Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 13:32 Send this review to a friend
A Personal Touch Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've have this rig for about two months. Very versitile transmitter and receiver. As in you can make either sound as you wish. Many adjustments in the menu to customize. Took me a while to get it the way I really liked it. I like the bandscope but not for really weak signals. Transmitter is nice to have 100 pep on SSB. My Kenwoods struggle here...Receive is easy to listen to. I can't find anything wrong at this point. Nice solid built rig...

VE2AF Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Très bon "transceiver"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Je possède ce ftdx3000 depuis environ 2 mois et je suis très satisfait.La sensibilité et la sélectivité sont bonnes, les filtres sont efficaces particulièrement le "notch".Seul petit point négatif;des boutons métalliques auraient apporté une touche de luxe très appréciée.J'aime bien le "band scope",malgré sa petite taille,il est fonctionnel.L'audio est très bonne également.

W7DO Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio and opted for the 300 Hz roofing filter. What is very cool, is to get an RF-Space IQ SDR receiver and use the HDSDR software which is free-ware and set it up at the 9 MHz IF output port.
Now you have a very big band scope with point and click features that make CW operating behave like PSK water fall tuning. As of late I'm using an Icom 7600 as SO2RX, with the FT-3000 being the master, very cool setup. But have to save up money for more microHAM gadgets to make a dream configuration.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the chance to spend a lot of time with this radio. Yaesu has a winner with the FTdx3000.

The radio has many menus but this is the beauty of it. The user can totally set the radio up exactly the way they want it.

The layout has been thought through so when an operator is using the radio the controls are easy to find and adjust with no problems. If you have owned Yaesu radios in the past this radio is quite simple to use without having to dig in the manual constantly.

The TFT display is bright and colorful and has nice representations of Contour, Width, Notch, and Shift, so as you adjust each of these features you can watch it on the display. For me this is a real plus, to SEE what the radio is doing.

Some people say the bandscope is small. I think it is sized perfectly for the radio. And it works the way it should. You can quickly find a clear frequency to call CQ or find a pileup and see what all the fuss is about.

This radio sports a nice big fat VFO knob, just the way I like them. Nice smooth tuning and at the size a VFO knob should be.

This radio uses down conversion and is the quietest receiver that I have ever used. And the DNR actually works. Very well.

Receive audio is superb through my SP-2000. I enjoy shortwave listening and MW dx'ing. It is a treat with this setup.

This radio comes stock with the FS-2 remote. This lets you record the last few seconds of receive audio any time you like.

The cw, psk31, rtty decode is a feature that I personally will not use much because I have computer programs I use instead. But for the person that doesn't have a shack computer or if an op just wants to SEE what is being communicated back and forth, there it is right on the screen.

In conclusion this radio is just packed with features. The down conversion receiver is amazing and sounds fantastic. The TFT display with all of your information right there in front of you at a glance makes operating easy and fun.
This radio is a gem and as more ops add it to their shack I think it will be a classic. Good job Yaesu and thank you!

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a FT-2000 for this radio. I am absolutely DELIGHTED with it. It has the best receiver I have ever owned. The roofing filters work well and the digital noise reduction is effective. I use the IF out with my SDR-IQ for a pan-adaptor. There is a learning curve with this radio -- there are a LOT of menu selections that will require the user to read the manual.

AC4G Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig I Ever Owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this rig for 2 months. It has the quieted, lowest noise floor of any rig I have owned and I have been ham for 35 years. Rig works great on CW with filters to knock-out the QRM/QRN. On SSB, the filters and the features such as DNR eliminate most of the noise and interference. For RTTY/PSK modes, just connect PC via the USB port or use the 5 memories to transmit the memory contents such as call-sign in M1, signal report in M2, etc using the built-in encoders/decoders. After playing with the knobs and the menu, one can come up to speed fast operating this rig. Even though the TFT (scope) is small, one can still see across the spectrum and who is splattering nearby. The price of this rig may hurt the average ham, but the performance working DX is very much worth it for a 100W rig. In my book, this rig gets a 5 out of 5.

K4JRS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the Ft-3000 for almost two months and really enjoy the radio. Once you learn to navigate the menus you can access and utilize many features available with the radio. I have a number of Yaesu radios which include the Ft-2000,FT5000, and the FT950 and the Ft-102. I enjoy CW the most on the 3000. I find that if you tune a very weak station all the radios will hear it almost equally. Interference will show the differences with the 5000 and the 2000 being able to access different settings very quickly. I do like the 3000 being able to access a menu just by holding in the bottom. It is all in what you get you get used to that makes the difference in radio satisfaction. I also found that the better your antennas the better the radios will respond and receive. I like the Ft-3000 and will keep it in my stable of radios.
Jim

K0XY Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 14:00 Send this review to a friend
... oh rah !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...I picked up the ftdx3000 this week. I'm 99% CW chasing "whatever DX" and casual contesting...the radio is EXCELLENT; Receive,Transmit, Ergonomics, TFT display and DSP filtering that will take you to 50hz with no ringing, no ringing...OH RAH !

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2013 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Just brilliant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned a lot of Yaesu HF radios, FT-817ND, FT-857D, FT-897D, FT-450, FT-950, FT-2000, FTDX-5000MP, FTDX-9000D and some of these more than once. Thing is, I knew I liked the Yaesu radio's ergonomics but I couldn't settle on one in my quest to find the best radio for me.

After many changes in opinion, soul searching and thousands of pounds later, I am ready to settle on the FTDX-3000.

What I like about it:

1: The receiver is excellent, not an FTDX-9000 but for casual operation and SWL'ing there is nothing the FTDX-3000 cannot do. The filtering and DSP are very good in real world terms and if you watch some of my YouTube videos you will see what I mean.

2: It is a lightweight, 12v radio. Which I prefer, means I can move it if I need to, can run it on batteries if there is a need and have no issues caused by an internal PSU (heat and potential failure).

3: TX is excellent right out of the box - using an MD-200 or Heil Pro Set Elite 6, I get good audio reports and the 3 band equaliser is the same setup as the FTDX-5000.

4: The ergonomics are great. All the important stuff is on the front, including a scope which is perfectly adequate. The menu system is all in plain English.

5: The CW/RTTY decoder is very accurate. Again, see my YouTube videos for the proof.

I do think if you don't let marginal specs get in the way this really is an impressive radio to use and to look at. I got mine fully loaded, with the DVS-6 recorder module and the 300Hz filter which is a must for anyone wanting their best from data/cw with this radio.

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 15:32 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I have waited for a while before I put up a post on the 3000 and am a bit lost for words, don't know where to start. I will put it this way there are many great Radio's but very few that will make you say day after day I LOVE THIS RADIO! and this is one of them. I will just say this because you could go on and on with this radio. TX Audio (even with stock Mic ) outstanding and RX audio is outstanding and then you add all the filtering and EQ on TX it's all ++++++++++PLUS. I now run a PR-40 on the 3000 and when I first went on the air with it the Guys laughed and all they could say was WOW your shaking my speaker, I said I would cut back the gain and cut back on the bass they said don't touch it sounds fantastic after 4 months I still get I can't believe the audio you are getting out of that rig.
I will say it again I have a TS-590 and some other radios and they are great radios but I LOVE MY FTdx3000.
If you can just go and listen to one and compare it to what you hear from other Radios and you will see what I am talking about.

All the best.