Reviews Categories | Direction Finding equipment | KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T Help

Reviews Summary for KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T
KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399
Description: DF2020T Radio Direction Finder kit requires minimum assembly for 10~15 Minutes
The Stealth DDF2020T/GPS is an economical but very sophisticated Doppler Direction Finder with GPS and can connect a PC or Laptop, to position and draw plots on GoogleEarthTM display window accompanied with “Navi 2020” plotting program.

More info: http://kn2c.us/

You can write your own review of the KN2C Radio Direction Finder DF2020T.

K6RBS Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Very good product for serious T hunters.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I regularly participate in the local 2M T hunt which is becoming more competitive every month. The hides are more creative and many of the hunters have rotatable 4 ele quads on their vehicle roofs as well as sniffers etc. The boundaries are wide and there are no rules about where one can start – distance travelled doesn’t matter – just who finds the T first hides it next month.

Last year I hunted with a friend who had a DF2020T I knew at once I had to own one. I really liked its ability to plot the bearings on Google Earth.

I bought the DF2020T "kit" along with the GPS for a total of $399.
Calling it a kit is misleading. It comes fully assembled except that one has to stick a decal on the front of the control unit, push the power switch into place and put in 4 screws.

The one thing missing are the whip antennas (it comes with bases and magnets). I got 4 with BNC connectors from High Sierra (www.hamcq.com) for $12 each.
This is version 2.0 of the DF2020T and it uses 4 antennas. The prior version (1.2) used 5 and my understanding is the change to 4 increased the sensitivity. In addition to the antennas, you will also need to supply an HT or scanner.

Setup is simple. Connect it to the cigarette lighter and an HT with the supplied cables. Then connect the antenna control cable, put the antennas on your vehicle roof and adjust the lengths so they are slightly less than 1/4 wave and space them just under 1/8 wave from the center antenna module.

One thing to note, not all speaker connections to HTs are the same. The supplied cable works fine with Icom and Kenwood HTs but it caused my Yeasu FT60 to go into transmit mode. And that’s something else to remember... set the PTT lock on your HT before connecting it to the DF2020T to avoid the risk of frying the PIN diodes in the 4 antenna modules if you TX accidentally.

To calibrate it you will need a small flat-head screw driver to adjust the trimmer through a hole on the top of the control unit and a friend with an HT on low power to walk around the vehicle and transmit on the T frequency. Turn up the volume on the HT until the DF2020T starts to display the bearing and then adjust the trimmer until the direction indicator points at your buddy holding the HT.

Calibration took a few minutes and afterwards it gave consistent bearings within a few degrees.
To get the most out of the DF2020T, you can add the optional GPS unit, connect your laptop and, assuming you have mobile internet access (e.g. via tethering a phone), you can plot your tracks and bearing on Google Earth. I tried this setup with my friend’s system. While it worked, it obviously required a partner to operate the computer while mobile and it took some practice to become proficient with the software. So for my first hunt with my new DF2020T, I didn't bother with the GPS or the computer.

I can report that first real test of the DF2020T was a success. The T was low powered and quite well screened from out start point. Although we were able to get a good bearing with a 5 ele beam, we could not actually hear it through the DF2020T when we started. As soon as the Doppler heard the T, the display pointed directly at it and we were there within a few minutes - well ahead of all the other hunters. We then discovered that the antenna on the T was horizontally polarized – this explains the low signal strength on the DF2020T’s vertical antennas.

The only negative I have to say about the DF2020T is lack of sensitivity but I think that true for similar Doppler systems. One suggestion someone made was to add a pre-amp - I plan to try that and will update this review with my findings.

The manual claims that it will work from 100 MHz to 1000 MHz.

I tried it on 6M with the whips fully extended and spaced as far apart as the cables would allow and it seemed to work fine.