Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Ventenna VT-27 2M/440 Dual Band Help

Reviews Summary for Ventenna VT-27 2M/440 Dual Band
Ventenna VT-27 2M/440 Dual Band Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $102.
Description: Vent pipe antenna for 2M/440 Dual-Band Antenna (VT-27). Slides over your existing home plumbing vent pipe and is between 19-36" in height and is used for areas that does not like aerial antenna's or for concealment operations. Out of the box operations SWR is marginal. Use of antenna tuner like MFJ-922 will enhance it's operations.
More info: http://www.ventenna.com

You can write your own review of the Ventenna VT-27 2M/440 Dual Band.

K5JAX Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2007 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a VT-14 2 meter antenna from a friends estate. I found a problem with it and contacted the manufacturer. They answered my email about some strange readings I found with the antenna. I told them it definitely had a problem and they confirmed it. They replied that they would replace/repair it if I sent it in to them. They fixed it and emailed me about what they found and said it was on it's way back. Great people to buy from.
I am anxious to get back and install it.

KPAX1 Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2007 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Great item!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna seems to work well in areas where CCR rules are enforced. I saw this item on the net and thought, "hey I could make one of those."
$84.00 for a piece of ABS pipe?
I went to Home Depot and purchased a 4 ft. length
of 2" ABS and mounted a $10.00 100W Moldor 144/440 mag mount antenna purchased on eBay inside using 2 zip ties. (Had to drill a couple a of holes in the $2 ABS pipe)I then slipped it over an existing vent on top of my 2 story. Fit great. Ran the cable to my radio and was surprised at the performance. Good idea but can be home brewed for about $15 if you already have a lenght of cable.
These boys have a great idea here if you want to spend the money.
73'

K6BLA Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2005 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antennas.. or is it "antennae"?  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ventenna is a clever idea that works well! I have a 2m/440 copper j-pole, but these units seem to outperform it.

I have several of them on my house for various bands and one scanner. It takes longer to get up and down the ladder than it does to install the unit over a vent pipe. My only problem is not having enough real vents to put them over.

Couple years ago, a friend was helping me install three Ventenna units. He was on the roof, I was on the ladder. My neighbor could see us over the fence, and asked "Hi, what are you guys doing?" My friend thought fast and said, "We're, uh, extending the piping on his exhaust vents!" "Oh.. well, they look good!"

I'm in a restricted neighborhood, and my neighbor was on the enforcement committee of our association. (c8=

Scott K6BLA

KC2OJN Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2005 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my dual band (VT-27)VHF/UHF Ventenna in July since I live in a restricted community. I was concerned about installation, but it
was a breeze. This antenna is fantastic! I am getting reports of full quieting on most repeaters in my area around Philly. I am
hearing repeaters that I could not receive in the past. I would recommend the Ventenna to anyone living in an antenna-restricted
community, or who want to keep a low profile, antenna wise.

Come on Ventenna guys.... we need you to work on one that will do HF and still be "invisible" on our rooftops! You can do it!

Many thanks for a great product. If our USA government agencies use it, I am proud to also have it on my rooftop!
Harry

Harry / KC2OJN

KI4FRU Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2004 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Great small antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Ventenna because I live in a development that does not allow outside antennas.

There is a short (about 18-24 inch) pigtail of RG-58 coax cable no connector on it coming from the side of the Ventenna near the bottom. I connected a BNC connector to that, and ran it to the transceiver.

The Ventenna performs very well, it requires no tuning or cutting. I have been able to hit repeaters ~25 miles away using the .5 watt setting . I have the antenna about 25 feet in the air, right on top of the roof. No one has complained about any interference, along with the neighborhood "watchers" have not said anything about an antenna being there

N6SEX Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2003 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, great application  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without question, this is the funnest antenna I have ever owned. Performance on it is more than adequate, but, what really makes it great are the applications that it can be used for. I got my first Ventenna for a portable uhf repeater with 2m remote base. Both uhf & vhf going through the ventenna! I was initially interseted in the Ventenna because of the size and durability which was well suited for portable operation. However I was really sold on the product after corresponding with their tech support. What knowledgable good-natured common-sense service. It can't be beat. Only problem I've encountered is now I need another Ventenna for my parent's house due to CCR. Please be warned: This product is addicting!!! Don't make the mistake that I made ..buy at least two, one is only half the fun.
..John N6SEX

KE6NTQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2002 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Best Weapon against the Evil CC&R and Home Owner Associations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In my townhome in Southern california we have CCR and homeowner association that does not allow any type of antenna outside. I decided to get a Ventenna when i saw it advertised in the HRO catalog. Picked it up at the local HRO shop and opened it up....My first thought was "Hey i could of made this myself....doesnst look like much to it". Well, without breaking it apart, theres no way to know the internal makeup becuase there is a internal sleeve that covers it up. I placed it on the roof of my town home and ran coax through a air vent. Spray painted it to match the roof. I did have problems with high SWR at first and it also set off my smoke detectors if i transmitted on anything higher than about 25 watts. I emailed the Ventenna Company and wrote right back suggesting that its possible that i got a bad one. They offered to replace it without me even asking...imagine that! I decided to move the coax around in the attic and waallaa...my SWR came down to the advertised numbers....and havent had a problem since. My smoke detectors go off still if i use high power but ive found that other antennas in my attic do the same thing. I love my ventenna and highly recommend it. You cant go wrong and it is nieghbor friendly. My homeowner spys have not figured it out yet! I plan on using it at my new house ill be moving into at the end of the month and it doesnt even have antenna restrictions.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2002 14:21 Send this review to a friend
CC&Rs - HAH!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We have Squirrels who think our roof is a freeway so I was dubious about leaving coax lying on my roof. They have been know to chew off phone wire drops in our area. So, I cut off the connector and pulled the coax back through the hole. A little Black RTV sealed up the hole. I put a black ABS cap on the top to seal up the hole. I had a vent stack put in that is actually not connected to anything in the attic. This allows me to attach a coax jumper to the antenna and keep it all within the roofline. There is absolutely no clue that this is not a vent pipe. Performance is good and I can access repeaters that had not been reachable with the same rig attached to my mobile antenna.

A definite good buy!!

KG4RWM Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2002 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I purchased the 2 meter/440 MHz dual band model. It is about 36 inches long, and is made of 2 inch black colored PVC pipe. This gives it an outside diameter of 2 1/2 inches. The instructions tell you to slip it over an existing toilet vent pipe, and tighten the set screws. Well, here in south Florida, our toilet vents are called “lead stacks” and mine has an outside diameter of three inches. I have never seen a toilet vent pipe that this Ventenna would fit on without some modification. So, I got a short length of three-inch PVC pipe, and a coupling, and a three inch to two inch bushing to adapt the Ventenna to fit on the three inch PVC. I then slipped the three inch PVC pipe, to which I added some set screws, over the lead stack vent pipe, and tightened the set screws down. I painted the whole thing a dark grey color.

There is a short (about 18-24 inch) pigtail of RG-58 coax cable with an SO-239 connector coming from the side of the Ventenna near the bottom. I connected my coax to that, and ran it to the transceiver.

The Ventenna performs very well, it requires no tuning or cutting. My previous antenna setup was a dual band mag mount antenna sitting on a metal file cabinet in my radio room. The Ventenna is a great improvement over that arrangement. They are also available in single band VHF/UHF models, 220 MHz, and a scanner model.

I would recommend this antenna for anyone who lives in an area where outside antennas are restricted or not allowed.

KC2HOQ Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2001 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Ventenna - worked the ISS with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used this antenna with an ICOM-746 to work Susan Helms in the ISS on 05/09/2001 at 07:44 EDT on their pass overhead to the west of my location in New Jersey. I was very surprised when Susan came back to my call and reported a "loud and clear". I had been listening on many occasions and had only heard "packet" signals. This time though, she was on the air and had a very good signal (S 5-9).
I've had this Ventenna now for several months and it has worked great. I have a Diamond 2 and 70 cm SWR dual meter hooked up to this and my ICOM. Across the 2-meter band I get no worse than a 1.5:1 reading. Most of the SWR readings in the middle of the band are 1.2:1. On 70 cms the SWR is also very good. I like this Ventenna and recommend it highly.