Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng/Pofung UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng/Pofung UV-5R+
BaoFeng/Pofung UV-5R+ Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng/Pofung UV-5R+.

KD7AWG Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2016 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Good HT - Sloppy Assemby  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this HT because it was cheap and it was recommended by a local ham.

First, charge the battery (overnight will do) and reset the HT. Allow several charge-discharge cycles for the battery to reach its full storage.

Get the cable and software. I was given a “mongrel” programming cable that did the job. Links to drivers and software came from Miklor and CHIRP.

On your PC, use an account with administrator privileges, first install the driver and plug in the USB cable. After the driver has installed, check the Device Manager looking under ports, (COM and LPT). If you see a yellow triangle, disconnect the cable and uninstall the device. Plug the cable back in, if there is still a yellow triangle, unplug the cable and uninstall the device and its driver. If the software cannot see the HT, check the com port (mine was 3). I had to reinstall the drivers several times. Re-booting each time to get rid of the yellow warning. If you switch USB ports from the one you installed the drivers/CHIRP with, you may not be able to connect the HT to the PC.
Be sure the connection to the HT is good and all the way in. These are some of the problems with the cable and software I had with Windows 8.1.

The radio is a lot of fun. I tested the receiver on “A” Mountain, which is 2,900 HAAT. Got the weather broadcast from Northern Arizona with some fried eggs with the supplied antenna.

Next on to the base of Tumamoc Hill, the home of dozens commercial transmitters and PBS TV. I started scanning from 144MHz to 148MHz and 440MHz to 440MHz. Not one squelch break from intermod.

Xmit was good, too.

The CHIRP software loaded all the Pima County repeaters from an option. I did not check the accuracy of their entries. I also put my name and call on the “power up screen;” too cute!

Battery life is OK with the supplied battery. Make sure the HT seats firmly in the charger. Look for the red charging light.

Update:

I just bought my third Baufeng UV-5R+ about 2 weeks ago. I got the one with the 3800 MA/HR heavy duty battery in camo (I keep thinking about Rambo just looking at it). The “wall wart” charger is still the .5 amp @ 10 VDC model as the “stock” battery charger. It took overnight to initially charge the larger battery.

Now the fun part: the battery would not lock in place. I had to remove the upper back, unscrew and move the lanyard hook up towards the top of the HT to get the battery to lock in. Note: the star wrench size for this operation is not the same size as the bolts holding the escutcheon.

The belt clip arrived in THREE pieces. The bracket pivot pin from the clip is just held in place by the force of the spring. I put it back together and put a dab of Weldwood contact cement between the actual belt clip part of the bracket and each end of the pivot pin. The pin on the first HT I bought was loose in the bracket and I did the same with it.

There is a definite risk (IMHO) of the bracket falling apart and the HT falling off you belt. Use the glue before this happens.

I don’t expect “aircraft quality,” but this is just sloppy assembly and non-existent quality control. this detracts from the superior cost versus performance of this HT.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
They sound like crap .they take to long to program.
The rubber duckie antenna is junk .
And on and on
I now have 6 different boefengs and all of them sound TERRIFC and are easy to use
I also have a YAESU vx2 vx3 vx5 and a vx6 and none of the yeasus have nice clean clear crisp RX audio and XMIT as the boefengs I'll admit the take some time to program
For less than 30 bucks u can't beat the boefengs for performance ,and these "hams" who complain about then or anything else out here when most people give a product good grades don't even own a soldering gun or pencil

VE6ICE Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 18:30 Send this review to a friend
BaoFeng Rubber Duck is quite good   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have not used the Radio a whole lot yet, but the voice menu is pretty cool. Easy enough to program if you have a cable, which can be purchased on eBay for a few dollars.

I was however struck by the performance of the rubber-duck that comes with the unit.

For identification purposes, the unit under test is 6.5" long, from the top to the base of the RP-SMA Female termination, has a BAOFENG Logo molded into the side, with the B towards the base, and has a ring around the base labelled "FM/136-174/400-520MHz" which can be seen when viewed from the SMA end.

Test Results using an R&S ZVH8 Antenna tester and an N to SMA Male adapter.

VSWR = 1:1.8/1:1.8/1:1.8 @ 144/146/148MHz
VSWR = 1:1.3/1:1.1/1:1.8 @ 420/435/450MHz
VSWR = 1:3.6/1:15.1/1:2.4/1:6.1 @ 136/174/400/520MHz

VE6ICE Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 18:27 Send this review to a friend
BaoFeng Rubber Duck is quite good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

For identifications purposes, the unit under test is 6.5" long, from the top to the base of the RP-SMA Female termination, has a BAOFENG Logo molded into the side, with the B towards the base, and has a ring around the base labelled "FM/136-174/400-520MHz" which can be seen when viewed from the SMA end.

Test Results using an R&S ZVH8 Antenna tester and an N to SMA Male adapter.

VSWR = 1:1.8/1:1.8/1:1.8 @ 144/146/148MHz
VSWR = 1:1.3/1:1.1/1:1.8 @ 42/435/450MHz
VSWR = 1:3.6/1:15.1/1:2.4/1:6.1 @ 136/174/400/520MHz

KJ6ETR Rating: 3/5 Aug 30, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Power Output Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the yellow version of this radio. Should have read the reviews. Nearly every review had issues with the non-black versions. Mine only transmits at low power. I thought I had programming issues, but experimentation showed it is transmitting at low power on both hi and lo power settings. Last weekend worked with the neighboring ARES team in an exercise and was issued a black UV5R. Worked like a champ. For $35 I'll try a black one. Looking at the new tri-band version.

AH7I Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2016 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat performance/price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My last 2m activity was 30 years ago with an Icom 2AT. I wanted something for listening/checking into the local nets without spending $200 on a new radio. I sold the old 2AT because it does not have tones and I did not want to mess with installing a tone board.

I found.
Used UV5R with 3800mAH battery: $20
Programming cable(aftermarket): $2.23
AA battery pack(aftermarket): $2.01

It's easy to program with CHIRP.
The battery lasts for days.
Inexpensive AA pack for backup if I can't find a charger.
2m seems to work as well as my old IC2AT. I have not tried it on UHF yet.
Audio is good and loud.
I am less than 1/2 mile and line of sight of 50kW ERP FM BCB antenna and it is not a problem.

$25 well spent.

KB3WGE Rating: 1/5 Aug 27, 2016 10:31 Send this review to a friend
BAD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used a friends once...in my opinion the radio sounded like crap...I'll take a Icom or Yaesu anyday respectfully submitted KB3WGE a.k.a."SPARKS" p.s. 73's ALL Jimi !!!!!!!!

K2IZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2016 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Public Service Events  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these HT's, I also have a Tri-Band that cost me over $300, our club and other clubs in the area do quite a lot of Public Service Events, one of them is a 6 mile cross bay swim, one operator in each boat.
I am very reluctant to use the $300 plus radio in this event, if by accident I drop it over the side I am going in after it, if the UV-5X+ goes in, well I'm only out $30 and I have a spare, along with a couple of extra chargers.
Yes programming it by hand is terrible but people have published crib sheets to do it in a few easy steps, I carry one of those in my go kit, I pre-program the radio before an event but if I have to change something quickly the crib sheet is excellent.
You have to watch what type of cable you use, prolific chips are out, FTDI is the type needed, I just ordered one from BTECH/Baofeng and they point you right to the CHIRP website for programming software.
As everyone says, the stock antenna is terrible, I'm using a Nagoya NA-701 and a NA-771 with very good results.
I consider these radios to be great for new hams, something cheap in price rather than spending a couple of hundred dollars and then find out they don't like that radio.

KD7AWG Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2016 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this HT because it was cheap and it was recommended by a local ham.

Xmit was good, too.

G4REK Rating: 1/5 Apr 12, 2016 09:15 Send this review to a friend
RUBBISH  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Cannot understand why there are no references to the appalling receive performance of this set
they are truly dreadful.....the worst i have come across in our service department...
you do not need expensive test gear to work that out either
jim g4rek