Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng UV-5R+
BaoFeng UV-5R+ Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng UV-5R+.

IZ5RAQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2013 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this great little radio! I always carry it with me at work and during leisure time. In the car I installed a small antenna with magnetic base and with only 5 w radio repeaters are also able to connect to 100 km away. the radio is very easy to program and has all the features you really need in everyday use and intensive. 73 de IZ5RAQ

K2TJO Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed since 1977, and have owned and depended on HTs from the big 3 for daily and emergency use for many years, and I am absolutely amazed at this radios function and quality. Programming manually is easier than the programming for my Icom or Yaesu HTs, audio reports on this rig have been nothing but excellent using the HTs built-in mic as well as the supplied earphone mic. This unit is reliable, easy on batteries, and I am happy to rely on it in daily use, where it outlasts and outperforms my trusty Ft60 which has been my public service handie for many years. We have thoroughly tested this rig and found it performs well beyond the published specs. I have added the Baofeng hand mic for mobile use, and purchased a backup battery, though I have never actually exhausted a battery even with a day of net activity and extended ragchewing while working on my antennas.

I advise you not to let other reviewers' comments keep you from trying this little HT. At $38 (shipped) from Amazon, this would have been a great paperweight, though it has become my daily use radio where it is taking the rigors of duty as well as any I have ever used.

KD9VV Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2013 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Graet Considering the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up one of the UV5R+ at a hamfest yesterday. I gave it a "good" rating only because of the clumsy programming.

In any review, price has to play into any summations, good, bad or indifferent.

Given the cost of this dual bander, I find it to be a outstanding radio. Yes; programming it by hand takes a little of your time though it is truly not that difficult. There is a plethora of info on the internet to aid one in programming and answer any questions. I didn't purchase the programming cable at 10 bucks as I have no need for it.

Sure, some of the functions require the computer to program, but not anything I require.

I find the rcv audio more than adequate.
The TX audio is either a little low in diviation or high freq is cut off a bit though still not a real ussue. Selectivity is not all that hot so intermod could be a problem in high RF areas.

I did purchase the MFJ dual band stick as the included one leaves a lot to be desired.

It appears well made with no defects cosmetically.

I've owned expensive HT's from the big (3) which while they do have more options can't hold a candle to this rig when condidering price.

Try to buy a dual bander for 60-70 bucks from Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu.

If this little rig lasts a year or two, I'd be more than thrilled.

MM0JMI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm puzzled by the occasional criticisms here. Programming is easy (manually or CHIRP-on-GNU/Linux), quality is excellent, I have communicated clearly over 150+ mile SOTA summit-to-summit contacts with a dipole {this is my standard SOTA radio}, and through my local repeater with the supplied rubber duck (what do you *expect* of a little rubber duck?? Be reasonable! Short antennae are never good at any wavelengths. A good compromise antenna is the Watson telescopic with a SOTAbeams 'dangly counterpoise': that gives me reliable communication with a repeater 40-miles away). The great thing about this radio is price: cheap enough for young starting hams, and not a crisis if it gets dropped/ dunked out in the mountains. Congratulations, Baofeng!

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2013 00:24 Send this review to a friend
Good, but..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this on Amazon with $45. Also, I bought a programming cable. The HT looks pretty, and seems to have great functions. But when I try to program the radio with the cable, i found the software cannot work. I reset the radio and do many times but still got no result. Finally I download another software on www.radioddity.com/downloads, and the radio can be programmed. Hurray!
All in all, the little radio is bang for the buck.

N9VIW Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife purchased this radio for my birthday, knowing nothing more than it was an amateur radio. She didn't even know what freqs it had! (Heck, for that matter, neither did I, as it came totally uncharged, and a thorough digging in the nearly-useless manual showed it in ONE location). She bought it purely on reviews alone.

I fired it up for the first time last night, and in spite of the cheesy rubber duck, I hit N0RFI in Ava, MO, about 15 miles south of my QTH. This afternoon on my way home from work, I hit the repeater from 20+ miles, and made a contact who assured me the sound was phenomenal... except when under trees. Bear in mind, still using the rubber duck antenna, from INSIDE a moving car, under trees...

When I got home, I stepped out of the car, and he said it sounded like I'd kicked on an amplifier! With clear air, it was 5x5, full quiet. I was quite pleased, and he was quite impressed!

Other rigs: Yaesu FT209R, Kenwood TR7850. This one will more than keep up with the HT duties!

N5LXI Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not a big made-in-China fan. However, the UV-5R Plus seems to be pretty solid. I have owned a lot of HT's over the years. I found it easy to program manually, easier than my other HT's. The menu system is easy. The open source Chirp software is GREAT! The USB cable worked fine - everything seems to be working. I like the lit LCD and keypad. The "reversed sex" antenna connection is somewhat weird. It's pretty cool little radio at any price. 73, joel

VE1GAT Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 09:21 Send this review to a friend
great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've found the UV-5RA+ is more sensitive than the UV-5R.

Unit is tough, it survived a long tumble onto bumpy pavement at 80km/hr.

Things to note:
Program it manually from SLOT A
Setup your step.
Save both your RX & TX frequencies.
Switch RX screen colour to Orange and TX to blue.
Switch ALARM to CODE
Replace that antenna.
Only use properly tuned antennas.

under linux use CHIRP and run sudo chirpw

The unit can be setup under CHIRP to GMRS MURS only by setting your channels and setting VHF and UHF limits to a way out of band number like 1-2 MHZ, then the user will be unable to scan or TX in frequency mode.

cons:
antenna, but it is what it is

WA7KGX Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2013 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Not that bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was able to get a "BNC Female to SMA Female" adapter RFA-8381P for $2.95 at Fry's.

Connected to my station antenna, a 6-8 foot 144/440 colinear, the Baofeng was able to hear the Goat Mountain repeater clearly. Apparently the antenna acts as a bandpass filter for 2 and 440, favoring 2 meters over TV and FM cross mod.

Still no luck getting the Baofeng programming cable to work with Win 7. But CHIRP runs fine on Linux. Linux is free. Let them run Linux.

W7LPN Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For saving Channels- in Freq Mod VFO set listening freq, offset 0.600/05.000, Shift +/-, t-ctcss, wide, then save to an empty channel. Now you must in VFE Freq Mod set offset Freq, & save again on top of the previous channel number, without changing anything. You won't find this in the book. Only other issue I've had is getting the software to cooperate with Win 7. I cannot download it. I keep getting missing strongvault.msi file....? Contacts have reported Full quieting into a repeater above me @ Bogus Basin Ski Resort. With an extended rubber ducky antenna I can reach Cinnabar repeater 50+ miles with some scratch on the Tx.