Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng UV-5R+ Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng UV-5R+
BaoFeng UV-5R+ Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng UV-5R+.

WA4PDM Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 21:48 Send this review to a friend
An Interesting and Successful "Experiment"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this unit to experiment with. Didn't expect much at this price point. I'm retired and always looking for something challenging to work on. Interested mostly in computer interfacing.
I found that:
The Windows 7 Laptop interfaced with mfg. cable and my laptop...
No issues or challenges. Upload and download a breeze. List of local station available on "Chirp" software. Too easy!
The OSX Mavericks programming was an interesting challenge. The Phython software had to be added first. Then the hunt for a driver for my two year old iMac 27inch. Fortunately my son is a computer engineer and immediately found the page I missed after several hours. It is:
www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41&showlevel=0041-0041
From there go to the bottom and load the PL2303 driver. They even have one for Windows. If you are running Windows 7 on an iMac BootCamp partition, you will need that one. After that no problems. Now to find a software program for my FTM-400D. Anyone know of one?
UV-5RE+ has to be the bargain of a lifetime. No trouble with PL or DPL tones in programming.
All you need to get is a programming cable, and gain antenna and you are in business.
If you are so inclined you can manually program this unit which is no worse than MOST handhelds today, in other words, two Excedrin country! Oh yes, use the BaoFeng brand cable, I noted problems with other brands posted! 73s

K9RJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2013 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Get the right programming cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to my previous review. I purchased a programming cable that seemed to be recommended for this radio. The cable cost about $4 and was very annoying. After downloading a 2007 vintage driver it worked long enough to do the initial programming. On the second use it put the radio into transmit as soon as it was plugged on. I have since had the opportunity to use a Baofeng labeled cable and it works well with CHIRP software. The radio works well although the S meter seems to be full scale for every readable signal even if it is weak. Wide bands a plus, too bad aviation (AM) frequencies are not included. Latest versions cover up to 520Mhz.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good, inexpensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine for about a month. Bought it through Amazon for about 35$!

My rating is 4+ as 5 is perfect and the manual
needs help. As a Non-D-star or other exotic
radio it does what it has to and acceptably well.

Manual gets a 2.5 for being poorly organized but
functionally complete. Requires careful reading.
Also there are online cheatsheets that do make
the programming simpler. With a cheat sheet
and a bit of patience the VFO mode is easy.

Radio itself, for the price its near impossible
to beat. It does everything I ask of a dual band
4-5W HT and has a few features not currently
needed. the wide band tuning is not a feature
for me so it is unimportant.

When it comes to programming I read the manual
for about 10 minutes and got two repeaters (U
and V) up and running without pain once I
understood their "syntax". Memory programming
was easy from there. Compared to my fragile
VX150 (blows finals in a heartbeat) its about
as easy to program, just different. Despite
generally hating menu based radios the user
interface is not that bad. I was able to use
it within minutes it would have been sooner
but I put it in the charging stand while
reading. I'd add the voice feedback was helpful.

Note: the charging stand has been very handy and
the LION battery has been able to easily provide
a full days monitoring (9hours) and still run a
QSO at full power for 20 minutes with plenty left.

On the air I get good reports on audio and it
works as expected. That and the light has proven
handy! Testing on the bench found that mine in
the ham bands was better than the published specs
for power and receive sensitivity. The rubber duck
antenna is better than then those supplied with
my RS HTX245 or the VX150 though I use a aftermarket
15inch dual band antenna for better results. All
of the duck antennas are handy being short but
are a significant compromise.

I tried CHIRP as I'm linux based and it was easy
though nothing fancy. One comment on CHIRP is
for free it does the job. I found it was mostly
not needed. Bought the USB cord and it worked
fine.

External mic as identical connector with my
HTX245s and works well on them and the the UV5R+.

Its already taken a bounce on a carpeted floor
at work (carpet over concrete) with no ill effects
or having the battery pop off like a few Icom radios I've used.

I have no idea it if will hold up as well as the
pair of RS HTX245s I've had since 2001 at 1/3 the
price paid for them it has already proven more
reliable than the VX150. It does feel solid enough.

Allison

KJ6EFY Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio at all for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok so I needed a new HT to get back on the air. I was looking around on Amazon kind of shocked they had a Ham Radio section. I found the Baofeng UV-5R Plus on there for $ 45.00 and it said it shipped directly out of their warehouse. That sealed the deal for me and I took a gamble on it.

I also bought a Nagoya 771 antenna to go with it and pushed the price to about $60 total. So far I have to say I am impressed it was actually a smaller radio than what the pictures looked like but I just love the look of the new design. The audio is great and I have had full quieting reports with it both from the radio itself and using the included earpiece mic. The audio from the earpiece mic is fantastic too.

The battery has lasted me all day and into the night with me on it constantly and it still is not begging to be charged. To me this radio just feels well built. Maybe not built like a Yaesu VX 7R but for the price I think it far exceeds it in build quality.

I will say yes the programming is complicated but after watching a couple You Tube videos and reading the manual I have programmed 21 repeaters by hand in one day. I also am not fond of the 4 plastic bumps that slightly stick out from the bottom most likely to support the radio on a table. They tend to make it a little bit uncomfortable holding the radio for a long time. The reason I have not deducted a star for those two reasons is at $ 45.00 I think it is still a steal of deal.

IZ5RAQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2013 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this great little radio! I always carry it with me at work and during leisure time. In the car I installed a small antenna with magnetic base and with only 5 w radio repeaters are also able to connect to 100 km away. the radio is very easy to program and has all the features you really need in everyday use and intensive. 73 de IZ5RAQ

K2TJO Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed since 1977, and have owned and depended on HTs from the big 3 for daily and emergency use for many years, and I am absolutely amazed at this radios function and quality. Programming manually is easier than the programming for my Icom or Yaesu HTs, audio reports on this rig have been nothing but excellent using the HTs built-in mic as well as the supplied earphone mic. This unit is reliable, easy on batteries, and I am happy to rely on it in daily use, where it outlasts and outperforms my trusty Ft60 which has been my public service handie for many years. We have thoroughly tested this rig and found it performs well beyond the published specs. I have added the Baofeng hand mic for mobile use, and purchased a backup battery, though I have never actually exhausted a battery even with a day of net activity and extended ragchewing while working on my antennas.

I advise you not to let other reviewers' comments keep you from trying this little HT. At $38 (shipped) from Amazon, this would have been a great paperweight, though it has become my daily use radio where it is taking the rigors of duty as well as any I have ever used.

KD9VV Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2013 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Graet Considering the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up one of the UV5R+ at a hamfest yesterday. I gave it a "good" rating only because of the clumsy programming.

In any review, price has to play into any summations, good, bad or indifferent.

Given the cost of this dual bander, I find it to be a outstanding radio. Yes; programming it by hand takes a little of your time though it is truly not that difficult. There is a plethora of info on the internet to aid one in programming and answer any questions. I didn't purchase the programming cable at 10 bucks as I have no need for it.

Sure, some of the functions require the computer to program, but not anything I require.

I find the rcv audio more than adequate.
The TX audio is either a little low in diviation or high freq is cut off a bit though still not a real ussue. Selectivity is not all that hot so intermod could be a problem in high RF areas.

I did purchase the MFJ dual band stick as the included one leaves a lot to be desired.

It appears well made with no defects cosmetically.

I've owned expensive HT's from the big (3) which while they do have more options can't hold a candle to this rig when condidering price.

Try to buy a dual bander for 60-70 bucks from Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu.

If this little rig lasts a year or two, I'd be more than thrilled.

MM0JMI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm puzzled by the occasional criticisms here. Programming is easy (manually or CHIRP-on-GNU/Linux), quality is excellent, I have communicated clearly over 150+ mile SOTA summit-to-summit contacts with a dipole {this is my standard SOTA radio}, and through my local repeater with the supplied rubber duck (what do you *expect* of a little rubber duck?? Be reasonable! Short antennae are never good at any wavelengths. A good compromise antenna is the Watson telescopic with a SOTAbeams 'dangly counterpoise': that gives me reliable communication with a repeater 40-miles away). The great thing about this radio is price: cheap enough for young starting hams, and not a crisis if it gets dropped/ dunked out in the mountains. Congratulations, Baofeng!

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2013 00:24 Send this review to a friend
Good, but..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this on Amazon with $45. Also, I bought a programming cable. The HT looks pretty, and seems to have great functions. But when I try to program the radio with the cable, i found the software cannot work. I reset the radio and do many times but still got no result. Finally I download another software on www.radioddity.com/downloads, and the radio can be programmed. Hurray!
All in all, the little radio is bang for the buck.

N9VIW Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife purchased this radio for my birthday, knowing nothing more than it was an amateur radio. She didn't even know what freqs it had! (Heck, for that matter, neither did I, as it came totally uncharged, and a thorough digging in the nearly-useless manual showed it in ONE location). She bought it purely on reviews alone.

I fired it up for the first time last night, and in spite of the cheesy rubber duck, I hit N0RFI in Ava, MO, about 15 miles south of my QTH. This afternoon on my way home from work, I hit the repeater from 20+ miles, and made a contact who assured me the sound was phenomenal... except when under trees. Bear in mind, still using the rubber duck antenna, from INSIDE a moving car, under trees...

When I got home, I stepped out of the car, and he said it sounded like I'd kicked on an amplifier! With clear air, it was 5x5, full quiet. I was quite pleased, and he was quite impressed!

Other rigs: Yaesu FT209R, Kenwood TR7850. This one will more than keep up with the HT duties!