Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Mantiz FX-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Mantiz FX-2
Mantiz FX-2 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $185
Description: Dual band 30 & 40m QRP CW transceiver sold by LNR Precision.
More info: http://www.lnrprecision.com/transceivers/

You can write your own review of the Mantiz FX-2.

N7GR Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got This used from a ham. Hooked it up and the receiver was not working properly. Signals were extremely week on a good antenna. I contacted Larry at LNR Precision and explained my problem. He was extremely professional and after asking some questions was stumped. He advised that I mail it in. He tested it and performed an alignment. Upon return the receiver functioned very well. First night made contacts with 12 states in about an hour on 40 cw. The little thing performed well. It is a keeper and a lot of fun to you. Holy recommend getting one...that is if you can find one.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 16:34 Send this review to a friend
They're getting smaller,  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just noted that the FX-2 is now sold out. I'm not surprised.
I can't find any shortcomings in the radio I received.

The receiver is hot, the transmitter works flawlessly, and the QSOs just keep on coming.

I kinda wish that it received SSB and AM SW broadcasts,
like with some other small QRP rigs. But I'm a romantic.
I want it all.

I'll settle for this near perfect CW pocket-sized gem.

KU3V Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Fun QRP Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1) Larry provides fantastic customer service. My unit is the 30/40 meter unit. I received a unit that turned off the volume while transmitting. If you tapped the paddle the volume would come back on. I called Larry and he immediately shipped out a new unit within a couple days and payed for the shipment of the old unit back to him.
2) I adjusted the long wire antenna I received also from Mantix. I got it down to 1.1 SWR using my MFJ antenna tuner. But when I connected the FX-2 it would diplay Forward power = 6 dots which is 4 Watts and a Reverse of 2 watts. The manual is poorly written in China it appears and leaves a lot to be desired when describing SWR as shown by the FX-2. I finally connected my auto tuner from LDG and the FX-2 SWR was then about perfect with 4 watts for SWR forward and 1 or no dots = power shown for reverse. I made two QSOs immediately. They described my signal as 599 or 579. While transmitting the unit still will go silent but if I tap the paddle it turns the volume back on and my transmitting was never stopped. This happens about once every 10 minutes.

Overall Rating:
Pros: Customer service is fantastic. Radio for the price is very good and does what is promised. Band width filters, key rate, tuning screens are all great features. Well built in sturdy case. Nice layout.
Cons:
1) Radio shuts off volume occassionally but it is a minor nuisance.
2) Manual is poorly written and should be redone.
Thus I rate at a 4 out of 5. A great unit and a lot of fun!

K8RA Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2012 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Fun QRP Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the review article in the December QST and decided to purchase the FX-2. It is an amazing little radio for the price. The packaging is solid for portable use and I am especially impressed with the clear audio of cw signals. Unlike the first reviewer, my filters work perfectly and use it mostly at the narrowest setting. It sounds like 300 or 400 cycles but hard to tell. This is one radio that you do want to read the little manual before using the radio. It is easy to use once you understand how to make the multi-function buttons work.

I put it on the air with a little R7 Cushcraft vertical and had no problems making contacts. I highly recommend this radio for qrp .... especially for portable use.

I do recommend the use of a sensitive pair of headphones. I am almost deaf in one ear and like high audio. I am running audio gain wide open.

I did ask a couple of questions of Larry about availability of the radio in the US and he was very prompt in answering. It was sitting in my mail box 3 days later.

de k8ra

GILGSN Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2012 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Neat little radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found a Mantiz FX-2 for sale on Eham. This product came out recently so it was a fairly new unit, with the latest firmware; $120 including shipping, can't be beat. I really like the form factor. It will fit, with wire antenna and small battery into a cargo pants pocket. It is heavy for it's size, suggesting a high degree of integration. The radio is built in China. For $185, you get a lot. My two favorite bands, built-in keyer, wattmeter (forward/reverse), digital display and variable bandwidth filters (more on that later). Power is about 3.5W which varies with supply voltage, antenna and frequency. I have seen it as low as 1.7W on 30m, though I was calling tonight on 10106 and saw 3.5W... Your mileage may vary. The case is metal, feels solid and has tabs in the back to tilt the unit for easier viewing.

My first impression was that the radio is very small. The display has a nice blue backlight. I heard CW as soon as I plugged it in. There was two issues with this unit that I noticed right away. First, the wattmeter did not work and crashed the unit when selected. The filters were all off-center. I could only use #4 and #5 (widest). A 750Hz sidetone would be necessary to use all filters, or moving the bandwidths 150Hz down. Now, that such a small transceiver has five filters, in itself is a small miracle. It also has RIT.

The menus are not intuitive. Fortunately there are few functions and the manual is clear. It doesn't take long to remember everything. Messages memory works great, though there is no auto-repeat.

I would have left it at that if it wasn't for the wattmeter issue. I really wanted that function to estimate SWR, and thus not have to carry another piece of equipment. So, I emailed Larry at LNR Precision. He replied within an hour, asking me to send it to him and that there would be no charge! How's that for customer service?

A week later I got a package from LNR. It wasn't my Mantiz... It was a brand new unit! Impressive... I plugged it in and tried the wattmeter; it works. Some filters however are still off-center. Not such a bit deal, because they are all usable on 40m. On 30m, I can use #4 (600Hz) & #5 (800Hz). The same filters are wider on 40m.

The sidetone is 600Hz. As far as I know, there is no way to change the frequency. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You can change the sidetone volume with a small screwdriver. The headphones volume is essentially on/off. You can't hear anything until you turn the knob about 80%, especially on 30m.

I would have given it a 5 if it wasn't for the filters misalignment. It's not too bad, but still an issue on 30m. LNR's customer service also contributed to my good rating.

I had an 800 miles QSO with 2W on 30m using a Buddistick, so the Mantiz works, no doubt. I am keeping it. Again, you get a lot for such a small package. If anything goes wrong, I know LNR will help me out, no questions asked. I like their end-fed dipoles and plan on getting the 30/40 model available to use with the Mantiz; great combination. The Budistick works fine on 30, but not so well on 40 with the standard coil and whip. The K1 is still my favorite, but you can't just throw it in your backpack like the Mantiz. Definitely a great radio for backpackers!

Gil.