Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Elecraft KAT500 Automatic Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KAT500 Automatic Antenna Tuner
Elecraft KAT500 Automatic Antenna Tuner Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$650 (kit); $700 (assembled)
Description: The KAT500 is a high-power autotuner that can be used with the K3/KPA500 and all other HF amplifiers and transceivers. Typical matching range is 10:1 on most bands at 500 W, and 3:1 at up to 1000 W.

Features:
- Frequency counter for autotune and auto antenna selection
- 3 antenna jacks with front-panel or remote selection
- SWR bargraph
- Automatic band switching
- Over 10,000 memories covering 1.5 to 60 MHz continuously
- Stores tune settings for each antenna on every band
- L-network with very high-Q capacitors for low tuner loss
- ATU safely interrupts amplifier key-line during tune
- Same width and depth as the K3/KPA500; just 1.5" tall
- Available factory assembled or as a no-soldering kit

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KAT500 Automatic Antenna Tuner.

W1AST Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2017 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Great High Power Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought a KPA500 I knew and thought I needed a high power tuner too. So buying it to work with the KPA500 made a lot of sense.

I thought I needed it to tune my ZS6BKW G5RV and that my then Mosley TA-33 was tuned. But that ended up being the opposite where the ZS6 was resonant on nearly all freqs I operate on and the TA-33 was way out of tune.

Using the KAT500 software you can program which bands on which antenna port. This makes it switch automatically to the correct antenna when RF is sensed.

The tuner has a lot of memories, so you can train it for the bands you operate, so it doesn't have to retune each time.

I have experimented and so far it tunes everything I've attached to it.

I'd say my only complaint is that it is pretty loud when tuning. I'd prefer a slightly larger case with some noise absorbtion. But it is small enough to sit below or above the KPA500. The two stacked are pretty darn small.

All in all it works great!

F6DEX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2016 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent and versatile antenna tuner, especially with a K3 but works fine with any rig. A bit noisy but fast, efficient and safe. This is a "must have" complement for a KPA500.

W2LEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2016 09:59 Send this review to a friend
No Regrets  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using my KAT 500 Tuner with an Icom 7600, and an Acom 600s Solid State 600W Amplifier. The tuner has performed Flawlessly at High and Low power. It cost more than other competitive Auto Tuners but it's quality is worth the Price. So yes if you are looking for an Auto Tuner Consider the KAT 500

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Auto-Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the kit but the main board was already assembled. Still a few hours of assembling the hardware. Works as marketed. Smart antenna switch allows automatic selection of antenna when you change bands. I have an Icom 7600 and had to order an LDG Icom-PAC cable from my local dealer, HRO, which provides power and tune operation from the radio. I would suggest this auto-tuner to any of my ham friends.

WA3OFR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Design! Well Done Elecraft!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm sneaking up on getting a complete K-Line....and the KAT500 was a Christmas present to accompany my KPA500 (Which I love!) purchased 2 years ago. I'm currently driving this combo with my old TenTec Omni V, so I'm not experiencing the full seamless capability that will come with the K3 / Frequency interface, but once skipping through my antennas and performing an initial calibration (at the 10 and 30kHz) spacings, normal operation is a breeze. Without the K3, I still need to send a couple of low power "dits" to give it RF/Frequency to pull up the tuner setting, but this is still infinitely quicker than my old, manual TecTec 238 tuner. I did get a little confused and made a call to Elecraft and spoke with Craig who cleared up my confusion. Apparently, once calibrated, and especially on SSB, it is more stable if left in MANUAL vs AUTO tune. (on SSB in AUTO, sometime it would try to retune at high power and chatter away ..much happier in MANUAL, which he said is the preferred position (once calibrated). The Utility program for the PC is excellent too. It provided real time info on my unmatched VSWR ("Bypass" value).. which has revealed that I have some intermittent problem in one of my antennas as the bypass VSWR moves around a lot. Not the KAT500's problem, but it is a very useful, "real time" diagnostic too that exposed something that I need to go fix come spring time!

This is a well made, well engineered product and I really appreciate the thoughtful design to make such a simple, seamless and "goof proof" / bullet proof piece of equipment. Well done Elecraft. Looking to treat myself a K3S as a retirement gift to myself this fall (2016) Can't wait!

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 15:21 Send this review to a friend
More K-Line Magic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is magic with the K-Line.

Here's why: when cabled up with your K3, the tuner retunes as you turn the VFO knob. Once the settings for your antennas (up to 3 with the internal antenna switch) are learned by the tuner, the tuner automatically selects the proper settings for that antenna on that *frequency*. That frequency -- not that band. The tuner knows what the transmit VFO frequency is and selects the tuning settings last used on or near that frequency. You don't have to send RF to the tuner and wait for it to re-tune. It is already done before you key the rig!

If you are listening to 75M and decide to spin the VFO to the low end of the 80M band, the tuner magically selects the proper settings about 1 second after you stop turning the VFO knob.

This means that after the tuner is "trained", you can QSY anywhere, and your antenna is tuned. That is like magic. Maybe better than magic. It means that the K-Line is virtually instant QSY anywhere your antenna can be (really has been) tuned.

AC4BT Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Customer Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the KAT500 to tune 40, 80 meter wire dipoles and I also have a Hexbeam connected in Bypass mode (since the Hexbeam is resonant on the bands it services). In addition to the KAT500 I am using the P3 Panadapter, KPA500 and K3 connected and working together. It's a great station that allows for quickly changing frequency and always being ready to transmit without delay.

The KAT500 Tuner is a very well thought out design that complements the rest of the Elecraft equipment. I have also successfully used it, stand-alone, with other Transceivers as a dedicated tuner.

Elecraft recently updated their firmware and I upgraded the K3 and the KPA500 without incident. However, I had issues upgrading the firmware on the KAT500 Tuner. The Tuner failed the firmware update and became unable to communicate with the Firmware utility program that is used to upgrade the firmware. The Tuner was functioning fine on the air but running an older version of the firmware and I was unable to upgrade it.

I send an email to Elecraft describing the problem and asking for help. To my pleasant surprise I quickly got a response directly from K6KR, Dick, who is the author of the Windows version of the Firmware. What better person to work on this than the author!

Dick had me run through some tests and had me send him the resulting screen prints. Dick responded immediately to the emails going back and forth and had the problem quickly diagnosed and resolved after only a few email exchanges! I am not used to such outstanding customer support in 'real' time.

I felt like I was given Royal treatment. Elecraft is an outstanding customer focused company, no one else comes close. I have never received such outstanding customer support from any company, Ham related or not.

Thanks, Dick, for taking the time to resolve my problem! Great job!

W0BBI Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Matches it all.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my KAT500 for several months now and purchased it along with the KPA500 to complete my K-Line setup. As with all Elecraft products the kit is well engineered and of exceptional quality. I only have home brew wire antennas at my location (80/40, 20/17 & 160) and this tuner allows me to operate all bands from 6-160 and use the KPA500 with no issues. Even my Palstar tuner has problems matching some combinations that the KAT500 handles easily.
Simply an excellent unit all around.

AJ9K Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The tuner looks nice sitting below my KPA500 linear and next to my K3, and works great. I like the simple cable diagrams included in the owners manual depicting several equipment configurations. The manual also includes configurations with non-Elecraft transceivers. Construction and configuration were a snap.

I built it from a kit and, when used for the first time, the unit took a few seconds for the relays to search for the correct impedance match, and store the values in memory. After that, the tuner operated almost instantly.

I am please with this product and highly recommend it.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Obtained this auto tuner recently for a remote installation. It works very well direct at the home station and over the internet using the original control program or the new internet control program available as a Beta currently from the Elecraft site. At the home station it found a match for all antennas I manually tune with the Ameritron ATR-30, taking a while to find the correct matches in some cases, but always at a low SWR. The antenna switching feature is very good for a remote application!

For anyone using the remoterig RRC boxes, both the KAT500 and the Elecraft KPA500 amplifier will work on com1 and com2 at the same time with serial port setting 4 on each com port. If you want to use CAT at the same time you have to use a serial server as well (such as a 4 port Moxa 5450).