Reviews Categories | Direction Finding equipment | KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T Help

Reviews Summary for KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T
KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399
Description: DF2020T Radio Direction Finder kit requires minimum assembly for 10~15 Minutes
The Stealth DDF2020T/GPS is an economical but very sophisticated Doppler Direction Finder with GPS and can connect a PC or Laptop, to position and draw plots on GoogleEarthTM display window accompanied with “Navi 2020” plotting program.

More info: http://kn2c.us/

You can write your own review of the KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T.

WK4U Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Very happy to own and use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this Doppler system a few weeks ago at the Orlando hamfest.

This past weekend, I joined a group of hams and we enjoyed four different VHF hunts. I was the fox for one of these hunts, and used this Doppler system on the other three. I did have my cell phone running Google Maps so I could see what roads were around me at all times. In each of the three hunts, I found the fox quickly. For our last hunt, we couldn't hear the signal at start, and I drove in every wrong direction possible, but in the end acquired the signal and found it pretty fast. This is a very satisfying feeling!

A local friend also just purchased this Doppler system. He played with Google Earth on a laptop getting his system to draw vectors towards the signal. As of now, it appears the latest version of Google Earth will not work, but one earlier version will. I didn't want to be a one-armed paper hanger last weekend, so I haven't tried the Google Earth sofware - yet.

It is important to calibrate your system carefully before hunting. I parked in the middle of our culdesac and had a friend walk around along the curb with an HT on low power. Take your time to calibrate it (easy to do), then confirm with a full 360 degree walkaround. Once you see it working correctly, you can trust it and use it to win every hunt that day. Mark your antenna locations with a grease pen so they return the next time to their exact same location. It wouldn't hurt to do a quick calibration check anyway before hunting. Others were riding with me on two hunts and were amazed how quickly we found the fox. No need to get out and take a bearing, then drive some more. Of course if the fox is in the woods, you need to finish the hunt on foot. This Doppler system gets you to the fox, or where you need to start hunting on foot quickly.

Ohhhh, when you park next to the fox, you'll likely be the first one there. Be polite and move your vehicle out of sight so others can still hunt it on their own. If they see your vehicle sitting next to the fox, it ruins it for them :)

I am very happy to own and use this Doppler DF system!

K6RBS Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Very good product for serious T hunters.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I regularly participate in the local 2M T hunt which is becoming more competitive every month. The hides are more creative and many of the hunters have rotatable 4 ele quads on their vehicle roofs as well as sniffers etc. The boundaries are wide and there are no rules about where one can start – distance travelled doesn’t matter – just who finds the T first hides it next month.

Last year I hunted with a friend who had a DF2020T I knew at once I had to own one. I really liked its ability to plot the bearings on Google Earth.

I bought the DF2020T "kit" along with the GPS for a total of $399.
Calling it a kit is misleading. It comes fully assembled except that one has to stick a decal on the front of the control unit, push the power switch into place and put in 4 screws.

The one thing missing are the whip antennas (it comes with bases and magnets). I got 4 with BNC connectors from High Sierra (www.hamcq.com) for $12 each.
This is version 2.0 of the DF2020T and it uses 4 antennas. The prior version (1.2) used 5 and my understanding is the change to 4 increased the sensitivity. In addition to the antennas, you will also need to supply an HT or scanner.

Setup is simple. Connect it to the cigarette lighter and an HT with the supplied cables. Then connect the antenna control cable, put the antennas on your vehicle roof and adjust the lengths so they are slightly less than 1/4 wave and space them just under 1/8 wave from the center antenna module.

One thing to note, not all speaker connections to HTs are the same. The supplied cable works fine with Icom and Kenwood HTs but it caused my Yeasu FT60 to go into transmit mode. And that’s something else to remember... set the PTT lock on your HT before connecting it to the DF2020T to avoid the risk of frying the PIN diodes in the 4 antenna modules if you TX accidentally.

To calibrate it you will need a small flat-head screw driver to adjust the trimmer through a hole on the top of the control unit and a friend with an HT on low power to walk around the vehicle and transmit on the T frequency. Turn up the volume on the HT until the DF2020T starts to display the bearing and then adjust the trimmer until the direction indicator points at your buddy holding the HT.

Calibration took a few minutes and afterwards it gave consistent bearings within a few degrees.
To get the most out of the DF2020T, you can add the optional GPS unit, connect your laptop and, assuming you have mobile internet access (e.g. via tethering a phone), you can plot your tracks and bearing on Google Earth. I tried this setup with my friend’s system. While it worked, it obviously required a partner to operate the computer while mobile and it took some practice to become proficient with the software. So for my first hunt with my new DF2020T, I didn't bother with the GPS or the computer.

I can report that first real test of the DF2020T was a success. The T was low powered and quite well screened from out start point. Although we were able to get a good bearing with a 5 ele beam, we could not actually hear it through the DF2020T when we started. As soon as the Doppler heard the T, the display pointed directly at it and we were there within a few minutes - well ahead of all the other hunters. We then discovered that the antenna on the T was horizontally polarized – this explains the low signal strength on the DF2020T’s vertical antennas.

The only negative I have to say about the DF2020T is lack of sensitivity but I think that true for similar Doppler systems. One suggestion someone made was to add a pre-amp - I plan to try that and will update this review with my findings.

The manual claims that it will work from 100 MHz to 1000 MHz.

I tried it on 6M with the whips fully extended and spaced as far apart as the cables would allow and it seemed to work fine.