Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng UV-5R+
BaoFeng UV-5R+ Reviews: 63 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng UV-5R+.

KC7TKE Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got one of these and use it to access local 2 meter and 440 repeaters as well as a monitoring radio for public services. It programs a bit differently than what I am use to but once you get use to adding the transmit frequency to repeater channels it is a breeze. I only paid 29.95 for it and it is a great little radio for the price. I am thinking of getting a couple of more for any emergency that may arise in my area. I have not had any problems with this radio so far. Does exactly what they say it will.

KF5VQY Rating: 3/5 Dec 27, 2014 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing receive/transmit performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very low price, excellent battery life, solid build, feels good in the hand. I like the fact that you can access all of the buttons on the radio while it is sitting in the charger.

Sadly, it wasn't until I bought a few other HTs that I learned just how deaf this radio really is, on both bands. Compared to a UV-B5 or a Quansheng TG-UV2 or a Wouxun UV6D or UV8D, this radio is surprisingly hard-of-hearing - I have two identical UV5R+s and they're both equally deaf. The radios are a huge disappointment to me in that one single regard, and it would have surely been a deal breaker if I had known that before the purchase. And I'm not just referring to reception using the supplied rubber duck, I'm talking about an A/B comparison between all of my radios using a 17-foot high-gain vertical whip mounted 37 feet up at the base, fed with 1/2 inch Heliax.

I don't care what the specs or lab reviews say, the radio might have great receive sensitivity in the lab with no squelch dialed in, but who listens to their radio with the squelch turned off? I set the squelch to "1" on all of my radios and leave it there.

So one point deducted for being deaf.

The other major gripe I have is the lack of transmit audio punch - I'm sure I'd been testing the patience of everyone on the local repeater in the afternoons when I'd get on the air and chew the fat with everyone while driving home (I was running the UV5R+ thru a mag mount Tram 1180 in the car) - it wasn't until I bought a Wouxun that one guy finally said, "Man, I'm sure glad you finally got a radio that doesn't make me keep one hand on my volume knob, cuz I kept having to turn it up to hear you then turn it back down quick before anyone else keyed up and blew out my ears". I've tried several different mics and gotten the same disappointingly low audio with all of them. To be honest, transmit audio is very clean, just low.

So one point deducted for poor transmit audio volume.

I'm sure this radio is fine for lots of folks who don't need a sensitive receiver, but it's not much use to me.

Anyone wanna buy a couple of UV5R+s, I have two available - they work exactly as they did the day I bought 'em (I have chargers and spare batteries).

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2014 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Just fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had three of these rigs for almost six months. $32 from Amazon, no shipping. I program them both manually and with Chirp. Chirp is a breeze, manual is ok but not reallt intuitive. I sold my KW HT. If one of these breals I have a spare, the XYL has one and so far no issues with these guys. I've reprogrammed a number of them for guys in my club but told them last week they have to start learning how to do this on their own. As stated the programming cd is a good coaster, its not good for anything else. I am using the stock antennas now also although the one on my XYLs rig broke. I just swapped it with my spare and put one of the aftermarket antennas on the spare. I have a large battery and several stock batteries. The generiic batteries are fine. Battery life is superb. I also have a couple of speaker mikes but don't often use them. I recommended using the narrow setting for receive but it doesn't really seem to make any difference so I'm thinking it won't matter. One of the chargers didn't have a functioning led. I popped it open and there was a bad solder connection. Fixed that and its working fine niw. Overall, its a nice little ht and certainly beats spending hundred of dollars on an IKY ht. If you are looking for a basic duoband ht, this will fit the bill.

AF5QR Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2014 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Darn good for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are expecting a Rolls-Royce, don't buy a Volkswagen. But having said that, this radio isn't a Yugo, either. It's a very capable unit (with a limitations) that wont break the bank.

History: I purchased two of these units 6 months ago for $35/ea on Amazon. CHEAP! I figured if I used them more than twice, I'd be money ahead.

The Good: This is a tiny radio that stays out of the way. The battery life turned out to be very good, and the tx/rx audio quality is just short of excellent. You can splash several UV5Rs for the price of a single brand name talkie. Can be programmed for MURS if you want.

The Bad: The (free, included in the box) programming software sucks, as does the cable. Use CHIRP and a name-brand programming cable instead and save yourself the headache. Manual programming via the keypad is counter-intuitive. Watch the multitude of YouTube videos that address this issue, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Suggestion: ditch the factory antenna (you knew that already), and stick a Nagoya 771 on there. The factory antenna isn't really that bad, its just that a better antenna is all it takes to make this radio shine.

Overall, this is now my favorite goto/knockabout radio. You can do a lot worse and spend a lot more money, for less. If you want a cheap, tough and capable radio, the BaoFeng UV5R is a good choice.

W1CLD Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine arrived with everything working except actual RF output (antenna is fine, indicators show full power out and oscillator and tone work, but on a watt meter there's no real RF.) Lightinthepackage took care of me well (Amazon vendor) so that was good. Otherwise, build quality is good to excellent. It feels small and solid and navigating the menues is easy if you bother to write down a few notes. There are TONS of resources on the web, from downloads to videos to guide you through every step. It's an inexpensive way to get into ham radio, or something that you could lose accidently without terrible remorse. Charger and accessories are inexpensive but very functional. I'll alway keep my Icom to rely on in an emergency, but the UV-5R+ is a great day to day companion to have on hand.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2014 05:18 Send this review to a friend
9 Months later still working fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like I said 4+ manual still poor but there are sites with help.

Never used Chirp, never needed it. I managed with little difficulty to program it, least its no worse than the VX150 I have. I understand some winders machines running the latest update will bork the cable as it appears to look like the
FTDI (look that fiasco up). I use Linux it
works, I just don't need to use it.

The dual watch mode is very handy. Programming the VFO mode is straight forward.

Most importantly, still works as expected and the battery has done very well for operating time and overall life in contrast to other radios with battery packs I've had.

I still carry it every day as my main portable
and charge it maybe twice a month.

For the $35 it was good experiment and still meets the need.

9V1AN Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio for the price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A friend of mine bought me one of these radios and I used it for quite a bit. For a $35 radio, its performance is incredible.

Transmit and receive works great. Receiver is sensitive enough to pick up most signals and the audio is loud and clear. During testing, the radio output is 5 watts on VHF and 4 watts on UHF, as stated at Baofeng's website.

Also, I got to test the radio for spurious emissions. Contrary to other reports, the signal is actually quite clean, with levels around -60dBc of spurs.

Battery life is okay. For myself, I didn't have to charge the battery until a week and a half of use.

I haven't tried programming the radio, but I might do so once I get the cable.

For the kind of price, this radio is very handy to have. Of course, It can't do everything or neither can it hit repeaters thousands of miles away, but its pretty neat for the price you are paying.

I would recommend this radio to anyone who is looking for a cheap but usable radio.

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2014 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Its a $32 radio, what do you expect!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Every member of my radio club has at least one of these radios. I have three of them. They are just fine, they are not junk. They are fairly broad so you need to program them for Narrow on the receive side. For $32 you are not getting an IKY duoband rig but you are getting a working duo band rig that will be just fine to haul around in your pocket. If it breaks, buy another one, still much cheaper than any IKY radio. Learn to use the CHirp software, its free and much easier to program than manual programming. I've programmed a dozen or so of these little rigs and I find them to be a very cost effective radio for either your main ht or a backup. I have a KW 2m handheld that I seldom use anymore. I keep one of these by my easy chair, one in my shop and my XYL keeps the other one to stay in touch with me when I am out and about. Don't be afraid to spend a little bit of money on this rig, its cheaper than any other transceiver on the market and as I stated before, if it breaks, throw it away and buy another.

KB0IXM Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2014 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yeah the old adage is true. You get what you pay for. These radio's are junk.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far so good. What can you expect for a handie talkie that sells for less than $50? I didn't think very much. I am pleasantly surprised though. I opted for the 5R V2+ with the big battery. I also ordered the USB cable that Baofeng USA sells with it. Install went perfectly and programming with CHIRP is a piece of cake. I cannot find anything to complain about. Even hand programming is not really difficult. Great little radio and an unbelievable price.

I would add this: If you use Windows (whatever flavor) you really should spend some time mastering the use of COM ports - how to install, delete, configure and use them. It will make your life much easier.