Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones
Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: 8 ohm 400-4000 HZ communications headphones
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood HS-5 Communications Headphones.

N4TD Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Favorite Headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HS-5 have been my fovorite headphones for many years. I have tried numerous others, but always end up using the HS-5. I just like the way they sound for communications work. My set of HS-5 came wired for mono. To take advantage of the audio capabilities of my new rig, I rewired the headphones for stereo. My HS-5 headphones have a three wire cord, so rewiring for stereo simply involved popping off the outside cap and changing the wiring. I found the service manual for the HS-5 on the Kenwood site, which showed the mechanical construction.

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2003 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Typical Kenwood quality and tuned for communications. Had mine for a year or so and use them only to dig out weak signals -- but nothing else compares (have tried four other sets of cans and none come close).

Tom
Honolulu

GM0WDD Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2003 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best investment I've made in amateur radio recently!

They do have a little bit too much bass but I prefer it that way. A joy to wear and they cut out background noise in the shack.

(I'm not talking about the YL ;-) )

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2001 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the HS-5 very much they are both comfortable and well made. They had to much bass for my ears but this was easily solved by installing a 1.0 mf cap in series inside the phone plug.

VE7WV Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2000 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Ensure your rig is designed for 8 ohm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(left rating at 5 'cause this is just a comment)

>> . I have tried many other phones and these are really the best I have ever listened to basically because they are tailored to the job at hand and are not 32 ohm 20Khz stereo phones. <<

No dispute on whether these phones are good stuff or not, but be sure that your rig is designed for an 8 ohm load for the phones. Some in fact are designed for 32, in fact, any designed for low power I would imagine are 32 ohms.

My Elecraft K2 is a case in point.

Mike VE7WV

AB7SL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2000 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio response  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike stereo headphones which are often times used with HF rigs these Kenwood HS-5 headphones have the correct impedance (8 ohms) and frequency response (400-4000 hz)to really improve the intelligibility of communications audio. They come with foam earpieces installed and extra leather earpieces are included. Switching to the leather earpieces is easy and made all the difference. They totally block out outside sounds and really isolate your ears from anything but the audio from your rig. The phones are extremely comfortable. The 4K hz frequency cutoff is a great advantage over any of the stereo phones and gives great clarity to the received audio. I have tried many other phones and these are really the best I have ever listened to basically because they are tailored to the job at hand and are not 32 ohm 20Khz stereo phones. Worth every penny.