Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Zero-Five 6-80 Meter Groundplane Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Zero-Five 6-80 Meter Groundplane Vertical
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $409
Description: The NEW 6-80 meter groundplane vertical antenna is a rugged
multiband vertical antenna. This vertical has no lossy
traps, coils or stubs to burn out fill up with water and
detune. Super wide bandwidth means more time operating, and
less time stuck on a frequency your trap vertical is tuned
for. Designed for hams that do not have room for ground
radials. This vertical Stands 36 feet tall and has 6 ridged
aluminum radials 133 inches long each. Should be mounted at
6 to 10 feet above ground, Not recommended for roof
mounting. The element and radials are made from T-832 Drawn
aircraft aluminum tubing. The CNC machined base tube is made
from 2 1/4 inch 1/4 wall T-6 extruded aluminum tubing. The
mounting pegs for the radials are solid aluminum pressed
into the base tube and then Tig welded to ensure a good
electrical connection. The base insulator is Fully CNC
machined Black Delrin for excellent insulation and power
handling. Not a wobbly cheap fiberglass tube. Comes complete
with our new double core matching transformer and mounting
plate with leads.
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/6-80-meter-broadband-groundplane-freestanding-vertical-antenna

You can write your own review of the Zero-Five 6-80 Meter Groundplane Vertical.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2017 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After more than one-year of use, I am beyond satisfied with this antenna for Worldwide communications.

Some facts about this 43-foot vertical:

- a 5/8 wave on 20M, very low angle radiation for long-haul DX over 10,000 miles

- a 1/2 wave on 30M, meaning very good low angle radiation and high efficiency due to reduced ground loss at this wavelength

- 1/4 wave on 60, good low to mid-angle radiation

Did I mention working 49 countries and 48 states on 80M with it?

I can use this antenna on 160M with my Palstar tuner, even with the low efficiency, I was able to work 5 countries and 40 states. Not bad.

Some mods:

I extended the radiator to 45-feet in length, as I tend to work the lower end of each band.

I extended the six-(6) aluminum radials from 130 to 172 inches to improve efficiency on the higher bands.

I added six-(6) 14 gauge copper wire radials along the ground ranging from 33-feet to 132-feet to improve the return current on the lower bands for better efficiency.

The antenna performs extremely well on DX from 80M thru 17M. Perhaps not the best choice for Regional communications compared to horizontal wire antennas.

Note it is too long for 15M, 12M, 10M and 6M, resulting in the generation of multiple azimuth lobes which usually compromise performance.

This one is a real winner, especially if you are hunting for DX!

WA7TNT Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been a HAM for 40+ years and used various antennas But with this antenna what I can hear I can usually work - with 100 watts! My own power is my only limitation with this awesome piece of aluminum! It has withstood wind gusts to 50+ mph without an issue. I used a Butternut HF6V and a wire on an AH-4 for years in a very small urban footprint and was semi-pleased with them. When we moved out to our new 14ac farm last Aug. my wife said - "Honey, you buy any antenna you want". She's a peach! But my neighbor across the road has a private airport and Im in the flight path. Dang. So I went to the eHam reviews. Zero Five - consistently 5.0! What?? I have the space - Why not? So I picked up the 6-80 Vertical ground plane. No radials? Heck ya! It's built like a tank! At first I was having a problem tuning 80m with the internal AT on my FT920. I emailed the company and they got back to me the same day with some ideas. I did eventually purchase an external AT - MFJ 993B for my IC-7000 and ta-da! I am still having some issues with 6m but I really don't operate there. I will figure that out if and when the time comes. As a result of my new found reception I have retired my FT920 joined a DX club and bought a new IC-7600 and Heil headset. Ive worked 150+ new countries in the past 8 months and entered in the ARRL SSBDX contest with a fairly good showing for my first contest! What can I say? A few words of caution.....You may need to purchase better equipment to match this awesome antenna!!! I see an amp in my future...lol

N9FDJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 00:00 Send this review to a friend
HANDS DOWN  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HAD THIS ZEROFIVE 6-80M FOR ABOUT A YEAR; JUST N9FDJ HAD IT UP LAST 8MO. I HAVE A COUPLE OF VERTICL AS I HAVE MOVE A FEW TIME'S. THIS ONE HERE IS A 5/5 AND BULIT LIKE A TANK AS WITH EVERYTHING HE MAKES. OTHER HAMS THAT HAS SEEN THIS AND OTHER ANTENNAS MADE BY TOM IS QUOTED THEY NEVER HAD SEEN A BETTER BULIT ANTENAS. TOOK LESSS THEN AN HOUR TO PUT. NOT A BIG 10M PERSON BUT EVERY BAND DOWN TO 80M WITH A GOOD TUNER, I HAVE PALSTAR AT4K, ITS BEST INVESTMENT. NO ONE KNOWS ONCE YOU OWN A ZEROFIVE; YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANY OTHER VERICAL, LIKE A ZEROFIVE

W6FYR Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2012 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To start, my lot isn't very big and the existing 10m-40m fan dipole I have is working alright along with a 40m/80m folded dipole. Neither of them are at optimum height because of the hillside I am at so I am at a disadvantage to begin with.

My preference is DX in the 10m-20m bands and I have been wanting to try a vertical due to the lower angle of radiation that can exist. After 8 months of deliberation and going back and forth on what I wanted and coming up empty as I wanted what didn't exist.... something simple. After looking at various commercial vertical antenna's, didn't really like what I wanted. Complex and time consuming setup, lossy traps, flimsy construction, visually unappealing all started to add up.

Then I happened on the Zero-Five antenna's and finally decided to go big or go home and picked up this 43'ft behemoth. Total setup and install was about 1-hour (not including the in-ground mount).

Put it on air with 100'ft of LMR-400 that I had into an IC-7410 radio, and WOW! It is a little noisier than both dipoles (which is expected), but on 10m-20m it hears very well and with a few exceptions if I can hear them I can work them and made almost 12 contacts the next day in the first few hours just dialing around the bands without making any calls. My dipoles could not hear what the vertical was hearing for whatever reason on the 10m-20m portion, and that was a good thing I felt.

Had several QSO's into Japan and South America with guys running 100-500 watts into directional antenna's, and they could hear me better than I could hear them at times. Possibly because of the vertical/horizontal difference or they had receive gain via the antennathey were using, not sure but I was impressed none the less.

On 40m-80m, the difference's are less noticeable on receive and I switch back and forth to see which is better. Doesn't really surprise me to be honest, but this antenna has made things even better. Transmit does seem to be a little better for stateside contacts via the Zero-Five vertical than the dipole.

Love the fact that it is less noticeable than other verticals I was originally looking at. In the future Going to paint it a flat grey/brownish colors to reduce the visual and shiny aluminum to hide it even more. Great job Zero-Five!!!!!