Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
A Great High-End Radio at a Moderate Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. Great receive (and filters), great audio reports on the air, tons of features, well placed controls, and it looks very good.

Way to go Yaesu! A new standard for moderate priced radios.

Brent / K4GHR

GM0DYU Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks, had this radio a couple of months so early days, but so far very impressed with my first Yaesu transceiver (coming from Kenwood), a good sized rig with great ergonomics for the HF operator, looks very impressive on the bench. All the controls I use often are within easy reach, no more hovering the finger over the front panel of my TS2000 trying to remember the key pushes to adjust AGC etc., the display is really nice and bright with a good size font so easy to read, especially useful being able to visualise the effect of width/shift/notch/contour adjustments, others have mentioned the scope is small but come on - its not a spectrum analyser but it is a very useful tool to help assess band activity. As others commented very quiet receiver, effective DSP and the USB CAT/Audio works a treat with my software (HRD, DM780, JT65 etc), the only small niggle is lack of back light for the band select buttons but that aside no regrets at all moving to Yaesu ! 73

KD2CJJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Wow... All I can say!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was torn between the FTDX3000, K3 and KX3.... I ruled out the KX3 as I came to the conclusion I wanted a full size rig..... I then had to rule out the K3 really just because of cost. Once I added all the options (IF out & Tuner)I wanted it was significantly more... Add the frills which are nice to have (USB, Band Scope) the Yaesu just won my business.

Coming from a IC7000 I know its hard for me to review such a rig... But I can honestly say that the rig is just night and day in all accounts (except the Noise Blanketer, I will get to that). I absolutely love the ergonomics, the screen is crystal clear,and honestly this is by far the quietest rig I have ever heard; and its not deaf!! It just knows when to pull in the signal and wipe out all the noise. It has a super sensitive receiver but just again can wipe out the noise. Until you use the rig you wont know what I am talking about. I love the USB CAT and AUDIO IN/OUT feature - Digital is a pleasure now!! The band scope is far better than the IC7000 as it does not interrupt the audio, I also love the fact it comes with a IF out port which can be used with PAN adapter (ie P3 by Elecraft) or even your computer with the proper converter box. Absolutely the only complaint I have is with the noise blanketer. It is not as effective as on the IC7000 - but the IC7000 was made to be in a car thus I suspect they invested a fair amount of time... everything else just works real real well....

Wow... All I can say!

N3YV Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 07:35 Send this review to a friend
great upgrade !!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Folks! I recently upgraded from FT-2000 to the FTDX-3000,at first when I took it out of box I didn't like how much smaller was compare to the FT-2000, then when I fired up I was like WOW ! that's nice referring about the display and the super low floor noise again compare to the FT2k,and then I started touching here and there and now after a few days of use I'm totally impressed with the radio ,it outperform the Ft-2000 in many ways, super receiver so quiet and the roofing filter they actually work and the DSP is very good using the DNR and setting it up properly is amazing how it clear whatever noise is left without that stupid underwater sound, about the scope some folks rate it poor due to it's size,,well they must be blind or they need glasses,,,common !!

anyway awesome rig and I feel that I did the right upgrade at the right price instead of blowing 5K in the FTDX-5000 to ragchew and casual DX.

WB2PJH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FTdx3000, for me has the right balance between cost and features. The menus are intuitive and clear to read (I also have an FT897D) and the DSP is great. Transmit and receive audio are outstanding. I work mostly CW and RTTY and on CW I can listen for hours without fatigue and never felt the need to use an external speaker. I also wanted a rig with a
downcoversion reciever. I have been getting great reports on my audio and the rig is a pleasure to use on CW. Some people have argued about "phase noise" degrading the receiver performance and while I won't argue with Sherwood Engineering, the receiver is outstanding to my ears. I also operate on 6 meters and having an additional preamp stage available is a plus.

Ergonomically the radio is very well laid out. It has knurled knobs with a substantial feel. It's a nice looking radio without too many controls to
clutter up the front. The buttons that I use regularly are large enough for normal fingers and the display is large and clear. I don't rely on the bandscope but like the large, easy to read display. I echo the comments that this is a quiet receiver, and the DSP is well implemented. The manual is mostly well written except for the digital mode section which could use some elaboration. I own a Yaesu FT897D and an Elecraft KPA500 amp and was originally planning on building a K3 which is also an excellent radio, but I felt that for the features I was looking for, the FTdx3000 was more up to date, less expensive, and I'd buy it again.

Dave WB2PJH

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 11:15 Send this review to a friend
I compared  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will make this simple. I own 2 K3s and a TS590 as well as the FTDX3000. Yes I compare these radios on a daily basis. At the old price of 2600/2700 dollars I did not buy. But at 2300 dollars it is a no brainer. The K3 is overpriced the 590 is under-featured, at their price points, but the YAESU now is smack on.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio since late January 2013.
I've done lots of comparisons between the Elecraft K3, KX3, and Kenwood TS590S and this radio accounts very well indeed for itself.
I regularly copy ZL3XDJ on 40m so can't get much further away.
Swopping between the KX3 and the 3000, there really is no difference in readability even when conditions get worse.
In fact with it's array of features I could prefer the 3000 when conditions deteriorate and its bigger speaker helps.
The 3000 has a really nice base station feel and it's down conversion performance is much better than the ICOM 7600
Now awaiting the Peter Hart Radcom review.

However if I had to choose between the KX3 and the 3000
then it would be the KX3 'little, so versatile miracle'

73 Rob G3RCE

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the FTDX3K this week from the guy's down in Delaware HRO and been playing with the rig plus doing comparo's with my TS590 before I shipped it out and wow what a nice rig. The two rig's work very well but IMO the Yaesu has the edge. There was never a time that one rig heard a signal the other one did not but the RX audio on the Yaesu was cleaner, one of the best audio amp's in a rig I have heard and for the investment dollar fantastic. The selectivity can be made sharper with different menu setting plus the notch seem's sharper as well plus the DNR/DNF seem faster leaving less of that hollow DSP sound to the signal's. I mostly use SSB but on CW the note is soo clean and pure that it's making me get back into CW more. I would say that all the DSP tool's work just a wee bit better plus the noise floor is much lower with the 3K, it makes using this radio for hour's on end soo easy, the 590 was ok but the 3K is better. The TX audio is outstanding, either with or without the RF processor in and the three band EQ works amazing. It drive's the amp far better than the 590 did but the Yaesu rig's alway's did. The band scope is small but I op the rig at about a foot away so I have no problem with the size plus the smaller audio scope to the side is real nice, I find I do use it and find that its not the size of the Icom rig's but good enough. At this price point that they are selling the FT3K for this month IMO is one of the biggest band for the buck's around. The pic's on he net do not do this radio justice, when you take it outa the box and place the rig on your table it look's so much better in real life, the knob's are not plastic, they are metal and have a very nice smooth feel. There will be some techies out there that will say that the lab number's sould be better but I don't think most ham's will really see the difference. I have a local ham less than 1/4 mile away and the FT3K doesn't have any issue's unless were less than 5Khz apart on the same band plus both running a KW. The NB work's very well and you can hold the button down which allow's you to go right to the menu, at that point you can fine tune it from 1-100 instead of 1-10. Everything work's very well and after owning a few good FT1KMP's, then the TS590 well let's just say I am a happy camper with the FTDX3000, Yaesu did an outstanding job with this rig. I feel that now that Yaesu is no longer with Vertex/Standard that there back in full swing with building real ham rig's again, the FTDX5000 and 3000 are bringin them back into the fold. Try one out at your local radio dealer if you can, I feel you will be surprised.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the previous poster, I tried my best not to like this radio, with it sitting here next to my Icom 7600. During the WPX SSB contest this past weekend, I was able to run both radios side by side and switch my antennas between them for comparison. While I prefer the band scope on the 7600 - big, bold, easy to see the big signals at a distance, I found the scope on the 3000 acceptable, and with the addition of a Funcube Dongle Pro+ coupled to the 3000's 9MHZ IF output, you can have a very competent bandscope as large as any monitor you have. I found the 3000's receiver both sensitive and quiet, and had to switch back and forth between radios to verify that the 3000 was hearing signals at times. It indeed was, and very well, just a quieter noise floor. The array of connection options on the 3000's rear panel, including USB and DB-9, allow many control and interface opportunities. The menu options are definitely easier to find and activate on the 3000, with the 7600's looking a bit clunky here. Aesthetics are important to some, and I would have to say that the 3000 beats the Icom despite the Yaesu's smaller size. Plus, you save about $1500 on the new prices by choosing the Yaesu over the Icom.

SV1ONY Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Best value for money radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

This is my first pure HF radio. I played with the Kenwood TS-2000 for a while and sold it to buy the Yaesu FTDX 3000. The receiver is fantastic and can pull out very weak stations easily. The filters work perfectly and the audio sounds analog giving you a very pleasant listening. Even with the DNR on and the level at maximum, it still sounds analog.

IMHO the single button to switch modes is not an issue, since the band keys work as a triple band stack and can memorise the mode for each portion of the band independently (CW, DATA, PHONE).

The menu navigation is very convenient, but you have the option to navigate directly to the menu setting(s) while pressing and holding the corresponding button or switch.

The Scope is a bit small but is very efficient for my needs. I have set it in fix mode so I can have a quick view of the band activity. It's very interesting that you can also get the 9 MHZ IF from the output jack and use an SDR as previously mentioned.