Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng UV-5R+
BaoFeng UV-5R+ Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng UV-5R+.

9V1AN Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio for the price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A friend of mine bought me one of these radios and I used it for quite a bit. For a $35 radio, its performance is incredible.

Transmit and receive works great. Receiver is sensitive enough to pick up most signals and the audio is loud and clear. During testing, the radio output is 5 watts on VHF and 4 watts on UHF, as stated at Baofeng's website.

Also, I got to test the radio for spurious emissions. Contrary to other reports, the signal is actually quite clean, with levels around -60dBc of spurs.

Battery life is okay. For myself, I didn't have to charge the battery until a week and a half of use.

I haven't tried programming the radio, but I might do so once I get the cable.

For the kind of price, this radio is very handy to have. Of course, It can't do everything or neither can it hit repeaters thousands of miles away, but its pretty neat for the price you are paying.

I would recommend this radio to anyone who is looking for a cheap but usable radio.

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2014 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Its a $32 radio, what do you expect!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Every member of my radio club has at least one of these radios. I have three of them. They are just fine, they are not junk. They are fairly broad so you need to program them for Narrow on the receive side. For $32 you are not getting an IKY duoband rig but you are getting a working duo band rig that will be just fine to haul around in your pocket. If it breaks, buy another one, still much cheaper than any IKY radio. Learn to use the CHirp software, its free and much easier to program than manual programming. I've programmed a dozen or so of these little rigs and I find them to be a very cost effective radio for either your main ht or a backup. I have a KW 2m handheld that I seldom use anymore. I keep one of these by my easy chair, one in my shop and my XYL keeps the other one to stay in touch with me when I am out and about. Don't be afraid to spend a little bit of money on this rig, its cheaper than any other transceiver on the market and as I stated before, if it breaks, throw it away and buy another.

KB0IXM Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2014 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yeah the old adage is true. You get what you pay for. These radio's are junk.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far so good. What can you expect for a handie talkie that sells for less than $50? I didn't think very much. I am pleasantly surprised though. I opted for the 5R V2+ with the big battery. I also ordered the USB cable that Baofeng USA sells with it. Install went perfectly and programming with CHIRP is a piece of cake. I cannot find anything to complain about. Even hand programming is not really difficult. Great little radio and an unbelievable price.

I would add this: If you use Windows (whatever flavor) you really should spend some time mastering the use of COM ports - how to install, delete, configure and use them. It will make your life much easier.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Did not want to play with all the driver issues that I read about. I have my old Kenwood programming cable. It is RS232.
Hooked it up to CHIRP, and copied the programming info from another radio into the BaoFeng...Worked great!
I fear the only problem with these radios is that selling them on Amazon will likely lead to a lot LOT more jamming and CB-like goings ons on the VHF UHF FM ham bands!!!

W8IFI Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2014 20:56 Send this review to a friend
versatile - quite good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being elderly and not much of a computer geek I struggled trying to get the proper programming cable. After several different cables I couldn't find one that worked. Then I read that the latest driver wouldn't work but an earlier version (3.20) was what it needed. So I changed drivers and then it all went pretty well. A simple note by Baofeng with the original purchase saying which driver it required would have saved me hours of correspondence,returns, and frustration. I had difficulty explaining to Baofeng it wasn't the radio that was the problem. I don't think they ever did understand my replies.

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Incredible buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this radio from Amazon on Sunday, it arrived today, Tuesday. $39 free shipping. I also bought the programming cable and a speaker mike. The audio seems better through the speaker mike but the ht internal speaker is fine. I downloaded CHIRP and used it to program about 25 repeaters, 10 WX alert channels and several of my local police and fire freaks. I also spent some time teaching myself to program the ht manually in case I'm out and about and need to input a new freq. I'm so impressed with this little guy that I ordered another for my wife tonight. If we break one, we will just toss it and buy another new one.
This thing has an alarm and flashlight which is really Mickey Mouse but I guesses someone might find this useful. Lots of places to transmit and get in trouble so be sure to program the null split on those freqs outside the ham bands. That way you won't inadvertently transmit on the local pd freq!
This little guy will put a big dent in the IKY ht market.

VE3PTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 20:11 Send this review to a friend
excellent for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i cant comment on longevity of this little dual bander, but im told that they do last !
programming. i read the menu part in the manual, and had it programmed manually about 30 mins after unboxing. really, you only need to access 5 items in the menu to program it. i cant understand all the fuss about it being "impossible" to manually program it.
its simple. just read the menu system, and understand the layout.
ok. i dumped the antenna that came with it, as its really only good for very short range qso. i found that on hi power setting, after about 10 mins, the bottom part of the antenna got really hot.
im sure there is a mismatch or something going on in there.
i ordered a nagoya antenna, and the results are way much better. also, the speaker mike which works very well.
overall, im very impressed with this dual band handheld, that is quite sensitive, and has good tx audio. the rx audio is a little "thin", no doubt due to the extremely small speaker fitted, but its communication quality.
btw. i got my radio from amazon online for $28.
you cant beat that with a stick !
if it blows up in a couple months, i will just order another!
for the price, its amazing value for money.

KG7GAF Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unboxed the radio today- aesthetically pleasing, small, and seemingly well built. I easily programmed the local repeaters and a few other freqs without any issues (found a YouTube video). I easily hit a repeater about 20+ miles away for a net call in) but on that note, the mountains are well within line of site. I could still respond from within the house.

I gave it a 4 because the manual is not great and I had to use an alternate source.

WA4PDM Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 21:48 Send this review to a friend
An Interesting and Successful "Experiment"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this unit to experiment with. Didn't expect much at this price point. I'm retired and always looking for something challenging to work on. Interested mostly in computer interfacing.
I found that:
The Windows 7 Laptop interfaced with mfg. cable and my laptop...
No issues or challenges. Upload and download a breeze. List of local station available on "Chirp" software. Too easy!
The OSX Mavericks programming was an interesting challenge. The Phython software had to be added first. Then the hunt for a driver for my two year old iMac 27inch. Fortunately my son is a computer engineer and immediately found the page I missed after several hours. It is:
www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41&showlevel=0041-0041
From there go to the bottom and load the PL2303 driver. They even have one for Windows. If you are running Windows 7 on an iMac BootCamp partition, you will need that one. After that no problems. Now to find a software program for my FTM-400D. Anyone know of one?
UV-5RE+ has to be the bargain of a lifetime. No trouble with PL or DPL tones in programming.
All you need to get is a programming cable, and gain antenna and you are in business.
If you are so inclined you can manually program this unit which is no worse than MOST handhelds today, in other words, two Excedrin country! Oh yes, use the BaoFeng brand cable, I noted problems with other brands posted! 73s