Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Ultimax DXtreme Help

Reviews Summary for Ultimax DXtreme
Ultimax DXtreme Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $85.00
Description: The ULTIMAX DXTREME end-fed antenna covering 1.0 to 54 MHZ and is rated at 2KW (SSB). The antenna comes with the choice of a wire radiator length ranging from 33' up to 124', allowing homeowners with more space the ability of improved performance while offering those with limited space an antenna which will cover all of the amateur HF spectrum.
More info: http://www.ultimax-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the Ultimax DXtreme.

KC3BDH Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Surprising Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently obtained my General Class license and was eager to get started with HF. I purchased a used Kenwood TS-450SAT but live in North Eastern Pennsylvania in an HOA with antenna restrictions. I have an attic where my vhf/uhf antennas are located so I decided to go with an end fed wire up there too. I read great reviews here on the Ultimax Dxtreme, so I bought the 33 foot version. It went up in 10 minutes. My first attempt at a qso was a station in Bogota Colombia. Imagine my surprise when my call sign was acknowledged! I got a 5-9 signal report and was told I sounded like I was using a beam antenna. My next contact was with a station in Cuba, again 5-9. I known this station setup has limitations, but I am very pleased with this antenna.

K4EQE Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly Surprised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was sceptical at first and hesitated on the purchase of the Ultimax Dxtreme for some time. My need for a stealthy antenna got the better of me though, so recently purchased the 53' version w/radials.

Me being inpatient, as soon as i received it in the mail i set it up indoors. Not much room in my two story home so i started at the base of the stairs. Ran the radiator up the stairs and made a 90 deg left into the dining area. I ran the radial's out the front door and over the front lawn in the direction south southwest.
I sloped the remaining wire to the top of the cabinet's and fastened the insulator.

"Warning not ALL wife's will allow this, and may bring an abrupt end to you and or your equipment's life's!" ;-)

I ran 75' Mil Spec 213 coiled at each end as chokes. I used my FT-450D w/internal tuner and proceeded to troll the bands. I was able to tune 6m thru 40m effortlessly!!! 80m to 160 not so much.

Perhaps if the antenna was outside I'm sure it wouldn't've been an issue. I spoke to my friends in Florida from Long Island N.Y. on 17m and 40m no problem! But i am pleasantly suprised with this product and how it performed setup the way it was!!!

I will update my review when i set it up outside. 73 K4EQE portable 4 Long Island N.Y. ;-)

N6PET Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2014 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Great all band antenna + Amazing support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham searching for a HOA antenna for my first HF rig. Ultimax Endfed was recommended to me by a couple friends on air. I did not have a external tuner at first and relied on my Yaesu FT-450D's. The antenna tuned well from 10-20m with the Yaesu's ATU but needed a external ATU in all other bands. After installing the LDG YT-1200 ATU, the antenna performed surprisingly well in all bands from 6-160m. I only have the 53' version of the DXtreme and I was getting 59 report QSOs from Japan, Chile, to Florida from CA.

But to top it all, Albert's support via email and phone was just as impressive. He walked me through it and was very prompt answering any emails. He even made himself available on the phone on a late evening his local time.

I strongly recommend this antenna and will buy again from Albert (Ultimax) once I have more room for the 124' version. The antenna performs better than expected for a very reasonable price.

VE2MBT Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2014 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Very good result  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, i just set-up the DXtreme 124' and it beat all my other dipole hand down... I now have 2 multiband antennas, a buxcom and this one, 20m to 10m the DXtream is better but not by a lot of dB but better anyway, the BIG DEAL is on 40m and 80m on RX and TX there is minimum 5dB !!! And what a service, only one word come to my mind, AWESOME, all questions sent by e-mail replied within few hours.... They really stand behind their product. Don't look furter, this antenna really really work good.

KD2DVR Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent antenna with superb results! Living in the Buffalo NY area I have been able to work stations in Japan, New Zealand, Russia and throughout the UK which is great for a Zepp antenna only 15 feet off the ground. My SWR is less than 1.6 to 1 on all bands. I did have to modify it somewhat to "Squirrel Proof" it as they chew on everything up here. An excellent performer for the price!

N1EQG Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
After moving into a new home, found out that ANTENNAS were a NO NO! Bought the DXtreme 88' for $125. Have been using this antenna now for 2 plus years. Installed it in the attic. Kind of a DOG-LEG shape installation, DOG-LEG PLUS! Have had contacts in Chile, Asiatic Russia, Australia, Japan and all over the US. Am very pleased. Receive very good reports on audio. The most important part is, this antenna is not an END FED antenna. At the end of the antenna is a TRANSFORMER. The other very important matter is, the designer and maker, Mr. Albert Mercado, is always there to assist you with any question that comes up. A very knowledgeable and considerate person. TOP-NOTCH ANTENNA and CUSTOMER SERVICE

EA4BNB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a CONDO with restriction. I mounted the 33' antenna as an horizontal configuration, because of the limited space, and the wire runs horizontally (total length)a 50 cm of the facade. I installed the three wires radial system that came with the antenna in semi-horizontal and irregular way on the facade. The yield, although I don't consider it good, for the assembly, it has surprised me and in one month I have been able to contact from Spain, with Japan, Turkey, Georgia, Cuba, Uruguay, and other references. The results of the antenna have been surprising. It is a great product.

W5JBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent end fed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the antenna.(53') Don't have my coax yet to install outside. Pinned it on my wall in the second story game room just to try it out. Every band tuned with the 1000MP internal, no problem...even 160 meters. Made contacts on 40,15,20,10 and 80. Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, California, Ohio, Florida, Tennesee, Illinois and of course Texas.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a mobile home park where I own a doble wide house made all of wood with rough antennas restriction.After trying home made multibands dipoles and even good bazookas, decided to give a try to this "Dxtreme" end fed antenna and for my surprise, its great performance was not expected.I mounted as an "L" configuration, because of the limited space, the wire runs horizontally for 52 feet and the end bends down 36 more feet to go to the end fed balun, so the total is 88 feet long.Mounting was too easy and took me just half an hour, I installed the three wires radial system that came with the antenna and the test to check swr and impedance was done with my MFJ-269 antenna analyzer, I am going to post here my results for you to compare yours.

Freq SWR Impedance
28400 1.3 70
28500 1.3 70
50100 1.5 35
50200 1.6 30

On the air tests showed better than expected results. Using 400W in all bands from 80 to 10M reports were always more than 59 on SSB and more than 579 on cw.The band noise received with this antenna was lower than my former half wave dual band dipole at same high and even lower than my 17M inverted V bazooka. Tuning it on 80 and 40M was very easy trough my PalStar manual tuner, on the other bands with lower than 1.5 swr never used the tuner.So now I do have a single antenna that cover from 160 to 6M with single wire. In my specific installation I do have 100 feet of RG-8 cable to the shack and the horizontal wire is at just 17 feet over the grass as you can see at the pictures posted in qrz.com under my call sign. I think for the money we pay for this antenna is the best choice for restricted space and for rough HOA rules.
One thing has to be clear of course and is that this end fed antenna will never be better than a directional beam but it performs very good for its simplicity.

Hector
AD4C

W8LEW Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the 72' model in multiple configurations.

It has an easily tunable SWR with either my auto tuner on the rig or an external unit from 1.8 - 51 MHz.

With the apex at 40 feet and sloping to 10 feet southward and the shield attached to the tower, I've noted a fairly omni-directional pattern on the psk-reporter maps ranging from a couple hundred miles to a couple thousand miles. I worked Hawaii using 75 watts using Feld Hellschreiber just this last weekend on 80 meters about 0400 UTC.

I would recommend using a radial system if possible. KJ8O and I used this antenna in an inverted L with a 4 wire radial system under a "camp ground" setting. It performed quite well despite poor band conditions. For the ease of installation and excellent unit construction, I think I've come across a very nice antenna for field day or other "camp ground" expeditions and would highly recommend it.

Now that it is winter here in Michigan, this antenna will be my base antenna until spring time but it's doing so well, I might just leave it up! Sorry, Titan DX, you're out of a job! hi hi

Definitely worth the money invested.