Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones
Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: 8 ohm 400-4000 HZ communications headphones
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones.

N7AG Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2015 22:35 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two things: comfortable; hears well. What more do you want?

WI0Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Unmatched for what they are  Time owned: more than 12 months
I should begin by mentioning that I have the HS-5 Deluxe model...I love these headphones! I am not just a ham, but also an audiophile, so I understand these things. You would not like music streaming through these headphones, but voices will be music to your ears! The frequency response is a perfect 150 Hz to 4 kHz...soooo perfect!

I have to admit, however, that my favorite design characteristic of these headphones is the ability to still hear everything else going on around me. To me, that is a very significant part of what makes these headphones both superb and superior (especially when the XYL is calling me!).

That is, in no way, meant to minimize the importance of the response and the extreme comfort they provide (unmatched, in my opinion), it's just another important detail that SOMEONE REMEMBERED NOT TO FORGET!!

Just my 2,

WI0Q...the radio station.

ON6SX Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2014 14:29 Send this review to a friend
The best there is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it on TS-850,TS-590,TS-790 and FT-897D and it gives a good sound.You can have it for hours on your head with no pain on the ears.

G7ENQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2014 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Very, very comfortable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought these headphones to go with my new TS-590S. They are light on the head being well weighted, sound-tight without crushing your skull, and loud - you don't need a lot of volume to drive these headphones.

Even after a few hours of use, they remain comfortable. I've nothing but praise for these.

Highly recommended - try them yourself from a friend or at the dealer.

KC0W Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Cat's Meow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review deals with the brand new pair HS-5's being used for CW only. Not enough SSB listening has been done yet to make an honest opinion regarding their capability on voice.

The first thing I immediately noticed upon plugging these headphones into my rig was how LOUD everything now was. The main radio here is a K3. My primary CW headphones for many years had been Heil BM-10's & Heil Prosets. The volume knob on the K3 was always at the 12 o'clock setting when using the Heil's. As my ears fatigued in the heat of many hours of CW contest battle the volume knob had to be turned up to 2 o'clock or better on the Heil's.

With these new pair of HS-5's the volume knob now stays at the 8 o'clock setting. Upon ear fatigue it goes to 9 o'clock.

As others have done I gently bent the top of the headphones metal strap so they now fit my head better without any inward pressure pushing against my ears.

If it's one thing I can't stand it's when my ears sweat due to prolonged headphone usage. I just gave these 'phones their Maiden voyage regarding. I'm playing right now in the Worked all Europe CW contest & have been operating CW for the past 5 hours now. No "sweat" or uncomfortable feeling with the new 'phones as of yet. I decided not to attach the optional plastic ear covers to the headphones. I really don't need anymore sound isolation & I hate the feeling of plastic against my ears.

The headphones 4K roll off is a real plus versus the BM-10's which don't roll anything off. Why listen to high frequency hiss when you don't have to?

I have not yet performed the stereo mod to the 'phones...........It would be relatively easy to convert these headphones so they could be used for SSB voice transmission as well. I would use the mic element off of a pair of Heil BM-10's & secure everything off the earpiece of the Kenwoods.

Bottom line: I should have purchased these 'phones for CW many years ago.

Tom KC0W

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 09:31 Send this review to a friend
The Best HF Headphones  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nothing better, I converted mine to Stereo (Instructions in the net, simple mod). It's great to listen to the DX in the right ear and the Pile-Up in the left ear using the FTdx-5000 2nd Receiver. Vy 73

WD9CMD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 06:31 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried many many different headphones and these are the very best ever. Glad they still make them. If you are using a monitor function on your rig to monitor your transmit audio or are trying to adjust your gain or eq, you need these, as they are 8 ohm impedance and will provide maximum volume and sensitivity. Well worth the money.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2010 06:01 Send this review to a friend
I keep coming back to them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried lots of headphones for CW and SSB, from studio monitor types to el cheapos. Many are fine for CW, but SSB performance is the real test in my opinion.

For SSB I want a good balance between reduction of high frequency hiss and other noise and intelligebility of weaker signals under poor conditions. I've found that I keep coming back to these headphones because they do the best with that balance for me.

N1TCH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2010 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable and great sound  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the HS-5 to complete my Kenwood TS-520SE shack. I replaced a pair of cheapo MFJ phones that crushed my ears and gave me a headache. I just tossed them without a thought after putting on the HS-5. The price isn't excessive for the quality that you get.

IW5EIJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Great headphones  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Best headphones i had.
After using it at club station i need to buy a pair.
Frequency response "radio only" use gives a comfortably sound. Big earpads are great for night time use with low volume.

I believe it's best you can buy even if they're not so cheap.