Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Ten-Tec 717 Microphone Equalizer/Audio Interface Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 717 Microphone Equalizer/Audio Interface
Ten-Tec 717 Microphone Equalizer/Audio Interface Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $119.00
Description: The Model 717 Microphone Equalizer / Audio Interface provides a convenient
means of shaping your transmit audio as well as interfacing your radio to line
level signals and external PTT switch, such as a footswitch. This device was
designed so that older TEN-TEC transceivers and many other older
transceivers could be used or modified to be used with the newer style
Dynamic microphones on the market today.
More info: http://www.tentec.com/products/MODEL-717--MICROPHONE-EQUALIZER--%252d--AUDIO-INTERFACE.html

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 717 Microphone Equalizer/Audio Interface.

WB1AAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2012 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Broadcast Quality Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a TenTec 717 mic preamp/EQ to replace my aging and tired Heathkit HD-1986 Microlizer. The Microlizer did a nice job, but it ran through 9-volt batteries rather quickly and offered no significant mic gain--just equalization.

Judging from the schematic, the 717 draws its heritage from the Heathkit Microlizer. The audio circuits have been updated, it operates from 12-volts (power supply included) and offers 27 db of audio gain--more than sufficient for low level dynamic microphones.

The 717 arrived in the mail this morning. I took it out of the box and connected it to my Kenwood TS-430S. I made up an 8-pin mic cable to attach the Kenwood MC-50 microphone to the 717. I put the TS-430S on the dummy load and adjusted the audio levels on the rig and the 717 so that the ALC seemed to be registering properly. I then added just a bit of bass of treble boost--not a lot just a notch or two.

I switched back to the 40-meter dipole and started tuning around. I heard a station who was kindly helping another ham with his audio. I waited for them to finish and then gave him a call. He is located in Kentucky, fairly close to me, so we had a decent ground wave connection.

When I asked him for a signal report and to help me adjust my audio gain and EQ, this is what he said, "You are 20 over 9 here. Great signal! In terms of the audio, don't touch a thing! Your audio is broadcast quality. If you were sitting in my shack and hearing what I am hearing from your audio, you would be well pleased."

I am well pleased. My only gripes are that the supplied schematic is rather hard to read. Ten-Tec could have done a better job reproducing it. After all, if they want us to have a copy of the schematic they could at least make it completely readable.

Additionally, included in the cost is a cable to go from the 717 to your rig. You specify the cable when you order the 717. However, you must provide your own 8-pin mic cable to the 717. Ten-Tec could have supplied the required pinouts for the mic connector instead of simply passing it off as "Ten-Tec and Yaesu pinouts." That caused me the extra work of finding these pinouts on the Net. (Mic hot to pin 8, mic ground to pin 7--in case you are interested.)

Still, all-in-all I am very happy with the 717 and especially pleased by the audio reports that I have received on SSB.