Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | MFJ ClearTone 281 Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ ClearTone 281 Speaker
MFJ ClearTone 281 Speaker Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $12.95
Description: Communication Speaker
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-281

You can write your own review of the MFJ ClearTone 281 Speaker.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2013 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Good value for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
The two words that come to my mind and I see in other reviews: crisp and clear. Period.

No it's not "Hi-Fi" quality, don't think it was designed with that in mind. If thats what you are looking for, you probably already know this ain't it. I picked this up as kind of experiment. I mounted on the wall behind my operating position. Have used it in all my rigs and have found that it just "works". I run mostly CW and will have the rig on in the backround "reading the mail" (a term from the old days). When I am in my serious operating mode I put on a good set of headphones. With good filtering in the rig it performs well. All in all a decent product.

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these to mount in my Miata roadster that I drive most of the time with the top down. What else are rag tops for??
I could not hear the FT-7900 speaker well above 45 MPH or so with the wind buffeting and such.
I mounted the speaker up high between the seats next to my ear and the difference is unbelievable.
I can be at 70 MPH and hear the transmissions very clearly now without any problems.
Of note I tried it in the house with my FT-950 and the stock speaker in it is superior to the MFJ 281.
But I think for a mobile speaker this is a very good value.

KK4AH Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's cheap but for the money it works very well with my IC-7000! I use it in the mobile and have no problems with this little speaker. The only thing bad I can say about it is the bracket is very weak but once mounted no issue, can you buy better sure but for the money it is a very good sounding speaker.

KB4MTO Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2011 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Great communications Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually won this speaker as a raffle prize at an ARES meeting. I wasn't expecting much, but I was very surprised when I plugged it into my Yaesu FT-897D. The audio is loud, very crisp, and very clear. For my radio gear, I do not want full range Hi-Fi sound, I want crisp, clear, and loud. This speaker provides that sound from a sturdy, well made speaker. And it really helps me hear weaker HF SSB signals.

In my opinion, the best sounding speakers for VHF/UHF FM have always been Motorola speakers, especially the old Metal ones. I am happy to say that this MFJ 281 sounds as good as the Motorola's.

NC4DK Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2010 20:25 Send this review to a friend
It's a $12.95 Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 281 for about four years and have had it mounted for use with a remote head mount in two vehicles. The internal speaker is out of range. I have had zero problems with clarity or volume. People keep trying to compare it with speakers designed for CW, SSB, and more. This is a mobile speaker. Of course there are higher quality speakers on the market. But for what it's designed for, this is the best bang for the buck. I just bought a second 281 for use with an Icom 2720 with dual receive. For the price point, I'll use them every time.

N8FXH Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Liked my first one that I bought four years ago so much I bought a second one. They both work better than the old Yaesu SP 102 they replaced. One of better things MFJ makes and is definitely not CB Junk.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Speaker !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine back 2001 when i first got into ham radio,i love that how it sounded no noises at all.

Jackie
N4MJG
Tullahoma,Tn
WWW.N4MJG.COM

KB5WVK Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2009 21:43 Send this review to a friend
CB Junk?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going to say it was just a CB speaker, but the ones that my buddy has from the truck stop actually sound better. I will stick with my homebrew.

K2TJR Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Guess I don't "get it"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So many reviews complaining about tinny sound, high frequencys amplified, not HiFi quality etc.

Heeeelllloooo...It was designed that way! It's the very reason I bought it!

I heard this speaker in use by a HAM who I was assiting as net control for our local ARES group. I could not believe how clear and sharp this speaker sounded! When you are Net control you better be able to hear clearly. I just knew this was the speaker I needed in my convertable. The sound cuts right thru the noise so well I can operate with the top down @65 MPH no problem.

I am older (55) but my hearing is still good...maybe not as sensitive to the high frequencies as some other reviewers here who are offended by the clarity. But I just had to say...it was designed to be very clear at the sacrifice of some midrange and low. Get over it or buy something else. It hardly rates a 1 or 2.

K7UA Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2009 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Good for what it is  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I installed a new 2M FM mobile with a detachable control head. The rig is under my truck seat. I couldn't hear the rig's internal speaker with any highway noise. I had a limited space for a speaker. I saw a MFJ 281 at the local ham dealer. I bought it because of the size and price - just as an experiment. I didn't expect much from it, but it worked out ok in this application. Not hifi quality, but ok for what it is. I bought another one to use on an old boat anchor receiver. Its ok, especially for the low price.