Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
VERY IMPRESSED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my FTdx3000 for a week now and I'm very impressed. Upgraded from an FT-950, which I liked very much. Operation is similar to the FT-950 and all the station connections, with the exception of the CAT connection, were the same. Performance on receive is superior to the FT-950, particularly the DSP. The DNR on the FT-950 was flakey (especially on CW), but it works perfectly on this radio. On 75 meters this evening, the DNR made it so quiet, it was like listening to the local FM repeater.

The all-button and knob format of the FT-950 was a little more direct to use, but I do like the ergonomics of the button, knob, and arrow keys/memu of this radio. I love the analog-style meter. There is even a clock!

The best thing about this radio is the large color screen. With radio being about hearing, I spend a lot of time staring at the radio and fiddling with the controls. The color display provides me with plenty of sensory input and useful information. The band scope works great and is fun to watch, but I never use it when searching the band. The audio display is interesting and there is a great undocumented feature where it works to show transmit audio as well as receive.

I do a lot of digital modes and have got the built-in USB soundcard and CAT to work fine with FLDigi, RMS Express (WINMOR), and HF APRS Packet. I've not been able to get the FSK/PTT port to work yet, all my software says it can't open that port, so I have to run VOX in the data mode to transmit. May have to call Yaesu or maybe the USB/Serial driver vendor on that one as I really want to run FSK RTTY.

There are 196 menu options with this radio, so there is plenty to play with. A complex radio, with many customizable features is exactly what I want in a radio.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
A Winner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is written by a radio junky. I love ham gear and this rig is on the top of my keeper list. Yes it has an extensive menu with about 85% of the adjustments the average user will never touch. This rig is big, solid, and very well built unlike its american counter parts. It reminds of the build quality of rigs from the past. The screen is beautiful as well as functional. The full screen spectrum monitor is a great feature. If you own an earlier version of this rig I recommend taking the time to do the firmware/TFT upgrade as it is worth the effort. Yaesu will most likely be releasing additional firmware upgrades to improve this radio even more. The DSP/DNR has no rumble and is vastly improved over any other rig I have ever owned including the K3 and TenTec Eagle just to name a couple. I love listening to the AM broadcast band as it really sounds like a high end receiver with no compromise in sensitivity or selectivity. The quiet cw QSK is also awesome if you are a cw op. For features and quality this radio is a bargain at its present pricing.

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My 3000 puts out 100 watts into a 50 ohm load on all ham bands. I have no problems with power output like some have said. I suggest they get a good dummy load and use a cw key to test their output power.

As far as people not liking the menus, I suggest you learn to use the radio properly. On each band you have 3 different possible settings. Example: Set the first push of the band button to CW and the filter you want. Second push of the band button set it to SSB or whatever and set the filter you want, etc.

Once the menus have been set you should not have to reset them. The only thing that I change is the power output setting that I have on the C.S. button. One push of the C.S. button and you set the power out. What is the problem with this?

It's my opinion that people that do not like the 3000 are the ones that have not learned to use it properly.

I like my 3000 better than any ham rig I have ever had in over 37 years of having a FCC license.

N4TB Rating: 3/5 Jul 30, 2013 02:48 Send this review to a friend
OK but not operator friendly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The performance of the radio is excellent. The receiver is as good or better than my FT-1000 MP Mark V. The only problem is on six meters where my radio only put out 65 watts - into a 50 ohm dummy load.

With 196 adjustable menu options you can tweak the performance to your own satisfaction. The problem is finding the right menu setting.

The biggest disappointment was having to scroll through numerous setting to get to the one you want. To go from CW to USB you have to scroll through RTTY/LSB, DATA/LSB and AM just to get to USB. To go from the 600 hz CW filter to the 300 CSP CW filter you must scroll through 3khz,6 khz, 15 khz and 3 khz just to get to the 300hz position.

If you don't mind spending a lot of time pushing buttons rather than making QSO's it is a great radio.

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2013 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for about two months now. I had an FT-1000MP MK V and a TS-590 to perform all the bands and modes that I want to work. I bought the 3K to have an all in one radio that would perform all the tasks of the two radios, and also interface with my Quadra amp. The FTdx-3000D accomplishes what I want very well. The receiver is very quite and the TX audio is good so far. I've installed the latest firmware upgrades and enjoy the increased functionality.

The one thing I don't like is that Yaesu doesn't provide any software to save your menu settings, and this rig has a ton of them. When you perform a firmware update the rig goes back to factory default settings. The TS-590 has some great free software that allows good control of the rig and easy methods of setting and/or restoring menu settings. The 3K has all the same capability of the TS-590, but Yaesu hasn't caught up in the software department. I hope Yaesu continues to pay attention to this rig and the new FTdx-1200 and the comments posted here and provides some control/memory software for these rigs. I guess I could purchase some RT software to save the menu settings, but I'm not sure if all of them will be addressed.

The RF OUT or 9MHz IF OUT can be used with various SDR radios and software to provide a more detailed band scope if you really need one. The built in band scope serves its purpose, but lacks resolution, details and functionality right now. The RF power control features on this rig need some improvement as this is one of the most frequently used functions on any radio. In my opinion is too menu driven right now. Hopefully Yaesu will come up with a firmware update to address this.

I don't miss the two receivers the FT-1000MP has and the receiver is as good as the TS-590. The TX seems to be better then the TS-590 and equal to the FT-1000MP. Digital modes are fairly easy with this rig also. The split operation features are easy to use and typical Yaesu. The build quality seems to be very good also. It is a nice sized rig.

None of the improvement needed items listed here are a deal breaker for the rig. Overall I am very impressed with the 3K which is why a give it a five. I'll provide more information as I get used to the rig and work with it more.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Superb all round performer  Time owned: months
In my earlier review I said I would choose the KX3 over the FTDX-3000
Well really you can't compare them, the KX3 is more an excellent SSB/CW portable/mobile rig. They are different beasts.
The 3000 is a decent, nice sized base station rig,
With the recent firmware update, you now get an excellent full screen bandscope, I really like this.
The 3000 is rock stable on digital modes, (don't buy the KX3 if you want to use the digital modes, especially WSPR, it is just not stable enough).
Having used my 3000 for 6 months, I've got to say that
it is my favourite value for money/performance radio.
I have not yet fitted the optional 300Hz roofing filter but I'm sure it will help for close in digital and cw operation.
Rob G3RCE

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2013 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rig has been in my shack for just over 3 months now. My prior rig was a Kenwood TS-590 which I never fully liked. I was really looking for a better performer on the Voice/SSB side and I beleive I found it in the form of the FTdx-3000! The radio has been fantastic on all modes. I'm amazed how great the receiver sounds. Unlike the TS-590, I can listen to the 3000 all day long. It also performs much better on the transmit side. I get great audio reports and have no problem getting through the pileups. It's just a pleasure to have in the shack. The displays are all great looking and for me easy to see. The menus are easy to navigate and tailor to just about any liking.

I've added the DVS-6 Voice Memory Unit which is very easy to use. I've also added the 300 Hz CW Narrow Filter and MD-100 Desk Mic. I'm very happy with performance.

I have the rig directly connected to my computer via the USB Port and run Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6. I run JT-65, PSK, RTTY and CW all without any issues. I have tailored the rig control buttons to my liking and can control just about any button/menu funtion from my computer. It's very easy to setup and use.

The RX ANT port output and 9 MHZ IF-out is also used in conjuntion with my QS1R SDR Receiver and RF Pixel Broadband Loop.

Yaesu has released two firmware updates since I've owned the rig and they were very easy to incorperate using just the USB cable. The latest update includes a full screen band scope display.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just upgraded to the Yaesu FTDX-3000. I have owned a FT-2000 and Flex-5000 in the past, and was nervous about buying another Yaesu rig after owning a Flex Radio.

If I had to choose, between the Flex-5000 and the Yaesu FTDX-3000, I would choose the Yaesu. I miss having a second receiver in the FT-2000, but not necessarily needed. With a LP-Pan adapter you can use PowerSDR just like the Flex Radio.

The FTDX3000 is what the FT-2000 was meant to be. I enjoyed the FT-2000, but the receiver was average at best. The new FTDX-3000 is a great value and offers a lot of features.

I am happy with this radio and would buy it again.

K0DXV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful, Modern Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my FTdx-3000 a few days ago. Once I got it hooked up I began going through its various settings. Most importantly, I listened to the receiver on various bands in various conditions.

I had heard that the FTdx-5000 was quite a great rig. But its was outside my budget. When I first started seeing the FTdx-3000 and saw that it priced at less than half of the 5000 I became very interested. I checked the test values at Sherwood Engineering and found that the receiver was very top notch.

This was borne out by careful listening. The receiver has a very pleasant, smooth sound with easy access to bandwidth and offset. I have owned Yaesu rigs back to the vacuum tube era. And I've always found them to have excellent-sounding receivers. The FTdx-3000 is one of the best sounding radios I've ever owned.

The transceiver's layout is excellent and very attractive. The TFT display gives the radio a very modern way of showing status. The spectrum display falls short of similar Icom displays. But is still quite useful. An I.F. output on the back provides the ability to work with a variety of other spectrum display devices including the Elecraft P3 which will work plug-n-play with the proper cable.

Overall, the FTdx-3000 is a superb value with a rich set of features and an outstanding receiver. While the menu system can be daunting in complexity, the most important controls are easy to access with status clearly displayed on the well-designed color TFT display. The large, heavy main tuning knob is silky smooth and a total delight to use.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 13:32 Send this review to a friend
A Personal Touch Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've have this rig for about two months. Very versitile transmitter and receiver. As in you can make either sound as you wish. Many adjustments in the menu to customize. Took me a while to get it the way I really liked it. I like the bandscope but not for really weak signals. Transmitter is nice to have 100 pep on SSB. My Kenwoods struggle here...Receive is easy to listen to. I can't find anything wrong at this point. Nice solid built rig...