Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng UV-5R+
BaoFeng UV-5R+ Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng UV-5R+.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far so good. What can you expect for a handie talkie that sells for less than $50? I didn't think very much. I am pleasantly surprised though. I opted for the 5R V2+ with the big battery. I also ordered the USB cable that Baofeng USA sells with it. Install went perfectly and programming with CHIRP is a piece of cake. I cannot find anything to complain about. Even hand programming is not really difficult. Great little radio and an unbelievable price.

I would add this: If you use Windows (whatever flavor) you really should spend some time mastering the use of COM ports - how to install, delete, configure and use them. It will make your life much easier.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Did not want to play with all the driver issues that I read about. I have my old Kenwood programming cable. It is RS232.
Hooked it up to CHIRP, and copied the programming info from another radio into the BaoFeng...Worked great!
I fear the only problem with these radios is that selling them on Amazon will likely lead to a lot LOT more jamming and CB-like goings ons on the VHF UHF FM ham bands!!!

W8IFI Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2014 20:56 Send this review to a friend
versatile - quite good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being elderly and not much of a computer geek I struggled trying to get the proper programming cable. After several different cables I couldn't find one that worked. Then I read that the latest driver wouldn't work but an earlier version (3.20) was what it needed. So I changed drivers and then it all went pretty well. A simple note by Baofeng with the original purchase saying which driver it required would have saved me hours of correspondence,returns, and frustration. I had difficulty explaining to Baofeng it wasn't the radio that was the problem. I don't think they ever did understand my replies.

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Incredible buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this radio from Amazon on Sunday, it arrived today, Tuesday. $39 free shipping. I also bought the programming cable and a speaker mike. The audio seems better through the speaker mike but the ht internal speaker is fine. I downloaded CHIRP and used it to program about 25 repeaters, 10 WX alert channels and several of my local police and fire freaks. I also spent some time teaching myself to program the ht manually in case I'm out and about and need to input a new freq. I'm so impressed with this little guy that I ordered another for my wife tonight. If we break one, we will just toss it and buy another new one.
This thing has an alarm and flashlight which is really Mickey Mouse but I guesses someone might find this useful. Lots of places to transmit and get in trouble so be sure to program the null split on those freqs outside the ham bands. That way you won't inadvertently transmit on the local pd freq!
This little guy will put a big dent in the IKY ht market.

VE3PTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 20:11 Send this review to a friend
excellent for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i cant comment on longevity of this little dual bander, but im told that they do last !
programming. i read the menu part in the manual, and had it programmed manually about 30 mins after unboxing. really, you only need to access 5 items in the menu to program it. i cant understand all the fuss about it being "impossible" to manually program it.
its simple. just read the menu system, and understand the layout.
ok. i dumped the antenna that came with it, as its really only good for very short range qso. i found that on hi power setting, after about 10 mins, the bottom part of the antenna got really hot.
im sure there is a mismatch or something going on in there.
i ordered a nagoya antenna, and the results are way much better. also, the speaker mike which works very well.
overall, im very impressed with this dual band handheld, that is quite sensitive, and has good tx audio. the rx audio is a little "thin", no doubt due to the extremely small speaker fitted, but its communication quality.
btw. i got my radio from amazon online for $28.
you cant beat that with a stick !
if it blows up in a couple months, i will just order another!
for the price, its amazing value for money.

KG7GAF Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unboxed the radio today- aesthetically pleasing, small, and seemingly well built. I easily programmed the local repeaters and a few other freqs without any issues (found a YouTube video). I easily hit a repeater about 20+ miles away for a net call in) but on that note, the mountains are well within line of site. I could still respond from within the house.

I gave it a 4 because the manual is not great and I had to use an alternate source.

WA4PDM Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 21:48 Send this review to a friend
An Interesting and Successful "Experiment"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this unit to experiment with. Didn't expect much at this price point. I'm retired and always looking for something challenging to work on. Interested mostly in computer interfacing.
I found that:
The Windows 7 Laptop interfaced with mfg. cable and my laptop...
No issues or challenges. Upload and download a breeze. List of local station available on "Chirp" software. Too easy!
The OSX Mavericks programming was an interesting challenge. The Phython software had to be added first. Then the hunt for a driver for my two year old iMac 27inch. Fortunately my son is a computer engineer and immediately found the page I missed after several hours. It is:
www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41&showlevel=0041-0041
From there go to the bottom and load the PL2303 driver. They even have one for Windows. If you are running Windows 7 on an iMac BootCamp partition, you will need that one. After that no problems. Now to find a software program for my FTM-400D. Anyone know of one?
UV-5RE+ has to be the bargain of a lifetime. No trouble with PL or DPL tones in programming.
All you need to get is a programming cable, and gain antenna and you are in business.
If you are so inclined you can manually program this unit which is no worse than MOST handhelds today, in other words, two Excedrin country! Oh yes, use the BaoFeng brand cable, I noted problems with other brands posted! 73s

K9RJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2013 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Get the right programming cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to my previous review. I purchased a programming cable that seemed to be recommended for this radio. The cable cost about $4 and was very annoying. After downloading a 2007 vintage driver it worked long enough to do the initial programming. On the second use it put the radio into transmit as soon as it was plugged on. I have since had the opportunity to use a Baofeng labeled cable and it works well with CHIRP software. The radio works well although the S meter seems to be full scale for every readable signal even if it is weak. Wide bands a plus, too bad aviation (AM) frequencies are not included. Latest versions cover up to 520Mhz.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good, inexpensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine for about a month. Bought it through Amazon for about 35$!

My rating is 4+ as 5 is perfect and the manual
needs help. As a Non-D-star or other exotic
radio it does what it has to and acceptably well.

Manual gets a 2.5 for being poorly organized but
functionally complete. Requires careful reading.
Also there are online cheatsheets that do make
the programming simpler. With a cheat sheet
and a bit of patience the VFO mode is easy.

Radio itself, for the price its near impossible
to beat. It does everything I ask of a dual band
4-5W HT and has a few features not currently
needed. the wide band tuning is not a feature
for me so it is unimportant.

When it comes to programming I read the manual
for about 10 minutes and got two repeaters (U
and V) up and running without pain once I
understood their "syntax". Memory programming
was easy from there. Compared to my fragile
VX150 (blows finals in a heartbeat) its about
as easy to program, just different. Despite
generally hating menu based radios the user
interface is not that bad. I was able to use
it within minutes it would have been sooner
but I put it in the charging stand while
reading. I'd add the voice feedback was helpful.

Note: the charging stand has been very handy and
the LION battery has been able to easily provide
a full days monitoring (9hours) and still run a
QSO at full power for 20 minutes with plenty left.

On the air I get good reports on audio and it
works as expected. That and the light has proven
handy! Testing on the bench found that mine in
the ham bands was better than the published specs
for power and receive sensitivity. The rubber duck
antenna is better than then those supplied with
my RS HTX245 or the VX150 though I use a aftermarket
15inch dual band antenna for better results. All
of the duck antennas are handy being short but
are a significant compromise.

I tried CHIRP as I'm linux based and it was easy
though nothing fancy. One comment on CHIRP is
for free it does the job. I found it was mostly
not needed. Bought the USB cord and it worked
fine.

External mic as identical connector with my
HTX245s and works well on them and the the UV5R+.

Its already taken a bounce on a carpeted floor
at work (carpet over concrete) with no ill effects
or having the battery pop off like a few Icom radios I've used.

I have no idea it if will hold up as well as the
pair of RS HTX245s I've had since 2001 at 1/3 the
price paid for them it has already proven more
reliable than the VX150. It does feel solid enough.

Allison

KJ6EFY Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio at all for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok so I needed a new HT to get back on the air. I was looking around on Amazon kind of shocked they had a Ham Radio section. I found the Baofeng UV-5R Plus on there for $ 45.00 and it said it shipped directly out of their warehouse. That sealed the deal for me and I took a gamble on it.

I also bought a Nagoya 771 antenna to go with it and pushed the price to about $60 total. So far I have to say I am impressed it was actually a smaller radio than what the pictures looked like but I just love the look of the new design. The audio is great and I have had full quieting reports with it both from the radio itself and using the included earpiece mic. The audio from the earpiece mic is fantastic too.

The battery has lasted me all day and into the night with me on it constantly and it still is not begging to be charged. To me this radio just feels well built. Maybe not built like a Yaesu VX 7R but for the price I think it far exceeds it in build quality.

I will say yes the programming is complicated but after watching a couple You Tube videos and reading the manual I have programmed 21 repeaters by hand in one day. I also am not fond of the 4 plastic bumps that slightly stick out from the bottom most likely to support the radio on a table. They tend to make it a little bit uncomfortable holding the radio for a long time. The reason I have not deducted a star for those two reasons is at $ 45.00 I think it is still a steal of deal.