Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2013 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for about two months now. I had an FT-1000MP MK V and a TS-590 to perform all the bands and modes that I want to work. I bought the 3K to have an all in one radio that would perform all the tasks of the two radios, and also interface with my Quadra amp. The FTdx-3000D accomplishes what I want very well. The receiver is very quite and the TX audio is good so far. I've installed the latest firmware upgrades and enjoy the increased functionality.

The one thing I don't like is that Yaesu doesn't provide any software to save your menu settings, and this rig has a ton of them. When you perform a firmware update the rig goes back to factory default settings. The TS-590 has some great free software that allows good control of the rig and easy methods of setting and/or restoring menu settings. The 3K has all the same capability of the TS-590, but Yaesu hasn't caught up in the software department. I hope Yaesu continues to pay attention to this rig and the new FTdx-1200 and the comments posted here and provides some control/memory software for these rigs. I guess I could purchase some RT software to save the menu settings, but I'm not sure if all of them will be addressed.

The RF OUT or 9MHz IF OUT can be used with various SDR radios and software to provide a more detailed band scope if you really need one. The built in band scope serves its purpose, but lacks resolution, details and functionality right now. The RF power control features on this rig need some improvement as this is one of the most frequently used functions on any radio. In my opinion is too menu driven right now. Hopefully Yaesu will come up with a firmware update to address this.

I don't miss the two receivers the FT-1000MP has and the receiver is as good as the TS-590. The TX seems to be better then the TS-590 and equal to the FT-1000MP. Digital modes are fairly easy with this rig also. The split operation features are easy to use and typical Yaesu. The build quality seems to be very good also. It is a nice sized rig.

None of the improvement needed items listed here are a deal breaker for the rig. Overall I am very impressed with the 3K which is why a give it a five. I'll provide more information as I get used to the rig and work with it more.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Superb all round performer  Time owned: months
In my earlier review I said I would choose the KX3 over the FTDX-3000
Well really you can't compare them, the KX3 is more an excellent SSB/CW portable/mobile rig. They are different beasts.
The 3000 is a decent, nice sized base station rig,
With the recent firmware update, you now get an excellent full screen bandscope, I really like this.
The 3000 is rock stable on digital modes, (don't buy the KX3 if you want to use the digital modes, especially WSPR, it is just not stable enough).
Having used my 3000 for 6 months, I've got to say that
it is my favourite value for money/performance radio.
I have not yet fitted the optional 300Hz roofing filter but I'm sure it will help for close in digital and cw operation.
Rob G3RCE

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2013 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rig has been in my shack for just over 3 months now. My prior rig was a Kenwood TS-590 which I never fully liked. I was really looking for a better performer on the Voice/SSB side and I beleive I found it in the form of the FTdx-3000! The radio has been fantastic on all modes. I'm amazed how great the receiver sounds. Unlike the TS-590, I can listen to the 3000 all day long. It also performs much better on the transmit side. I get great audio reports and have no problem getting through the pileups. It's just a pleasure to have in the shack. The displays are all great looking and for me easy to see. The menus are easy to navigate and tailor to just about any liking.

I've added the DVS-6 Voice Memory Unit which is very easy to use. I've also added the 300 Hz CW Narrow Filter and MD-100 Desk Mic. I'm very happy with performance.

I have the rig directly connected to my computer via the USB Port and run Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6. I run JT-65, PSK, RTTY and CW all without any issues. I have tailored the rig control buttons to my liking and can control just about any button/menu funtion from my computer. It's very easy to setup and use.

The RX ANT port output and 9 MHZ IF-out is also used in conjuntion with my QS1R SDR Receiver and RF Pixel Broadband Loop.

Yaesu has released two firmware updates since I've owned the rig and they were very easy to incorperate using just the USB cable. The latest update includes a full screen band scope display.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just upgraded to the Yaesu FTDX-3000. I have owned a FT-2000 and Flex-5000 in the past, and was nervous about buying another Yaesu rig after owning a Flex Radio.

If I had to choose, between the Flex-5000 and the Yaesu FTDX-3000, I would choose the Yaesu. I miss having a second receiver in the FT-2000, but not necessarily needed. With a LP-Pan adapter you can use PowerSDR just like the Flex Radio.

The FTDX3000 is what the FT-2000 was meant to be. I enjoyed the FT-2000, but the receiver was average at best. The new FTDX-3000 is a great value and offers a lot of features.

I am happy with this radio and would buy it again.

K0DXV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful, Modern Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my FTdx-3000 a few days ago. Once I got it hooked up I began going through its various settings. Most importantly, I listened to the receiver on various bands in various conditions.

I had heard that the FTdx-5000 was quite a great rig. But its was outside my budget. When I first started seeing the FTdx-3000 and saw that it priced at less than half of the 5000 I became very interested. I checked the test values at Sherwood Engineering and found that the receiver was very top notch.

This was borne out by careful listening. The receiver has a very pleasant, smooth sound with easy access to bandwidth and offset. I have owned Yaesu rigs back to the vacuum tube era. And I've always found them to have excellent-sounding receivers. The FTdx-3000 is one of the best sounding radios I've ever owned.

The transceiver's layout is excellent and very attractive. The TFT display gives the radio a very modern way of showing status. The spectrum display falls short of similar Icom displays. But is still quite useful. An I.F. output on the back provides the ability to work with a variety of other spectrum display devices including the Elecraft P3 which will work plug-n-play with the proper cable.

Overall, the FTdx-3000 is a superb value with a rich set of features and an outstanding receiver. While the menu system can be daunting in complexity, the most important controls are easy to access with status clearly displayed on the well-designed color TFT display. The large, heavy main tuning knob is silky smooth and a total delight to use.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 13:32 Send this review to a friend
A Personal Touch Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've have this rig for about two months. Very versitile transmitter and receiver. As in you can make either sound as you wish. Many adjustments in the menu to customize. Took me a while to get it the way I really liked it. I like the bandscope but not for really weak signals. Transmitter is nice to have 100 pep on SSB. My Kenwoods struggle here...Receive is easy to listen to. I can't find anything wrong at this point. Nice solid built rig...

VE2AF Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Très bon "transceiver"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Je possède ce ftdx3000 depuis environ 2 mois et je suis très satisfait.La sensibilité et la sélectivité sont bonnes, les filtres sont efficaces particulièrement le "notch".Seul petit point négatif;des boutons métalliques auraient apporté une touche de luxe très appréciée.J'aime bien le "band scope",malgré sa petite taille,il est fonctionnel.L'audio est très bonne également.

W7DO Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio and opted for the 300 Hz roofing filter. What is very cool, is to get an RF-Space IQ SDR receiver and use the HDSDR software which is free-ware and set it up at the 9 MHz IF output port.
Now you have a very big band scope with point and click features that make CW operating behave like PSK water fall tuning. As of late I'm using an Icom 7600 as SO2RX, with the FT-3000 being the master, very cool setup. But have to save up money for more microHAM gadgets to make a dream configuration.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the chance to spend a lot of time with this radio. Yaesu has a winner with the FTdx3000.

The radio has many menus but this is the beauty of it. The user can totally set the radio up exactly the way they want it.

The layout has been thought through so when an operator is using the radio the controls are easy to find and adjust with no problems. If you have owned Yaesu radios in the past this radio is quite simple to use without having to dig in the manual constantly.

The TFT display is bright and colorful and has nice representations of Contour, Width, Notch, and Shift, so as you adjust each of these features you can watch it on the display. For me this is a real plus, to SEE what the radio is doing.

Some people say the bandscope is small. I think it is sized perfectly for the radio. And it works the way it should. You can quickly find a clear frequency to call CQ or find a pileup and see what all the fuss is about.

This radio sports a nice big fat VFO knob, just the way I like them. Nice smooth tuning and at the size a VFO knob should be.

This radio uses down conversion and is the quietest receiver that I have ever used. And the DNR actually works. Very well.

Receive audio is superb through my SP-2000. I enjoy shortwave listening and MW dx'ing. It is a treat with this setup.

This radio comes stock with the FS-2 remote. This lets you record the last few seconds of receive audio any time you like.

The cw, psk31, rtty decode is a feature that I personally will not use much because I have computer programs I use instead. But for the person that doesn't have a shack computer or if an op just wants to SEE what is being communicated back and forth, there it is right on the screen.

In conclusion this radio is just packed with features. The down conversion receiver is amazing and sounds fantastic. The TFT display with all of your information right there in front of you at a glance makes operating easy and fun.
This radio is a gem and as more ops add it to their shack I think it will be a classic. Good job Yaesu and thank you!

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded a FT-2000 for this radio. I am absolutely DELIGHTED with it. It has the best receiver I have ever owned. The roofing filters work well and the digital noise reduction is effective. I use the IF out with my SDR-IQ for a pan-adaptor. There is a learning curve with this radio -- there are a LOT of menu selections that will require the user to read the manual.