Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | RadioWorks Carolina Windom 160 Help

Reviews Summary for RadioWorks Carolina Windom 160
RadioWorks Carolina Windom 160 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $160.00
Description: 160-10 meter version of RadioWorks Carolina Windom antenna
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the RadioWorks Carolina Windom 160.

G2YC Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 13:16 Send this review to a friend
A Stellar Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since erecting this antenna in Dec 2009, I have been surprised by several people who have rubbished the Carolina Windom antennas from RadioWorks. My CW160 is a fantastic antenna that sometimes outperforms my SteppIR 3-ele beam. OK—that was before I got the SteppIR problems sorted, but still the CW160 is a stellar performer and I consider it to be the most reliable, all-band antenna that I have. Even running 100W, I regularly get reports from stations thinking I'm running higher power. I'd say getting the minimum height on the centre conductor is critical and of course the length makes it unsuitable for some locations. I went for 13AWG stranded insulated wire instead of the hard-drawn wire because of my sea-front location, and proximity of the sea must improve my signal. Jim Thompson at Radio Works was very helpful and responsive to my questions. I highly recommend this antenna.

W4USA Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2008 09:33 Send this review to a friend
well built  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great antenna, works well, built strong. It out performs any other dipole of its kind.

K8VF Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2005 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Up 4 yrs, works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought and installed according to specs. Works fine. Moved feedpoint to a different location to try to achieve lower SWR on multiple bands (just moved 15-20 feet of wire from one end to the other).

Still worked fine, lower SWR as I desired on 40 and 10.
I use it every day on 160 and it compares more than favorably to other ham's antennas near me.

Good solid antenna, good service and prompt response to queries.

A-1

N3GPU Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2000 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Very good for what it is!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna used 4 years ago, after I moved to a new QTH and before tower construction, just so I could get on the air. It's up about 55 feet suspended from trees. I've been surprised at how effective it has been for a wire antenna of this type. SWR is virtually flat on the low ends of 160, 80, 40 and a tuner takes out the bumps elsewhere. Though it will never compete with a good loaded tower or inverted L with good radial system, I was surprised to work into the Balkans on 160 meters at 100 watts with it. It also seems to play particularly well on 17.