Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Hardrock-50 HF+6M Solid State Amplifier Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Hardrock-50 HF+6M Solid State Amplifier Kit
Hardrock-50 HF+6M Solid State Amplifier Kit Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $260.00
Description: Based on Jim Veatch's winning ARRL Home Brew Challenge II amplifier design, it's been improved and functionality has been expanded to include a new aluminum enclosure with built in heat sink, an LCD display, pre-soldered SMT components, computer control options, software upgradeable, easier to use connectors, and MORE. All software is open source and the unit hackable, including an accessible I2C header to add your own peripherals.

Kit includes 4 PCBs (3 without .5W driver) with all surface mount components professionally installed using a reflow process. Builder only needs to install through hole components; toroidal inductors, relays, transistors, connectors, etc. Also includes professionally machined case with integral heat-sink, all chassis mount components, interconnects and instruction/assembly manual. Supports auto band select (depending on transceiver) and can be driven with 0.5 watts.
More info: http://www.hobbypcb.com

You can write your own review of the Hardrock-50 HF+6M Solid State Amplifier Kit.

WD8JWJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love to build things and this was right up my alley. The Hardrock50 is a great little amp. I opted for the ATU and glad I did. The two work flawlessly. Mine is hooked up to my KX3 and band changes are piece of cake. Change the KX3 and the amp changes right along with it. It has a nice display giving you swr, watts out, and bar graph of how your driving the amp, plus much more.
The build instructions are easy to follow and makes for an easy build. Hats off to Jim Veatch, WA2EUJ, for a well designed and thought out Amplifier and ATU kit.
73, bill, WD8JWJ

G3VNH Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Addition of internal ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I endorse all previous comments on the Hardrock 50 amplifier. I have a Revision F amplifier (s/n 12**) and have now added the Hardrock 50 internal ATU.
I modified the original board for full output on 60m. This requires changing 3 SMD capacitors on the board and adding two further SMD capacitors. This mod was easily accomplished and now gives 50 W output on 60m.
The amplifier is wired to my KX3 and automatically band changes. The amp is used standalone on the LF bands and is used as a driver for my SPE 1K-FA linear to give 400 W output (the UK legal limit) on 20m and above. The entire system is run using Win4KSuite software by VA2FSQ along with the integration of DXLab. A really great operating system.

Peter G3VNH

KD0MOA Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2014 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Fun unit to build.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

It has been a long time since I build a kit, it was fun and easy to follow instructions. It is a very good unit and the ATU is almost as good as the Elecraft KX3 ATU. The set up is very easy.

John
KD0MOA

W4RQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 07:30 Send this review to a friend
5 Stars! Amp & ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I concur with other builders, this is everything that the reviewers here claim it to be. It is a 5 Star addition to my KX-3 station. I want to say Jim Veatch provides the best Customer Service and Tech Support that I have ever experienced!
I haven't built a real kit in many years and I thoroughly enjoyed the build, including winding my own Toroids and Transformers,
Jim was very responsive and helpful. His guarantee of a working build is golden!

KK4ZP Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2014 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Using the Hardrock-50 amp and new ATU with my KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just wanted to comment on how effortless it is to operate digital modes with the HR50 following DXLab Commander via the secondary CAT port, or following the KX3 via its ACC1

In both cases the HR50 ATU tunes my OCFD in a snap upon band changes and I can run my KX3 at .4 or .5 watts and get 10 -15 watts out of the amp. that is usually more than I need.

Even though I probably worry too much about it, I carefully watch the temperature of the HR50 when using the key-down mode like JT65.

I am having a blast with this set up, and highly recommend it. The ATU tunes my OCFD to SWR of 1.6 or less on 80-10m. Even when I want to use my KX3 without the amp, the QRP mode allows the ATU to tune the antenna.

I usually work QRP but it is nice to have the amp when I want to operate with a few more watts without heating up the KX3.

Russ
KK4ZP

W4RQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Good News for KX-3 owners  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I found it easy to build this amp kit.
Winding the transformers was easy, it just took a little time, and the rest of the build was a piece of cake. The amp follows band changes of the KX-3 and gives 50 watts out with about 3 watts input.
In October the new internal ATU Kit will be shipping and my preorder is placed at the introductory price, a savings of $40.
At half the price of a KXA100, I am a Happy Camper. Jim's customer service is far above any I have ever seen, and the amp works flawlessly with my KX-3.

AG6QR Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2014 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Good amp, great support, sturdy mechanical construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The mechanics of this kit have changed a little bit since earlier versions (reviewed here). There is no longer any need to drill holes; the heat sink comes pre-drilled and tapped, which makes the mechanical construction easy. The case is rugged, solid bare aluminum, sturdy and nice looking. The heat sink is nicely over-engineered.

All of the SMT devices are pre-installed, and that includes nearly all the resistors and capacitors. What's left for you to do is mostly inductors, connectors, and relays, along with the power transistors. There are quite a few toroids to wind, and a handful of binocular transformers to wind and mount.

I did have one glitch when I went to check out the amp. Jim provided quick help on the support forum. One of the pre-installed SMT chips wasn't soldered perfectly, and I had to touch up a solder joint with my soldering iron. If I had been unable or unwilling to do that, I could have mailed the amp back and he would have gotten it working, but it wasn't hard to do myself. Judging by the support forum traffic, I don't think my problem was typical, but the good support is typical, regardless of whether the problem was caused by the purchaser/builder or the kit maker.

I now have an amp that puts out 50+ Watts on all HF bands, plus about 35-40W on 6m, and it requires only about 1.8W of input drive. I got the optional QSK board for CW, which works very well (my CW speeds are moderate). I've set it up to automatically switch bands, following my KX3 as it's tuned.

For a KX3 owner especially, there's an inevitable comparison with the Elecraft KXPA100. I'm sure that is a very fine product, well-integrated with the KX3. The Hardrock is about half of the KXPA100 in many ways: half the power, half the weight, half the physical volume, and half the cost (if you get both in kit form with QSK and no tuner these days). It offers a kit building experience that lets you get your soldering iron hot, if you like that sort of thing. I do enjoy kit building, and this is a good value, with excellent support and a solid finished product.

N5RWK Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amp for KX3  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this kit in order to get a bit more power for my Elecraft KX3 transceiver, but did not want to spend the money to get a KXPA100. While I'm sure the KXPA100 is an excellent amp, the Hardrock-50 is less than half the price, and the idea of building it from a kit was appealing.

This was my first build of an amp, but was not difficult. My build went smoothly, except I managed to over-wind a couple of coils by not paying close enough attention to the instructions. I initially had low power output on 80m and 160m, so I checked the coils and sure enough I had wound too many loops. Fortunately removing coil loops is easy to fix, and now the amp works perfectly.

I made a couple of minor mods to the kit to make it easier to connect it to the KX3, substituting 50-ohm BNC connectors for the SO-239's. I also swapped the location of the input and output jacks to ease cable management.

I'm having a blast using the Hardrock-50 with my KX3...running barefoot with the KX3 on SSB required patience, but with amp at 50W making contacts is easy. Using a resonant antenna makes tuning unnecessary, and the auto-bandswitch functionality works well with the KX3. The band coverage matches the KX3 nicely (160-6m).

Overall, this is a great product!

N0MEU Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2014 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not an experienced builder...last kit I built was 30ish years ago. I found the HR-50 kit
to be a straight forward and very enjoyable project with great instructions and fantastic support available from
Jim WA2EUJ. I did opt to purchase the prewound toroids from The Toroid Guy.

I'm using the HR-50 with my KX3 was my main station. I built the cable which connects serial comms and PTT from
the KX3 to the HR-50 accessory port. The HR-50 automatically follows the KX3 band changes!

Overall I'm extremely pleased and definitley recommend the HR-50!

N0AAH Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun again Kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Long cry from old heathkits...great little amp that does what it is suppose to do...intermediate build, no surface mounts! Simple to follow directions...and service from Jim!!!! Well, it is the best on the market..Put some fun back in your life and build one!!