Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN ZN-HK Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN ZN-HK
N3ZN  ZN-HK Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$315.00
Description: Very High quality Hand key.
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN ZN-HK.

K3TIM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2017 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Very Smooth Feeling Key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ZN-HK straight key is one smooth operator. The feel is very solid, base is very stable which adds to the solid feel. Large bearings and bearing blocks continue this theme. The result is a fantastic / perfect feel to the key. It is now the key of choice (in straight key class).
The construction / finish is just superb.

A worthy key for the shack.

WA4STX Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2017 12:49 Send this review to a friend
The Best Straight Key You Can Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In 40 years as a ham, I've operated on HF strictly CW with a straight key. All of my QSOs were made with a Ham-Key Model HK-3. After years of having the key tip over while sending, I decided to treat myself to a quality key. I admit, I was swayed by the aura of sexiness surrounding the Begali keys., but I was fortunate to read the glowing reviews of the N3ZN keys and paddles on eham.net, and decided to go in that direction.
Tony is quick to respond to emails, and an absolute pleasure to work with. I was fortunate that he had in stock the color that I wanted, so I received the key in a few days.
Packaging was sturdy. There was no amount of abuse that UPS would be able to inflict that would damage this key, short of running the package over with a tractor trailer!
After connecting the key to my rig, and adjusting it, I knew I had made the right choice. Can you say S-M-O-O-T-H? Best of all is that the heaviest fist will not topple this key. This key will definitely last my lifetime and more. I'm proud to give yet another '5' rating to one of Tony's creations.
If you like using a straight key, you can't go wrong buying the ZN-HK. Keep your money here in the USA.
If I ever decide to try a paddle, I will definitely be buying one from Tony.

N6XJP Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2016 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't even remember where or when I got my first key. It was right after I got my Novice in 1990 or so, on my way to Extra the next year. It was old, clunky, and really.... now that I have the HK... very noisy!

I only do code. You can count all the HF SSB QSOs I have had on two hands and still have fingers left over. Used to send about 20 with a straight key, but now I am more comfortable with 12-15.

But that might change. The N3ZN ZN-HK arrived in a large box, full of styro popcorn surrounding a smaller box that was wrapped in large bubble wrap. Inside the smaller box, the key was cushioned by about an inch of foam on each side. I knew then, that this was something special.

The Key is beautiful. High quality workmanship, a show piece. The photos do not do it justice. It's heavy and just doesn't move. In fact I have had to lessen my force on this Key in that it just doesn't take much more than a light touch to make it sing. After adjusting it... about 20 seconds worth of work, I plugged it into my KX3 and played around without transmitting. It is so quiet and so well engineered that I had to turn down my side tone! Effortlessly I played without transmitting a typical QSO. Wow. This is going to be great.

Diving into the muck that once was Live HF Bands, I pounced on a very, very weak signal ... it was coming out of the Midwest. Answering with all the five watts I could muster on a compromised antenna, I made contact with a fellow SKCC member on the WES. Short, QSB and all, I had my first with my new Key.

If you are at all reluctant to get a new Key and you are among us old timers that insist on Straight Keys... don't delay. You simply will not believe the difference between a "steam driven" 25-50 year old Key and this incredible, beautiful, well engineered instrument.

It has changed my code and certainly heightened my interest in Ham radio.

Thanks Tony... for putting it all together.

Dave
N6XJP

W0EJ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
W0EJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been using an old Ameco junker mounted to the base of an old Bencher key which gave it the "heft" I like. This key felt funky when sending so I went to a J38 which is very similar to the Ameco but it also lacked the "heft" I like so I ordered a VizKey Camelback. I was very happy with the Camelback key and have made over 100 contacts with it but it is noisey when sending and again, it dosen't have the "heft" I like. When I saw that Tony now offers a straight key I hurried and put the ZN-HK on order as I already own a ZN-9A iambic from Tony and know the impeccable quality of his CW sending instruments. My new ZN-HK key (S/N 025) finally arrived and I immediately plugged it into the rig and went to town. OH MY!! This thing is amazingly smooth, quiet and has all the "heft" I could ask for. You can feel the quality and immediately I knew it was worth every penny I spent for it. The improvement from the Camelback to the ZN-HK is at least the same order of magnitude as the difference between the Ameco and the Camelback. Not only do you get a key that feels magnificent, it is also a beauty to look at. Thanks again Tony for another fine CW sending instrument.

K3DCW Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 19:22 Send this review to a friend
A quality key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I'm still getting my code speed up-to-par, I decided to make an investment in a quality straight key. I already have a N3ZN ZN-SLR for use with my K3's internal keyer and decided to stick with N3ZN for my straight key. The quality of this key is amazing. The base is solid and does not move AT ALL. The key is fully adjustable and when configured to a close spacing is virtually silent.

This is a key that will last forever. Buy one now!!! You won't regret it.

WD4DNG Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 18:04 Send this review to a friend
High Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am the proud owner of the new N3ZN ZN-HK straight key! The quality & craftsmanship in this new key is truly amazing! The key is a precision instrument,very high quality in workmanship that only Tony,N3ZN,can produce!Serious CW buffs & collectors don't pass this up,you will not be disappointed! It is a art piece that will last a life time +!