Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones
Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: 8 ohm 400-4000 HZ communications headphones
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones.

YO3VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2006 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Good headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably the best headphones from all three great Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood. Very easy to modify them as stereo. The only bad point is they hurt a lot if you were them for long perods of time. I have two pairs and I have both of them modified for stereo so I could listen from FT-1000MP.
73's from Mike

CT1IDW Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2006 09:24 Send this review to a friend
OK but a bit disconfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The audio is great, very well built, but compared to my other Headphones (senheiser) they are a bit too heavy, the ear pressure is excessive in conclusion they aren't too confy.

The audio, compared with the Senheiser, is much better because of the narrow passband. Of course the Senheiser I own are HiFi headsets not designed to radio comms.

NF2C Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2005 19:43 Send this review to a friend
A Quality item  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These headphones are well made and will isolate background noise pretty well. They have a nice sound, and are fairly comfortable to wear. There is some adjustability and cord length is ample. If you can find a decent used set, I say buy them! There are surely better ones out there, but these give a lot of bang for the buck.

EW1CK Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2004 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Old good days diamond from Kenwood  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, The 400Hz-4KHz frequency bandwith is big advantage over ordinady audio stereo phones.
In one word - superb ! Exellent quality and very solid stable design. Looks like different their days phones(almost plastic).
Heil Pro with comparison to HS-5 looks like cheaply and fragile. You know what I'm talking about.
Somebody prefers Heil Pro, but HS-5 is my favorite phones.
Have no idea why Kenwood never produced phone set based on HS-5.
From my point, HS-5 with Heil HC-4 microphone module is the best one.
I've got it (homebrewed phone set based on HS-5 with HC-4) and can say that is really best.
Can't be comparable with Heil Pro in CW. HS-5 is much more better.
From other hand, there is no difference in SSB for me.
Sound reproduction is accurate and good communications quality.
Another positive is sound isolation.
And last, but not least, HS-5 is very comfortable.
I'm very pleased with it.

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2004 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Stereo mod easy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have since modified these for stereo. The cord already has 3 conductors. Simply pry off the cover off the outside of the earpiece and wire for stereo then replace the phone plug with a stereo plug. Now you can take advantage of dual receive found in several modern rigs! 73

KG9HV Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2004 05:05 Send this review to a friend
good cans  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had these for about 5 years and they have
survived drops to the floor and are none the
worse for wear. Sound good and are fairly comfortable. They are a bit pricey, but none
the less good headphones. I'm sure there are
more comfortable cans to be had though.
John KG9HV

W6EZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2004 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Just FB for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one set of these head phones I bought new in 1992 and they have held up perfectly! I use them almost every day and have no problems whatsoever.
The ear pads on mine have never fallen off.
I have another set that was 5 years old when I got them, and they too are flawless thus far.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2004 21:37 Send this review to a friend
High quality communications headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
This things are built like a tank. If your rig has a hissy audio amp, you probably won't hear it through these due to the roll-off at 4khz. Most headphones these days are high impedance however these are rated at 8 ohms. Ironic since so many rigs have 100 ohm resistors in series with the headphone jack anyway. They do tend to compress the ear a bit since the pads don't go over the ear like larger headphones do. I find myself yanking them off in pain after about an hour. For QSK cw they are superior. Their reduced bass and treble response works to your advantage in cw mode because you tend not to hear the clicking and thumping sometimes associated with QSK. I wonder if there is a way to put larger pads on them? PS. I did use the Heil headset during field day and found them much more comfortable however I was not able to directly compare the sound. 73

N4TD Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Favorite Headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HS-5 have been my fovorite headphones for many years. I have tried numerous others, but always end up using the HS-5. I just like the way they sound for communications work. My set of HS-5 came wired for mono. To take advantage of the audio capabilities of my new rig, I rewired the headphones for stereo. My HS-5 headphones have a three wire cord, so rewiring for stereo simply involved popping off the outside cap and changing the wiring. I found the service manual for the HS-5 on the Kenwood site, which showed the mechanical construction.

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2003 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Typical Kenwood quality and tuned for communications. Had mine for a year or so and use them only to dig out weak signals -- but nothing else compares (have tried four other sets of cans and none come close).

Tom