Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

W8NWN Rating: 0/5 Jun 8, 2013 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Display Problems.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an early review of this supposedly fine transceiver, and should be taken accordingly.

I have only had it a few weeks and was not going to write this, but after thinking about it, I decided to write a few lines or two just to let everyone know of the potential problem.

After having it a couple of weeks, the display started “flickering” badly at about level 12 or 13. I finally had to turn it way down to about 2 or 3 (default is 8) to get it to mostly stop. To top it off, when the brightness was turned up, the display “washed out”. NOT right!. HRO replaced the whole radio and the replacement radio’s display was rock stable and beautiful as advertised.

Having this bad experience soured me on the whole radio, I will write another review later. But for now……….it’s a 0………sorry

K0XY Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 14:00 Send this review to a friend
... oh rah !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...I picked up the ftdx3000 this week. I'm 99% CW chasing "whatever DX" and casual contesting...the radio is EXCELLENT; Receive,Transmit, Ergonomics, TFT display and DSP filtering that will take you to 50hz with no ringing, no ringing...OH RAH !

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2013 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Just brilliant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned a lot of Yaesu HF radios, FT-817ND, FT-857D, FT-897D, FT-450, FT-950, FT-2000, FTDX-5000MP, FTDX-9000D and some of these more than once. Thing is, I knew I liked the Yaesu radio's ergonomics but I couldn't settle on one in my quest to find the best radio for me.

After many changes in opinion, soul searching and thousands of pounds later, I am ready to settle on the FTDX-3000.

What I like about it:

1: The receiver is excellent, not an FTDX-9000 but for casual operation and SWL'ing there is nothing the FTDX-3000 cannot do. The filtering and DSP are very good in real world terms and if you watch some of my YouTube videos you will see what I mean.

2: It is a lightweight, 12v radio. Which I prefer, means I can move it if I need to, can run it on batteries if there is a need and have no issues caused by an internal PSU (heat and potential failure).

3: TX is excellent right out of the box - using an MD-200 or Heil Pro Set Elite 6, I get good audio reports and the 3 band equaliser is the same setup as the FTDX-5000.

4: The ergonomics are great. All the important stuff is on the front, including a scope which is perfectly adequate. The menu system is all in plain English.

5: The CW/RTTY decoder is very accurate. Again, see my YouTube videos for the proof.

I do think if you don't let marginal specs get in the way this really is an impressive radio to use and to look at. I got mine fully loaded, with the DVS-6 recorder module and the 300Hz filter which is a must for anyone wanting their best from data/cw with this radio.

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 15:32 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I have waited for a while before I put up a post on the 3000 and am a bit lost for words, don't know where to start. I will put it this way there are many great Radio's but very few that will make you say day after day I LOVE THIS RADIO! and this is one of them. I will just say this because you could go on and on with this radio. TX Audio (even with stock Mic ) outstanding and RX audio is outstanding and then you add all the filtering and EQ on TX it's all ++++++++++PLUS. I now run a PR-40 on the 3000 and when I first went on the air with it the Guys laughed and all they could say was WOW your shaking my speaker, I said I would cut back the gain and cut back on the bass they said don't touch it sounds fantastic after 4 months I still get I can't believe the audio you are getting out of that rig.
I will say it again I have a TS-590 and some other radios and they are great radios but I LOVE MY FTdx3000.
If you can just go and listen to one and compare it to what you hear from other Radios and you will see what I am talking about.

All the best.
Mike
VE3WCQ

N6EB Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Best radio I have used in 55 yrs of ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an FT-950 and FT-450. Back in the early 70's I had an FTDX-560 which was a great radio. When I saw the FTDX-3000D at the Visalia DX Convention this year I fell in love with it.

I purchased from AES Las Vegas two weeks ago. What a radio! It has stood up to all my expectations. The dsp is outstanding. I do not like the dsp on the 950 as it has to much echo. The 3000 has very little and it makes the difference of working a dx station or not. The menu system is very easy to use unlike the 450 or the 950. I have no problem with the power setting using the menu and I use it a lot with my AL-80A. The mic equalizer is much easier to adjust with the on-screen menu system.
If I had a gripe it would be the mode switch. I like the mode change switches on the 950 better. All said and done....A GREAT RADIO

G4OER Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 02:32 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very pleased with the radio. DNR is the best I have used. The only little problem is that the RX socket has a small amount of RF present when the rig goes to TX. I plan on adding an external relay to automatically disconnect the feed from the sub-receiver.

WA4DMV Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Everything I need and more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these babies for $2399 (with rebate) and I'm very happy with my purchase. I wanted to convey my pleasure here, especially because so many reviews seem to incorporate cranky nit-picking.

I have only one, single nit-pick, which I'll get out of the way first. While you can change CW power with a front-panel knob, changing SSB power is accomplished through the menu. If you don't vary your power much, this isn't a problem. However, if you're tuning up an amp and you have to switch between CW and SSB, it's easy to forget that the CW power setting doesn't affect SSB. Only the max power setting, available only through the menu, does that. (However, the max power setting DOES affect CW power, as it cannot be exceeded). I set up the programmable convenience button to bring up this menu item, but I wish it was available on the front panel. (The knob used for power setting in CW mode is repurposed to Speech Processor level in SSB mode.)

Otherwise, all is well. Great receiver, with built-in roofing filters, excellent DSP noise reduction and digital notch filter, along with front-panel controls for width, IF shift, notch, and contour filters. I have used the rig for SSB and BPSK31. I get great audio reports without the processor, while using the processor at about 50% seems to punch through the QRM quite well.

Working split is no problem with dual VFOs. You can also split without switching VFOs by using the famous Yaesu "clarifier" if your split is not too great. This is convenient for DX working "1 up", etc.

The scope is fine. Those who disparage it might have been expecting a 15" display or something. Sure, it is small, but I'm able to see what is going on quite well (so I can get annoyed at those offshore stations that are running 5KW and using 6kHz bandwidth). It's all very clear to me -- and my eyes are not young.

Altogether, I can find few faults with the FT-DX3000D. There is no buyer's remorse here!

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
A Great High-End Radio at a Moderate Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. Great receive (and filters), great audio reports on the air, tons of features, well placed controls, and it looks very good.

Way to go Yaesu! A new standard for moderate priced radios.

Brent / K4GHR

GM0DYU Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks, had this radio a couple of months so early days, but so far very impressed with my first Yaesu transceiver (coming from Kenwood), a good sized rig with great ergonomics for the HF operator, looks very impressive on the bench. All the controls I use often are within easy reach, no more hovering the finger over the front panel of my TS2000 trying to remember the key pushes to adjust AGC etc., the display is really nice and bright with a good size font so easy to read, especially useful being able to visualise the effect of width/shift/notch/contour adjustments, others have mentioned the scope is small but come on - its not a spectrum analyser but it is a very useful tool to help assess band activity. As others commented very quiet receiver, effective DSP and the USB CAT/Audio works a treat with my software (HRD, DM780, JT65 etc), the only small niggle is lack of back light for the band select buttons but that aside no regrets at all moving to Yaesu ! 73

KD2CJJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Wow... All I can say!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was torn between the FTDX3000, K3 and KX3.... I ruled out the KX3 as I came to the conclusion I wanted a full size rig..... I then had to rule out the K3 really just because of cost. Once I added all the options (IF out & Tuner)I wanted it was significantly more... Add the frills which are nice to have (USB, Band Scope) the Yaesu just won my business.

Coming from a IC7000 I know its hard for me to review such a rig... But I can honestly say that the rig is just night and day in all accounts (except the Noise Blanketer, I will get to that). I absolutely love the ergonomics, the screen is crystal clear,and honestly this is by far the quietest rig I have ever heard; and its not deaf!! It just knows when to pull in the signal and wipe out all the noise. It has a super sensitive receiver but just again can wipe out the noise. Until you use the rig you wont know what I am talking about. I love the USB CAT and AUDIO IN/OUT feature - Digital is a pleasure now!! The band scope is far better than the IC7000 as it does not interrupt the audio, I also love the fact it comes with a IF out port which can be used with PAN adapter (ie P3 by Elecraft) or even your computer with the proper converter box. Absolutely the only complaint I have is with the noise blanketer. It is not as effective as on the IC7000 - but the IC7000 was made to be in a car thus I suspect they invested a fair amount of time... everything else just works real real well....

Wow... All I can say!