Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Chuck Rippel R-390A Restorations Help

Reviews Summary for Chuck Rippel R-390A Restorations
Chuck Rippel R-390A Restorations Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Restoration of the venerable R-390A Military Receiver. With decades of experience repairing and restoring this popular military receiver, Chuck Rippel is a master-craftsman, among the very few capable of restoring the R-390A to better than new. Contact: chuck.rippel@cox.net

You can write your own review of the Chuck Rippel R-390A Restorations.

KB1OKL Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2013 12:51 Send this review to a friend
excellent job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Chuck restored my r-390A 7 or 8 years ago and it still tunes like butter, and is very sensitive, I own many boatanchors and this one is the go to radio when I really want to hear something. No R-390A wrist with this radio, I band cruise with it quite a bit.

KA9EGW Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
5-stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not only is Chuck about a miracle worker with an R-390A [the radio tunes like silk and is less-than-0.1-uV sensitive], he's also just one heck of a nice guy to deal with. Oh, and his price was a lot less than I expected. Mere words cannot adequately express my satisfaction. 73, Brian KA9EGW

K3VR Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
R-390A AF-Deck Restoration  Time owned: more than 12 months
The AF Deck in my R-390A was working fine, but I wanted to replace the old caps. I soon discovered someone had removed the sockets for the original plug-in caps and had hard-wired in new caps, which were completely unmarked.

This would not do.

I contacted Chuck Rippel to inquire as to whether he had a pair of sockets. Not only did he have the sockets, but he offered to install them for me and to turn the unit around in a few days for an extremely reasonable price. I was already aware of Chuck's excellent reputation, so off it went.

I received the deck in fine condition, as promised, with my caps installed in the new sockets provided and wired by Chuck. But... what's this? A handful of old caps were also replaced, under the deck.

Imagination my joy at hearing the sonic beauty Chuck had wrought upon my AF Deck! Crystal clear highs, thumping lows, clarity I had not heard before, and not a hint of hum or muddiness was present.

Chuck did not charge extra for this service. He simply said... "I enjoy working on them and I enjoy receiving word that the difference is appreciated."

There is no one who has as much knowledge and experience as Chuck Rippel where the R-390A is concerned. Thank you Chuck.