Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2013 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rig has been in my shack for just over 3 months now. My prior rig was a Kenwood TS-590 which I never fully liked. I was really looking for a better performer on the Voice/SSB side and I beleive I found it in the form of the FTdx-3000! The radio has been fantastic on all modes. I'm amazed how great the receiver sounds. Unlike the TS-590, I can listen to the 3000 all day long. It also performs much better on the transmit side. I get great audio reports and have no problem getting through the pileups. It's just a pleasure to have in the shack. The displays are all great looking and for me easy to see. The menus are easy to navigate and tailor to just about any liking.

I've added the DVS-6 Voice Memory Unit which is very easy to use. I've also added the 300 Hz CW Narrow Filter and MD-100 Desk Mic. I'm very happy with performance.

I have the rig directly connected to my computer via the USB Port and run Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6. I run JT-65, PSK, RTTY and CW all without any issues. I have tailored the rig control buttons to my liking and can control just about any button/menu funtion from my computer. It's very easy to setup and use.

The RX ANT port output and 9 MHZ IF-out is also used in conjuntion with my QS1R SDR Receiver and RF Pixel Broadband Loop.

Yaesu has released two firmware updates since I've owned the rig and they were very easy to incorperate using just the USB cable. The latest update includes a full screen band scope display.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just upgraded to the Yaesu FTDX-3000. I have owned a FT-2000 and Flex-5000 in the past, and was nervous about buying another Yaesu rig after owning a Flex Radio.

If I had to choose, between the Flex-5000 and the Yaesu FTDX-3000, I would choose the Yaesu. I miss having a second receiver in the FT-2000, but not necessarily needed. With a LP-Pan adapter you can use PowerSDR just like the Flex Radio.

The FTDX3000 is what the FT-2000 was meant to be. I enjoyed the FT-2000, but the receiver was average at best. The new FTDX-3000 is a great value and offers a lot of features.

I am happy with this radio and would buy it again.

K0DXV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful, Modern Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my FTdx-3000 a few days ago. Once I got it hooked up I began going through its various settings. Most importantly, I listened to the receiver on various bands in various conditions.

I had heard that the FTdx-5000 was quite a great rig. But its was outside my budget. When I first started seeing the FTdx-3000 and saw that it priced at less than half of the 5000 I became very interested. I checked the test values at Sherwood Engineering and found that the receiver was very top notch.

This was borne out by careful listening. The receiver has a very pleasant, smooth sound with easy access to bandwidth and offset. I have owned Yaesu rigs back to the vacuum tube era. And I've always found them to have excellent-sounding receivers. The FTdx-3000 is one of the best sounding radios I've ever owned.

The transceiver's layout is excellent and very attractive. The TFT display gives the radio a very modern way of showing status. The spectrum display falls short of similar Icom displays. But is still quite useful. An I.F. output on the back provides the ability to work with a variety of other spectrum display devices including the Elecraft P3 which will work plug-n-play with the proper cable.

Overall, the FTdx-3000 is a superb value with a rich set of features and an outstanding receiver. While the menu system can be daunting in complexity, the most important controls are easy to access with status clearly displayed on the well-designed color TFT display. The large, heavy main tuning knob is silky smooth and a total delight to use.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 13:32 Send this review to a friend
A Personal Touch Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've have this rig for about two months. Very versitile transmitter and receiver. As in you can make either sound as you wish. Many adjustments in the menu to customize. Took me a while to get it the way I really liked it. I like the bandscope but not for really weak signals. Transmitter is nice to have 100 pep on SSB. My Kenwoods struggle here...Receive is easy to listen to. I can't find anything wrong at this point. Nice solid built rig...

VE2AF Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Très bon "transceiver"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Je possède ce ftdx3000 depuis environ 2 mois et je suis très satisfait.La sensibilité et la sélectivité sont bonnes, les filtres sont efficaces particulièrement le "notch".Seul petit point négatif;des boutons métalliques auraient apporté une touche de luxe très appréciée.J'aime bien le "band scope",malgré sa petite taille,il est fonctionnel.L'audio est très bonne également.

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Yaesu Yet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this new Yaesu FTDX-3000 for about 2 months now and I can say that I have never had a ham radio that I have liked better!

There are way to many great features to mention here but if you want to share your info about this great Yaesu rig I started a Yahoo group for the radio. Please join and lets share info.

W7DO Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio and opted for the 300 Hz roofing filter. What is very cool, is to get an RF-Space IQ SDR receiver and use the HDSDR software which is free-ware and set it up at the 9 MHz IF output port.
Now you have a very big band scope with point and click features that make CW operating behave like PSK water fall tuning. As of late I'm using an Icom 7600 as SO2RX, with the FT-3000 being the master, very cool setup. But have to save up money for more microHAM gadgets to make a dream configuration.

W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2013 03:45 Send this review to a friend
pretty radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I gave it a "0" before due to the display problem, but HRO replaced the radio and now the replacement is doing ok. It has some nice features that most will enjoy, but I still keep going back to my Jupiter for everyday listening. Why? I don’t really know. Maybe it’s the comfort I have just knowing Tentec is there for close service? Or maybe it’s the large easy to use knobs on the Jupiter. I have the FT-1000MP Mark V and an FT-450D also, all good radios. All in all the FT-DX3000 is fine as long as the displays hold up to the test of time. My first one didn’t. It lasted 2 weeks. I’ll post more details about the electronics of the radio in a later post after I have owned it longer. Thanks for reading

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the chance to spend a lot of time with this radio. Yaesu has a winner with the FTdx3000.

The radio has many menus but this is the beauty of it. The user can totally set the radio up exactly the way they want it.

The layout has been thought through so when an operator is using the radio the controls are easy to find and adjust with no problems. If you have owned Yaesu radios in the past this radio is quite simple to use without having to dig in the manual constantly.

The TFT display is bright and colorful and has nice representations of Contour, Width, Notch, and Shift, so as you adjust each of these features you can watch it on the display. For me this is a real plus, to SEE what the radio is doing.

Some people say the bandscope is small. I think it is sized perfectly for the radio. And it works the way it should. You can quickly find a clear frequency to call CQ or find a pileup and see what all the fuss is about.

This radio sports a nice big fat VFO knob, just the way I like them. Nice smooth tuning and at the size a VFO knob should be.

This radio uses down conversion and is the quietest receiver that I have ever used. And the DNR actually works. Very well.

Receive audio is superb through my SP-2000. I enjoy shortwave listening and MW dx'ing. It is a treat with this setup.

This radio comes stock with the FS-2 remote. This lets you record the last few seconds of receive audio any time you like.

The cw, psk31, rtty decode is a feature that I personally will not use much because I have computer programs I use instead. But for the person that doesn't have a shack computer or if an op just wants to SEE what is being communicated back and forth, there it is right on the screen.

In conclusion this radio is just packed with features. The down conversion receiver is amazing and sounds fantastic. The TFT display with all of your information right there in front of you at a glance makes operating easy and fun.
This radio is a gem and as more ops add it to their shack I think it will be a classic. Good job Yaesu and thank you!

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a FT-2000 for this radio. I am absolutely DELIGHTED with it. It has the best receiver I have ever owned. The roofing filters work well and the digital noise reduction is effective. I use the IF out with my SDR-IQ for a pan-adaptor. There is a learning curve with this radio -- there are a LOT of menu selections that will require the user to read the manual.