Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

K9OM Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2013 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm sharing my perspective about the FTdx3000 in case someone is reading these reviews to determine if the FTdx3000 is the radio for them. It's clear from previous reviews about the FTdx3000 that some people love the radio and others do not. It's wonderful that we have alot of great choices today when choosing a radio that will meet our needs. Personally, I'd like to see Yaesu pattern a new radio more closely to a FT-1000-MP. (very similar radio but with down conversion and narrow roofing filters for better selectivity, and with the improved NR the 3000 features)

POSITIVES: solid cast aluminum construction, attractive looking, USB rig control, both Analog or Bar S-meter, outstanding NR, good variety of roofing filters are included, user friendly Menu system, 3 step ATT and 3-step amplifier, larger than normal RIT control.

One of the reasons I purchased the FTdx3000 was because I read a Yaesu advertisement that said this radio follows in the heritage of the FT-1000-MP which was my all-time favorite radio. Been a ham for 50 years and have owned dozens of great radios but the FT-1000-MP's stayed in my shack alot longer than any other radio.

I wish Yaesu hadn't referenced the FTdx-3000 to a 1000-MP as the 3000 is a much cheaper built radio.

NEGATIVES: the FTdx-3000 is smaller than the FT-1000-MP, does not have a built-in power supply, has very few front panel controls, has a whimpy Main Tuning dial that doesn't spin freely, and has no Shuttle Jog. Some other features about the FTdx3000 that I don't like are: front panel labeling is pale and very hard to read, Main Tuning resolution is too fast and can only be adjusted down to 1hz per revolution which makes tuning in weak stations difficult, audio "pop" on Bose headphones when volume control hits the 0900 position, USB connection easily interupted by RF, the Manual is not very detailed and doesn't have an Index, updating software could be streamlined,
antenna tuner is only good up to about a 3 to 1 SWR, there's no SSB power control on the front panel, static "pops" are worse on the FTdx3000 than on some modern day down conversion radios.

Hopefully, Yaesu will adress some of these issues in future software updates. Such as, provide a main tuning setting of 0.1 or 0.3hz per resolution, make the radio less prone to static pop desensing the receiver, make software updates quicker to install, and stop the 0900 position audio pop.

But other features like the dull and hard to read front panel labeling, not having a built-in power supply, and having a heavy free wheeling main tuning dial... may require a new Model... how about a FTdx-1000MP.

73- hope you find a radio you love and I hope to work you on the bands!

WA4PT Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
What a rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to wait a few months before I wrote the review. I've had the radio for 7 months. I am more excited today than I was the day I bought it. Reason? The learning curve is working. On day one I opened the box, read some of the stuff in the book then hooked it up and got busy. Got DXCC last month and started with no confirmed DX contacts before the purchase.

The radio has a receiver that is exceptional and that is what this radio is all about...the receiver. Audio output wise, I get nice comments but then truthfully, when was the last time you heard a bad sounding new rig in todays standards?

Today I downloaded and installed the Yaesu update for the rig. This was the 3rd update since Ive owned it. I'm liking the idea that "they" are keeping this baby right.

Borrow one, buy one, or just watch someone use it. It is a great radio, especially with earphones on...you can hear your voice output then customize it. Prices are dropping too for the holidays. Hope this helps. 73

KF7DS Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2013 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been back into radio for 3 years after a long time away, and have gone through quite a few good xcvrs since returning to the hobby, until settling on the FTdX 3000. My focus is on CW and digital modes, so I cannot speak to the SSB capabilities of the radio.

Being a bit confused about the state of the technology when I returned to the hobby, I blindly purchased an IC 7600, mostly attracted by the bandscope and the Icom reputation. That lasted about 6 months as I perceived the RX to be mediocre at best and the rig a pain to operate (those small knobs beneath the bandscope did not dance well with with my large fingers).

I sold the 7600 for a TS-590s, which confirmed that the RX on the IC 7600 is mediocre – the jump in RX sensitivity between the two excited me so much I thought, hey the K3 must be “that much better”. So, I sold the 590s after 6 mos and purchased a K3. Both radios have great receivers, with a nod to the K3 in both sensitivity and selectivity, and the CW center function/spot meter on the K3 was much better than the equivalent function on the 590. 590 definitely gets the nod on NR though.

But, there was one thing I could not get used to with the K3, and that was the harsh audio (some people have no problem with the K3 audio, and some do – I did). So, after close to two years of use, I sold the K3 and replaced it with the 3000. And, I am glad I did. The 3000 is just quieter and the noise floor is lower. I think the NR on the 3000 is just as good as the K3, and close to the 590 (the NR on the 590 is fabulous). And, the Audio Peak Filter on the 3000 is excellent – best I have used. And, one can narrow down the filter width to 50hz with no ringing…impressive….the 590 could not come close.

The bandscope, though limited, is useful with regard to seeing if there is activity on the band, but that is about it. Bandscopes/pan adapters are sexy, but I have learned that one focuses too much on the screen and not enough between the ears – that is, if you listen, you will hear faint ones that are strong enough for a qso that do not appear in the pan adapter. Once I learned that, I ditched using a pan adapter when I owned and used the K3. So, the limited functionality of the bandscope on the 3000 is not an issue.

The aspect of the bandscope that IS a home run is the FFT view….that, combined with the CW spot meter allows one to be dead on when zero beating a signal…..and, that is incredibly important in crowded contest conditions or chasing weak simplex dx….can’t say enough how useful the combination of these two functions is.

So, overall, keeping the 3000 as it excels as things I like to do (CW and digital), very good performance, and is easy to use.

N1TCH Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2013 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me say that my new FTdx3K is to my IC-746 as the 746 was to my TS-520. It continues to make me glad that I bought it every time that I use it. There are many features that I'll probably never use, but there are many that I already have. Like, the 60M preconfigured memories. I bought the DX Engineering add-on for my 4-BTV and after installing it I promptly made my first contact on that band. I do like the scope, even though I do see many less than enthusiastic comments about it. Perhaps it's because it's so much better than the 746 "scope" that I'm totally taken by it. Was it worth the cost of admission? No doubt about it. One of the reasons that I bought it was that it came equipped with many features that I would have had to add on to all of the other rigs, IC-7410 & FTdx1200, that I looked at.

KB6HRT Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Good I guess!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought the Yaesu FT3000D from HRO, had it one day, no problems with how the radio worked, but took it back an payed the restocking fee. Why because have a Yaesu FT5000D, FT857D an a FT950. they have very quite receivers in my antenna systems, my personal preference.
The receiver on the FT3000D is very HOT, it bring in lots of noise on my antenna systems, In my case not a good thing, but if your one that has a loop antenna system this radio may work just fine for you. For me it would have been one step forward but two steeps back!

XW1B Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2013 23:12 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was "volunteered" to burn-in a new FTdx-3000D for my boss. I hooked it into my Quad and worked the world with 100w.
The most noticeable thing to me was the down conversion Rx. Different "sounding" but very quiet. All the bells and whistles are in this box and I'd say the learning curve is much less than on my FT-2000. Good size, nice layout, not cluttered.
A fine radio with, IMO, a great receiver. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Bruce XW4XR - 3W3B

W8JMM Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2013 18:40 Send this review to a friend
A lot of bang for the buck.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Lots of transceiver for the price.
I have owned a few Yeasu radios Ftdx 9000d, Ftdx 5000d FT-2000d. The Ftdx 3000d for it'modest price has many of the attributes of the radios mentioned above. If you love knobs this may not be the radio for you however if you read and understand the manual the radio is a dream to operate. The receiver, in my opinion is as good as the Ftdx 9000d . Only thing I added was an external speaker. If you feel you need lot's of knobs and features you don't understand and will never use, buy a 9000 or a 7800.

KW4CQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2013 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Performs as well as my FTDX-5000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I've had my FTDX-3000 for just a few weeks now I was eager to compare its performance with my FTDX-5000, which I used for nearly three years. I am primarily a CW DXer and chasing the "rare ones" and DXpeditions has become my current passion, so to speak. Unless you are considering the lab test data on Sherwood's fine web site and comparing the numbers, I don't believe you will actually notice much difference at all between the on-air performance of these two fine radios, especially their receivers. The 2 KHz Narrow Spaced 3rd Order Dynamic Range of the receivers in both radios appears in on-air CW pileups appears to me to be very closely matched. Kicking in the 600 Hz roofing filter provides a very small but still noticeable improvement. My FTDX-3000 was not ordered with the optional 300 Hz roofing filter but it may be worth considering if you are sure you need a slight amount additional performance, which frankly can only be measured with laboratory test equipment. Personally, I am not a big fan of roofing filters for CW work. I get greater benefit using a combination of DSP audio filtering and IF Shift for CW work. Like its bigger brother, the FTDX-3000 can be narrowed down to 50 Hz bandwidth if and when you need it. As for the small difference in the Noise Floor and Receiver Sensitivity figures reported in Sherwood's lab testing report I am sure you will never notice the difference on the air. The FTDX-3000 being a much smaller and compact transceiver necessitated that Yaesu place many of the front panel controls found on the FTDX-5000 in the 3000's menu. To some folks this may seem to be a real downer. However, Yaesu cleverly placed the most "essential" controls in multi-function knobs and switches on the 3000's front panel and after a short learning curve using the radio every thing else becomes second nature. AS for the 3000's Band Scope and Decoder features, all I can say is they are novel but I prefer to use the radio's IF output to feed my LP-PAN spectrum display and after 60 years of hamming I dont need a decoder to copy Mores Code. Anyone considering the FTDX-3000, or any new transceiver for that matter, I highly recommend you first stop in at your local candy store and spin the knobs first before plunking down you hard earned green stamps. That way, unlike the previous reviewer, you won't be disappointed with the knobs. Considering the pretty reasonable price tag on the 3000 it makes an excellent cost vs. performance benefits buy.

WA4OYX Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Fine Rig, Impressed and Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the radio for about three weeks and still putting it through its paces. Receiver is excellent as other reviewers have noted. Running only 90-100 watts, it gets out well on SSB and CW. This is my 50th year as ham and have played with many radios, up to and including FT9000MP, Collins, Drake, Hallicrafters, many more. This is a fine modern addition to that tradition. Recommended!

W8NWN Rating: 3/5 Aug 24, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
NOT IMPRESSED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not impressed. Works the same as all other good radios except that the buttons are smaller and closer together. At present, it is just sitting on my desk doing nothing. I seem to use my other radios first and the DX3000 last. Sorry.