Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Apache Labs ANAN-10 SDR Transceiver. Help

Reviews Summary for Apache Labs ANAN-10 SDR Transceiver.
Apache Labs ANAN-10 SDR Transceiver. Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1449
Description: The Apache-Labs ANAN-10 is a 10+ watt HF + 6M Software Defined Radio multimode Transceiver. The ANAN-10 is comprised of the OpenHpsdr designed Hermes 500mw transceiver board, Apache-Labs 10+ watt Power Amplifer / LPF Filter board and housing. The Hermes board is the original OpenHPSDR / TAPR Mercury, Pennylane, Metis and Excalibur (less TCXO) boards rolled into one printed circuit board. See http://openhpsdr.org/hermes.php for more details.

The Hermes receiver is Direct Down Conversion using a 16 bit Analog to Digital Convertor running at 122mhz. This provides the ability for continuous, uninterrupted, receive coverage from 10KHz to 55MHz. It can support up to 7 receivers (sharing the same antenna) in firmware. The Hermes V 2.0 firmware currently provides a maximum of 4 simultaneous receivers. Each receiver can display 48, 96 or 192khz of spectrum at one time.

The ANAN-10 PA/Filter board provides 3 seperate antenna ports, 10+ watt power amplifier, SWR bridge, Low Pass Filtering and 13.8VDC connector. The Hermes board includes low level RF inputs/outputs and a 26 pin I/O connector, as well as 2W audio stereo speaker ouput, headphone, mic and key jacks.

The Hermes/ANAN-10 uses a standard RJ-45 LAN ethernet connection, no soundcard, firewire, or usb required. Firmware updates via Ethernet.

The Hermes/ANAN-10 transceiver currently uses Open Source HPSDR PowerSDR Version 2.2.5, and KK-Unified-32 (KISS) available at http://openhpsdr.org/download.php . Other HPSDR open source software is under development as well. See http://openhpsdr.org/download.php for details.
More info: http://apache-labs.com/al-products/1027/ANAN-100D-HF---6M-100W-ALL-MODE-SDR-TRANSCEIVER.html

You can write your own review of the Apache Labs ANAN-10 SDR Transceiver..

WB2ZXJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 15, 2017 17:55 Send this review to a friend
A thermal nightmare!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great idea from the openHPSDR group. But a very poor implementation by apachelabs.

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 16:02 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST RADIO I HAVE EVER OWNED  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not much more to say other than what everyone else has said, this is a phenomenal radio. The receiver is fantastic, I get great transmitting audio reports and the specs and capabilities are better than radios costing 5 times as much. Why wouldn't you buy one, I have no idea!

VK4CH Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2014 00:17 Send this review to a friend
The future is virtually here  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After about a decade of being off air due to too many reasons a friend convinced me to try SDR as it was cheap and just plugged into a computer. I bought a FLEX 1500. Great radio but at 48Khz the window was too small. I sold it and bought a Flex 3000. Twice the window and now 100w. Again great radio. Then I was loaned an ANAN-10.
Wow these are amazing. Huge QRM from other QRO hams 500m away....GONE. Scratchy signals fighting with Russian TV on 6m....HEARD and WORKED. If I can hear it I can work it and it seems to hear stations that are not there on the other radios. I now own an ANAN-10 and have worked more than 50 countries with it.

If you would like to see where radio is going, I recomend you try one as SDR is to PLL what PLL was to crystals...

N1EU Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performer (updated)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm posting an update to my previous review (eHam doesn't allow editing of posted reviews).

I've been using the ANAN-10 with a THP HL-50B amplifier to drive my Acom to full legal power. The ANAN-10 plus PowerSDR OpenHPSDR mRX is a powerful, full-featured SDR. I also have a Hercules DJ Console and FlexControl tuning knob, both of which interface seamlessly. What really stands out is receiver performance and rx/tx audio quality. You really need to hear this direct rf-to-digital rig to know the level of clarity possible in a receiver and how well the receiver stands up with multiple signals in the passband and on crowded bands. The AGC controllability is a big plus in these cases.

This radio has convinced me beyond a doubt that all premium radios will be DDC/DUC in the near future. Flex and OpenHPSDR have surely gotten this one right.

One cautionary note: don't expect quick T/R turnaround or fast QSK in cw on the ANAN-10/100/100D. For casual cw operating it does fine, but it is not really suitable for fast cw'ers or cw contesting.

TF3ARI Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 02:45 Send this review to a friend
Much better than my old Flex 5000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Review is For Anan100D as I culd not find it.
I have now play with my Anan100D for 1 month and it get 10 point out of 10.
Before I had Flex 5000 with 2 receivers.
sensitivity on 10 meter and 6 meter is much better on Anan 100D. (over 12db)
I had Rf problem on my old Flex, on Anan I have no RF problem and I get always first class modulation report.
Well there is long long long list of positive list that I like to say.
My Anan run cold and 100% quiet.
Again First transceiver from India , I was little worry about it, but This is first class transceiver and feeling as it is Motorola.
Ps My Anan100D controls band data on my Quatra VL 1000 100%

N9RO Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2013 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a radio for under $1500. Sounds fantastic, I now use this in place of my Flex 5000A. Receiver is very good, I have a neighbor who runs over 1KW and I do not hear him AT ALL except when I tune pass him. Ethernet connection makes for clean installation, lot's of various software to play with. Running four receivers works fine. I will be getting the 100D when it comes out. Shipping was great, arrived to me in Texas in 3 day's!

Tim N9RO

K9LZJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Super Rig ++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my new ANAN-10 running side by side with my K3, and from what I can tell it is just as good, but with more features, and much easier to operate. I can look at the six meter band for openings using the spectrum display, and operate CW on 20 meters all at the same time. The software available is excellent, and gets better all the time. I had the Flex 5000, and this small rig is just as good. This rig, and a dual core note book would give you a all band, all mode rig to operate with just a small 12 vdc supply. The team who developed the Hermes over the past few years has done an outstanding job of bringing a first class A to D SDR radio to the ham market. Hank K9LZJ

VU2MB Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2012 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Simply Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought ANAN-10 and it was delivered in first week of October 2012. I am using it for last over a month regularly and I am extremely pleased with the performance of this tiny radio that’s giving jitters to my FT-1000MP mark V in in the receiver department.

I am getting great audio reports and occasionally I use it with my Yaesu Quadra solid state kilowatt amplifier and 20 watts drive is good enough for 300 Watts output.

Unlike any other transceivers whether SDR or conventional ANAN-10 transceiver has only 6 spurs and it is well known fact that other SDR that cost double and conventional transceivers have over 25 spurs.

I can say the receiver is extremely HOT. I have taken it to a friend who has a signal generator and we have injected -127 dbm signal and put a 20db attenuator in the line and started increasing the power and at -120 dbm I was able to hear the signal wearing a head phone. It means Radio’s sensitivity in this test was -140 dbm. It was amazing experience and that signal was buried well below the noise floor but tone was audible.

The Aluminum extrusion case is very well build and is heavy duty. There is something magical in it and you just can’t take your eyes off.

Other best thing is that they are using open source software platform and the best in the industry are involved it the process so as a user we don’t have to worry and would be having plenty of choices. Thanks to all the hardware and software designers.

Service support is excellent from Apache labs as this is evident from their yahoo group.

VU3WJM Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great..!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi!

Ordered my Hermes card thru Apache Labs as pre order. Was pleasently surprised when I was not asked for any money as advance. Being a local I guess I got one from the initial run.

My first impression as a HAM with audiophile interest, truly impressed with the Tx/Rx audio. Sensitivity is very good. This motivated me to go in for the ANAN 10 + PA kit. Assembly gave me first hand experiance with the boards and PCB's, quality wise none of my radios have one in them of similar standards.

I did need to reinstall the bootloader but again it was very straight forward using excellent documentation by Ken N9VV.

In few words I am very satisfied, happy with the radio and company service.
This is indeed my radio for the future....

73's

Rahul VU3WJM

W4DJW Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 19:46 Send this review to a friend
The quality and support is outstanding!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my Apache Labs version of the Hermes (ANAN-10) since November the 8th 2012 (24 days as of this review). It hasn't had a break since it arrived. I really like the multi receiver capability when reporting spots on the digital modes. When I'm not directly using it in a QSO, I leave it listening to multiple digital frequencies spotting calls for PSK31 and JT65 via the virtual audio cables capability in PowerSDR.

I've created a couple YouTube videos using cuSDR running multiple receivers along with running it side by side on the same 8 core computer with a Flex5000A for comparison.

Most of the time I use PowerSDR™ /OpenHPSDR v2.2 RX2. The cuSDR radio program is brand new with leading edge, fun to play with, RX only capabilities right now, which isn't as mature as the very well performing and supported version of PowerSDR from W5WC (Doug). You can see in the videos above there is a wide band view which shows the activity on all of the amateur radio bands at a glance.

The built in network radio capability is very handy. It cuts the cord (Firewire/USB) between the radio and the computer much like any network storage or printer would do. Access the radio from any computer anywhere in the house as long as a TCP/IP connection back the switch is available.

The forum (mentioned in the summary) is very interesting to follow if you are interested in learning more about SDR radios and the latest trends. A ton of support by knowledgeable people located all over the world.

I couple my ANAN-10 to a home built Juma PA100D amplifier for a full 100+ watts out and talk all over the world on 80-10 meters daily.