Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | G Whip Pro Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for G Whip Pro Mobile
G Whip Pro Mobile Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: This mobile antenna uses a single 42 helically wound base
stem, centre fed loaded coil for maximum rf distribution,
and stainless steel upper tuning network for the resonator.
Base thread is 3/8" UNF.
More info: http://www.gwhip.co.uk/mobile.htm

You can write your own review of the G Whip Pro Mobile.

G3UEQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2015 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Very well made.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got mine a few months ago, build quality excellent, had it up and running within 15 minutes using Geoff's tow bar mount. I had original G-whip from 43 years ago and this one is great. Cannot understand why people use mag mounts for LF band mobile as you do need a proper bond to car body. It can be dangerous with modern car electronics as RF can get back into car without proper bonding.

MW1CFN Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Superb Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you've ever bought anything from Geoff Brown of G-Whip, then you'll hardly find it surprising that his Pro Mobile antenna is already getting a 5/5.

It gets another from me.

The build quality is absolutely outstanding, the performance excellent and the customer service a model that mass-scale sellers can only dream of.

Took me 10 minutes from saying 'bye' to the postman to sending my first well-matched signals into the antenna atop a 3-point magmount. No fuss, just a little whip tuning and off you go.

Frankly, for the 125-odd price of this antenna with three coils, you'd be silly to look at anything else.

M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried many different mobile and portable antennas I have finally found one worth using. I use this antenna mounted to a Mercedes Vito and found no problem adjusting it. I have made my own chart showing how long the whip needs to be for different frequencies and this simplifies my use.
I found it is made to a very high standard and if ever this gets damaged I will gladly buy another.
I am a very satisfied G-Whip user.

M0PCB Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Really sturdy and a good performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a while now and gave had some good results from limited activity.

Before placing the order I sent Geoff at G-Whip an email asking if I could swap out the 160m could fit a 17m one as I don't use 160m. This was fine and after a short wait the antenna arrived. The only reason for waiting a few extra days was due to lots of orders having been placed at a rally the day before.

The antenna was well packed and came with high quality fittings and in itself is very well made. Four band coils, a 3/8th mount, hefty ground strap, a whip adjuster and 3 different size whips are provided along with SWR plots taken off that actual antenna.

Setup was straight forward but care must be taken in making sure the mounting point is study, the antenna is quite stiff and can put quite a bending force on the base. I have it mounted on a bracket on my towbar fixing. The visual profile is very good as well.

All in all I have yet to find anything I can fault it on, have worked around EU and into the USA on 20m in moderate band conditions. Planning to get out and about a bit more soon to keep the RF flowing into it. :-)

G0RTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having had a G-Whip Base dipole for a few years and finding it very good (performing at least as well as a Comet HV-422 but being 1/2 the size and installed a little lower) I thought I'd try the Mobile Antenna.

I ordered and sat back to wait as the coils are made to order and individually scanned. I duly got an email with the scan details plus a delivery date. The antenna arrived on the due date and the packaging was superb as is the build quality.

I put the supplied tri-mag mount (optional extra) on my little Fiesta and started to adjust the length of the top section always checking with my MFJ analyser.

I found no problem in getting a VSWR of 1.5:1 or better across the whole of the 160m band (of particular interest as we have a local net on 1.908MHz AM on Sunday afternoons and weekday evenings with a number of stations operating /M or meeting up and operating /P from their cars and I want to join in this activity.

I'd previously tried a centre loaded antenna for this band (bought from a major dealer) and using a similar tri-mag mount could NOT get any resonance except above 1.950 MHz! So a definite improvement on that product, and, considering there are coils and whips (with scans showing resonance & bandwidth)for 80/40/20 & 10m the cost isn't much different from purchasing 5 separate antennas.

What is different and a lot better is the service from Geoff (I got an immediate phone call reply to an email query) and the military standard build quality.

I'm looking forward to using this on the air this weekend on 160m and with the other components inside the supplied plastic carry case (including spanner for adjustment) in my boot I'm sure this system will get a lot of use during my summer break in N Yorkshire and the Lake District.

I'll add another review after a longer period of use but 1st experience is good.