO [preamp] button all the time, it has 3 settings so I very rarely use the RF gain now. I just love the Mic gain and Speech Processor in this Radio. They can be turned to 100% and still NOT be distorted, although I don't use them that High as I use headphones and use the Monitor feature which can result in Mind blowing Sound.. hi hi.. Maybe in another 6 months I will be able to describe How I use some of the other features of the FTDX-3000 that I haven't used or needed to know in the first 6 months.. Hi hi ..
LEE VK2LEE

KF7CG Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Upgrade from FT-950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the radio about 2 weeks now and didn't get to use it for a week.

Receiver improvement is why I switched to the FTdx-3000D, and receiver improvement is what I got.

The receiver is quieter and more selective than the 950.

Since I am a long time Yaesu user, there wasn't too much of a learning curve to the new rig. Antenna tuner seems to have the same range as the 950.

Second contact with the 3000D was with the Congo. Love the digital readout for both VFOs.

KF7CG

K8IKW Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 13:31 Send this review to a friend
top notch radio and ease of operation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While several writers have commented on knob size es placement,my own rating basis looks to everyday use es effective communication tools.This radio is super quiet on noise level and IPO and roof filters,when used in connection with DNR and DNF controls give the operator a varied menu of interference tools.I am a casual Dxer and find this radio easy to set up in menus.One setting of most functions in menu is sufficient and infrequently revised in usual operations.Yes ,I do have to use my eeglasses sometimes to see control labels.A backlight on some major knob control would be desired but is not a deal breaker in my view.I find the ATU very smooth es fast enough to my senses.Hear no relays banging unless I put ear almost on radio top cover.Well worth the moderate price range of the radio and comparable to radios far more expensive with nearly similar features.Unit was obtained to complement FT 1000MP and is paired with Ameritron AL 80B amp which easily works well with this exciter.No major negative faults seen.

W5NM Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2015 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Superb Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! I think Yaesu really stepped up to the plate with the FTDX3000. The receiver is excellent and as good or better than my Kenwood TS-590 which I love. After using the radio for over a month now, and almost every day, I find so many little things that Yaesu has done well that were ignored in many other radios. A very fine radio for the money indeed. My only gripes are the scope, which I find inferior and the ridiculous antenna tuner. The Kenwood TS-590 antenna tuner is ten times faster and quieter and will tune almost anything I throw at it. Plus the memories help save a lot of time and relay wear and tear. Also I do NOT like the placement of the Mode button. I also do not like the clarifier button/ VFO B knob always moving the display every time I get near it. I know the clarifier/VFO B may or not be turned on but I hate that. I know I have kind of gone negative here, but this really is a spectacular radio and worthy of a 5. Hats off to Yaesu whom I had left behind for Kenwood radios, for producing a fine rig that I will enjoy for years to come.