Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

G7JZD Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the FTDX3000 since the end of January 2013.
It took no getting use to having upgraded from a FT950.

I think it is a great radio, everything works as it should do, all the filters, the DNR, and DNF.
The scope is usable but i don't use the digital modes, but did try them and managed with the scope, but there is always the external units to use if digital is what you like.

People that don't like Yaesu's Menu system, i would say they run the radio via Ham Radio Deluxe, then all the Menu's are there on the screen to alter at you will.
All my contacts do say that i sound very good and they like my audio,( i use a MD100 Mic ) and all the incoming signals sound great to me. ( i use the SP 2000 Speaker )
I have found it to be the quietest radio i have ever used, at first i thought i had not got the antenna's connected.
As i said a great radio, i am glad the station manager said i could have one, and i can not see me parting with it.
Yaesu are onto a winner with it.

N6EB Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Best radio I have used in 55 yrs of ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an FT-950 and FT-450. Back in the early 70's I had an FTDX-560 which was a great radio. When I saw the FTDX-3000D at the Visalia DX Convention this year I fell in love with it.

I purchased from AES Las Vegas two weeks ago. What a radio! It has stood up to all my expectations. The dsp is outstanding. I do not like the dsp on the 950 as it has to much echo. The 3000 has very little and it makes the difference of working a dx station or not. The menu system is very easy to use unlike the 450 or the 950. I have no problem with the power setting using the menu and I use it a lot with my AL-80A. The mic equalizer is much easier to adjust with the on-screen menu system.
If I had a gripe it would be the mode switch. I like the mode change switches on the 950 better. All said and done....A GREAT RADIO

G4OER Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 02:32 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very pleased with the radio. DNR is the best I have used. The only little problem is that the RX socket has a small amount of RF present when the rig goes to TX. I plan on adding an external relay to automatically disconnect the feed from the sub-receiver.

WA4DMV Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Everything I need and more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these babies for $2399 (with rebate) and I'm very happy with my purchase. I wanted to convey my pleasure here, especially because so many reviews seem to incorporate cranky nit-picking.

I have only one, single nit-pick, which I'll get out of the way first. While you can change CW power with a front-panel knob, changing SSB power is accomplished through the menu. If you don't vary your power much, this isn't a problem. However, if you're tuning up an amp and you have to switch between CW and SSB, it's easy to forget that the CW power setting doesn't affect SSB. Only the max power setting, available only through the menu, does that. (However, the max power setting DOES affect CW power, as it cannot be exceeded). I set up the programmable convenience button to bring up this menu item, but I wish it was available on the front panel. (The knob used for power setting in CW mode is repurposed to Speech Processor level in SSB mode.)

Otherwise, all is well. Great receiver, with built-in roofing filters, excellent DSP noise reduction and digital notch filter, along with front-panel controls for width, IF shift, notch, and contour filters. I have used the rig for SSB and BPSK31. I get great audio reports without the processor, while using the processor at about 50% seems to punch through the QRM quite well.

Working split is no problem with dual VFOs. You can also split without switching VFOs by using the famous Yaesu "clarifier" if your split is not too great. This is convenient for DX working "1 up", etc.

The scope is fine. Those who disparage it might have been expecting a 15" display or something. Sure, it is small, but I'm able to see what is going on quite well (so I can get annoyed at those offshore stations that are running 5KW and using 6kHz bandwidth). It's all very clear to me -- and my eyes are not young.

Altogether, I can find few faults with the FT-DX3000D. There is no buyer's remorse here!

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
A Great High-End Radio at a Moderate Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. Great receive (and filters), great audio reports on the air, tons of features, well placed controls, and it looks very good.

Way to go Yaesu! A new standard for moderate priced radios.

Brent / K4GHR

GM0DYU Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks, had this radio a couple of months so early days, but so far very impressed with my first Yaesu transceiver (coming from Kenwood), a good sized rig with great ergonomics for the HF operator, looks very impressive on the bench. All the controls I use often are within easy reach, no more hovering the finger over the front panel of my TS2000 trying to remember the key pushes to adjust AGC etc., the display is really nice and bright with a good size font so easy to read, especially useful being able to visualise the effect of width/shift/notch/contour adjustments, others have mentioned the scope is small but come on - its not a spectrum analyser but it is a very useful tool to help assess band activity. As others commented very quiet receiver, effective DSP and the USB CAT/Audio works a treat with my software (HRD, DM780, JT65 etc), the only small niggle is lack of back light for the band select buttons but that aside no regrets at all moving to Yaesu ! 73

KD2CJJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Wow... All I can say!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was torn between the FTDX3000, K3 and KX3.... I ruled out the KX3 as I came to the conclusion I wanted a full size rig..... I then had to rule out the K3 really just because of cost. Once I added all the options (IF out & Tuner)I wanted it was significantly more... Add the frills which are nice to have (USB, Band Scope) the Yaesu just won my business.

Coming from a IC7000 I know its hard for me to review such a rig... But I can honestly say that the rig is just night and day in all accounts (except the Noise Blanketer, I will get to that). I absolutely love the ergonomics, the screen is crystal clear,and honestly this is by far the quietest rig I have ever heard; and its not deaf!! It just knows when to pull in the signal and wipe out all the noise. It has a super sensitive receiver but just again can wipe out the noise. Until you use the rig you wont know what I am talking about. I love the USB CAT and AUDIO IN/OUT feature - Digital is a pleasure now!! The band scope is far better than the IC7000 as it does not interrupt the audio, I also love the fact it comes with a IF out port which can be used with PAN adapter (ie P3 by Elecraft) or even your computer with the proper converter box. Absolutely the only complaint I have is with the noise blanketer. It is not as effective as on the IC7000 - but the IC7000 was made to be in a car thus I suspect they invested a fair amount of time... everything else just works real real well....

Wow... All I can say!

N3YV Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 07:35 Send this review to a friend
great upgrade !!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Folks! I recently upgraded from FT-2000 to the FTDX-3000,at first when I took it out of box I didn't like how much smaller was compare to the FT-2000, then when I fired up I was like WOW ! that's nice referring about the display and the super low floor noise again compare to the FT2k,and then I started touching here and there and now after a few days of use I'm totally impressed with the radio ,it outperform the Ft-2000 in many ways, super receiver so quiet and the roofing filter they actually work and the DSP is very good using the DNR and setting it up properly is amazing how it clear whatever noise is left without that stupid underwater sound, about the scope some folks rate it poor due to it's size,,well they must be blind or they need glasses,,,common !!

anyway awesome rig and I feel that I did the right upgrade at the right price instead of blowing 5K in the FTDX-5000 to ragchew and casual DX.

WB2PJH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FTdx3000, for me has the right balance between cost and features. The menus are intuitive and clear to read (I also have an FT897D) and the DSP is great. Transmit and receive audio are outstanding. I work mostly CW and RTTY and on CW I can listen for hours without fatigue and never felt the need to use an external speaker. I also wanted a rig with a
downcoversion reciever. I have been getting great reports on my audio and the rig is a pleasure to use on CW. Some people have argued about "phase noise" degrading the receiver performance and while I won't argue with Sherwood Engineering, the receiver is outstanding to my ears. I also operate on 6 meters and having an additional preamp stage available is a plus.

Ergonomically the radio is very well laid out. It has knurled knobs with a substantial feel. It's a nice looking radio without too many controls to
clutter up the front. The buttons that I use regularly are large enough for normal fingers and the display is large and clear. I don't rely on the bandscope but like the large, easy to read display. I echo the comments that this is a quiet receiver, and the DSP is well implemented. The manual is mostly well written except for the digital mode section which could use some elaboration. I own a Yaesu FT897D and an Elecraft KPA500 amp and was originally planning on building a K3 which is also an excellent radio, but I felt that for the features I was looking for, the FTdx3000 was more up to date, less expensive, and I'd buy it again.

Dave WB2PJH

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 11:15 Send this review to a friend
I compared  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will make this simple. I own 2 K3s and a TS590 as well as the FTDX3000. Yes I compare these radios on a daily basis. At the old price of 2600/2700 dollars I did not buy. But at 2300 dollars it is a no brainer. The K3 is overpriced the 590 is under-featured, at their price points, but the YAESU now is smack on.