Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D72A around the World. Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D72A around the World.
Kenwood TH-D72A around the World. Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$464
Description: Dual Band 144/440 Full Duplex
GPS; GPS Logger +5000 points
TNC with AX.25 protocol for Pocket Radio
APRS ®
1000 Memory Channels for working the Satellites
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Portables/TH-D72A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D72A around the World..

F4FAP Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2017 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent all in one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the THD-72E for more than 3 years, almost 100% APRS.
Excellent and versatile all in one performing very well in APRS.

What could have been better :
- Selective desactivation of PTT when using VFO A or B would have been very useful, what cannot be done as menu 13x prevent transmission of VFO A + VFO B + APRS beaconing. Except in APRS « manual beaconing» (menu 3Dx), there is no need to push the PTT.
- Alcaline battery pack would be performing better with AA cells than current AAA. It gives only a short range (power and length of use).
- Considering the former THD-7, the THD-72 have a smaller screen and, on my opinion, a less tactile effective joy stick.
- User manual is sometimes hard to understand. For ex, using the THD-72 as a DigiPeater is a matter of hours in experimenting menus...

Aside this, GPS acquisition is fast, Lion pack gives up to 4 hours range and, yes, menus are dense. Way of use is close to others modern Kenwood such as the TMD-710. Once basics parameters has been programmed, I mainly use 3 menus, depending on being on a static position or mobile : MENU>APRS>30x (call sign SSID), 3Cx (icon) and 3Dx (type of beaconing). That's all.

One very interesting and clever option (what it made the THD-72 superior to the VX8), is the standard micro USB socket. Programming frequencies and all others options is easy. It can also be used to send all packets to a PC and see what happen on a map with big confort versus the small size of the THD-72 screen (I use Yaac for this, when portable).

The THD-72 will be a good challenger for a long time as new hand-helds do the same job with more sophiticated and expensive technology.

K9OBX Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a Yaesu guy since I got into Ham Radio. This is my first Kenwood. I AM IMPRESSED!!! Kenwood puts out a very polished product in this radio. I talked to a friend for almost an hour, walking inside the local mall, while my wife and daughter were shopping. The battery held up great and I was surprised at how well I was able to hit the repeater with the radio on it's lowest power setting while indoors.

I used the Kenwood software from the Kenwood site to program it in the first 15 minutes I had this radio. I have setup the TNC and the APRS settings, which is very easy to do, and used it for APRS. This radio is perfect for APRS.

I will definitely buy another, worth every penny.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Incredibile HT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been remiss in so far as I have not yet written a review for my TH-D72A. I have owned my TH-D72A, not the TH-D72, but the 72A, don't know if there is a difference or not, probably some minor improvements and software upgrades. OK, I like my D72A, it is a very versatile HT, has full duplex operation, has the Sky Command feature, which I am dying to try. It also has APRS, something I wanted to try a couple of years ago, found a mint Kenwood TM-D700A that I traded my tricked out filtered out FT-817ND QRP rig.

The TH-D72A and the TM-D700A are basically the same rig, except for size and shape. I am not quite as active on APRS as I used to be, I still have my beacon on with my D700A, and when I turn my D72A on it sends out a beacon as well, if I remember to turn the beacon on that is. What I have found with this wonderful little HT that it hits repeaters from close in to well over 35-40 miles away, not using the stock rubber duck I'm not, I use any one of several dual band antennas I have for my HT's. I also have a Kenwood TH-F6A, that I use my various and sundry HT antennas on as well.

If you can afford one of these outstanding HT's...get one, they are well worth the expense incurred when you buy one. Once purchased, you ask yourself..how did I ever get along with out one of these incredible HT's. Thanks for reading folks, be safe god bless.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

KC2SIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Best HT I've ever owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'll say up front that I'm not an "HT guy". Most of my ham time is spent working CW on the HF bands. Still, I wanted a new HT and wanted one that offered something a little "extra", something more than just the ability to hit the local repeaters.

The TH-D72A has a built-in TNC. Since I like to dabble in packet radio once in a while, that's a big plus; and it does a very good job in this regard. Very simple, straightforward operation. In addition, the APRS functionality of this HT is incredible. I've had a lot of fun with it!

I won't even bother to list all of the things this HT can do. It would take all day.

Some complain that this HT is on the large size. I don't see that as a weaknest AT ALL. On the contrary, many HT's are, in my opinion, too small...so small that they become difficult to use despite the fact that I don't have particularly large hands. Indeed, if I had my way, even the TH-D72A would be about 25% larger. But of course this won't be everyone's preference and I know there are some hams out there eagerly awaiting the introduction of an HT that you have to view under a microscope.

I find the build quality of this HT to be good, though it is not meant to be a rough and tumble bit of gear that you roll down hills with or drop in the water. It's been reliable for me thus far and I could not be happier with it...despite the steep price tag. It's worth every penny.

KB2VWQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio of for camping.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of Kenwood TH-D72A and both work great. I use both of them when I hike and camp in the mountains or in the wilderness.

In New York I have citywide coverage via repeaters. About 2 winters ago my girlfriend and I went skiing to Vermont and while she was at the lover elevation and I was hiking from the top, the connection was great. The radios survived hard landings of beginning skiers.

In the Spring on 2010 we both went to Polish/Slovak Tatra Mountains. The radios were life savings for us, the batteries lasted for 2-3 days. We were using ARPS to be aware of our individual position and used the GPS to navigate with a paper chart. We were able to send text message to each other via APRS so we did not have to use voice to disturb the nature.

The radios worked great with Arrow antenna to track the satellites.

In December 2011, we went to Perth, Western Australia and the radios were very handy for us. Our US cell phones did not work and D72A allowed us to keep in touch and to even send e-mail via APRS I-gates. We were on +3 weeks outback drive in Wester Australia, with one tent, lots of water, 2 TH-D72A and one FT897D with Buddipole. It was great vacation, yet worrying about snakes and spiders.

The D72A is quite heavy, but it feels good in your hand. It is build very solid and did not get major damage after we dropped it or scratched it climbing the rocks.
The battery lasts long, but it also take time to fully charge.
I would recommend this radio to anyone who is interested in APRS and would like to use the radio in the woods.

If you are thinking about getting it, don't think twice. Write to Santa now, Christmas is upon us

73, Tom WT2NY