Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q Piranha Help

Description: The newly developed Ruggedized Hi-Q-5/160 HF antenna is the
derivative of the Hi-Q MC Military on the Move
Mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q Piranha.

W8JN Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my third antenna from Charlie! Look at the reviews. Did you notice everyone refers to HI-Q as "Charlie"? That is because Charlie is the president, csr rep, chief engineer and phone answering guy! If you call HI-Q, Charlie answers the phone and stays with you until your problem is solved.
I have two 5-160's and just added a 6-RS Piranha to the collection. It costs twice as much as the competition, however if you pay half price for a pair of pants that don't fit, did you really get a good deal. It's not fair to compare the 6 series to any screwdriver on the market. It is like comparing a Bugatti Veron to a Yugo. I use it as a base antenna in my HOA restricted home. It handles full legal limit without breaking a sweat. Can you run that much power through a "cheap screwdriver"? Performance is phenomenal. Take a minute to look at the reviews and give Charlie a call. You will be impressed.
Paul W8JN

K1KRV Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Q's Advanced Design = Real Benefits  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've never written any kind of review, but I'm so strongly impressed by Hi-Q that I felt I should make an exception.

I mounted an Hi-Q 5/80 with a Hi-Q antenna controller on my truck and hooked up a Palstar analyzer: SWR = 1.0 R =48 +j 0 !! I connected the antenna to the radio and talked to the England on 3788 mhz! It was that simple. No shunts or finicky tuning, it just works.

More importantly, the service from Hi-Q's owner has been simply outstanding. When I first received my antenna, I did something really, really, stupid. I took it apart and killed it! Don't ask why. The owner of Hi-Q was not only very nice about the situation, he rebuilt my antenna in a single day (subtracting the shipping time). Throughout my lapse of sanity, I felt I was in very good hands.

Long before ordering the Hi-Q, I researched and carefully considered top-of-the-line antennas. I suspect Eham readers can easily guess which brands I looked at. Other antennas demonstrated similar on-air performance but IMHO: Hi-Q's more advanced design provides benefits that I find really useful and in one instance critical:

1: Lightweight and compact! The Hi-Q only weighs 8.7 lbs and the “footprint” on the bed-rail is no larger than my Tarheel Jr. – so, there's no problem using my truck's bed-cover!! This is critical for our family, since we use the covered truck bed as a big trunk for tools and gear.

A large screwdriver installed in the bed would have stolen space and made it impossible to use the cover. Mounting on the bumper or hitch would have degraded performance. I didn't like those compromises.

I mounted the Hi-Q in the rear stakeholder pocket (driver's side) using a Breedlove mount -- exactly where my Tarheel Jr. used to live. This places the Hi-Q nice and high; with the coil above the cab. Since the lower section of the Hi-Q is 1 1/2” diameter, this antenna was, effectively, a swap-out with my Tarheel Jr. It's no taller than the Tarheel and the larger coil is up in the air where it's no hindrance at all.

2. Constant height! My overall antenna height with a 4 ft. whip is about 10'. This is a real blessing since there are many railroad underpasses in my area. Also the Hi-Q doesn't change height like a screwdriver antenna, so I don't have to worry about hitting an underpass because I made a band change!

3. Weatherproof! I like that the Hi-Q antenna is sealed against the weather. Condensation would appear in my previous screwdriver antennas and while that didn't seem to do any harm; it did show that whatever's in the atmosphere can also get inside the antenna. Under certain conditions that might not be a good thing.

4. Fast Band Changes! The motor in this Hi-Q antenna is fast, fast, FAST! I didn't know how slow, slow really was until I got this antenna. Comparing the Hi-Q to my Tarheel is like comparing a Porsche to Peugot diesel (and I like Peugot diesels)!

5. A bargain! At current prices you can purchase the best mobile antenna made for about the same price as a mid-range screwdriver! While cost was not a key for me, I find this incredible.

6. RUGGED! Before retiring I owned a machine shop and appreciate fine craftsmanship. This Hi-Q antenna is beautifully made. The machining is superb and every component appears to be mil-spec. One Eham reviewer took issue with the “cheap, thin motor wires.” This is ridiculous. That wire looks and feels like the gorgeous, many, many, stranded stuff they use down the road at Sikorsky helicopter. That wire is strong and it's not cheap!

7. Works! Everything works. Everything fits. Everything is well thought out. Antenna, antenna controller and quick disconnect mount are equally well crafted and mil-spec tough. It's very clear that Hi-Q makes no compromises.

8. Design Savvy! I feel that Hi-Q's products demonstrate a lot of design savvy. They are elegant in their simplicity and highly effective. The antenna controller is a turns counter without preset memories and it works beautifully. I also own a very popular antenna controller with lots of buttons and the nicest word I can use to describe it is – inconsistent! Conversely, everything I've purchased from Hi-Q appears designed and built for a NASA flight – not a consumer electronics show.

9. On-air performance? Startling, amazing, like night and day – and any other superlatives I can think of! I enjoyed my other mobile antennas. Each represented the right antenna for that stage of my progress. But compared to the Hi-Q? There really is no comparison. The Hi-Q is in another league.

Other antennas may perform as well, but even if they do, the numerous design advantages of the Hi-Q antenna made this an easy decision for me. Like Porsches, pick-up trucks and lunar modules, Hi-Q gear is purpose built and just plain works. If you like that kind of design you'll be very pleased with Hi-Q.

K0LTD Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2013 02:47 Send this review to a friend
flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
This my 2nd antenna from charlie. I run a 2001 chevy tracker zr2 (a very small vechicle) I have made contacts to eastern Europe, the west coast, daily to Jamaica. I. Live in Erie, Pa. I am about to up my power fom 100 watts with an Icom 7000 to 500 watts using a SGC SG500. I have spoke with Charlie and even been to his home. He will go the extra mile to help..

WA6LDI Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Charlie & His Antennas Are The BEST!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had recently purchased a Military version of the Piranha, to include the EB-8 capacitance hat. The quality and craftsmanship are exceptional and, in my opinion, the BEST available for the amateur radio market. Charlie's customer service is beyond belief as he has gone "out of his way" to guide me on the proper care and installation of this wonderful antenna. I currently drive a 2008 Nissan Altima hy-brid vehical and wanted to mount this 11 lb antenna on the rear trunk. As most of you are aware, vehicles built today are mostly produced utilizing very thin metal and plastic in order to gain a few extra miles per gallon of gasoline. For the most part, these vehicles are not "HF antenna friendly" except for very light weight antennas, such as the Little Tarheel. To come to the point, Charlie resolved this dilemma by converting the base of the antenna to a larger diameter adapter (from 1/2" X 20 to screw on heady duty mount) in order to fit into the military mount (fold-over and quick-disconnect) used on Humvee type vehicles. He completed this task at no charge and assured me that I would have no issue with the antenna support that included a reinforced metal plate underneath the trunk itself. Not only does Charlie manufacture the best HF mobile antennas available for both the military and ham radio community, but his customer service is to be highly commended! Thank you Charlie for all that you do...

N5XTR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After I saw a friend unbox his Piranha, I was intrigued. After reading the installation manuals, specifications and performance documents, I knew I had to get one. I have been running this antenna for a few weeks and I am amazed. I am very fortunate to have an excellent platform for the antenna and it works flawlessly. If you are serious about having a great mobile station, this is THE antenna to have. You can hear me on 7195 mornings and evenings.

My purchasing experience with Charlie was more than awesome. He actually shipped the antenna before I paid for it. Of course this was probably a special circumstance but for that I give HI-Q two extra stars for a rating of 7.

NL7NP Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Only if you are serious.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the Hi-Q 4/80 and was convienced there was no other antenna on the market that could compair until a friend bought the new Hi-Q Piranha. As soon as I heard him on the air I new without a doubt Hi-Q had once again exceeded my expectation with the Piranha. This antenna is for serious preformance. I can make contacts with stations I could not hear before. If you have any doubts about the antenna,contact me on 7.195 Thursday-Monday and hear the antenna in real time mobile operation. (((73's))) NL7NP

K6JR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 08:35 Send this review to a friend
another great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Charlie has done it again. Another great mobile antenna for us Hams. I just purchased this new Piranha antenna from Hi-Q, as my first Hi-Q 4/160 is now 12 years old and yes it still works. Figured it is time for the latest and greatest from Hi-Q. What a great antenna at a great price. I highly recommend the Piranha as your next low band mobile antenna.