Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom ID-51A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom ID-51A
Icom ID-51A Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $629.95
Description: Dstar VHF/UHF Handheld tranceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom ID-51A.

PA3HGT Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2013 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Good but....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little HT is improvement on several terrains with the IC92 which i had for a year:It's smaller,easier to use then the 92 and i love the display.

First I have to remark that the TX-audio was very poor what can't be happen of a expensive HT in my humble opinion.
Sounds like a muffled audio and it's the same as the ID31 which had earlier reports of bad audio.
Don't understand that Icom has solved that problem in the ID51.
I had the worsted audio-reports ever:you get a baofeng?Are you in a bucket,You're not PA3HGT.
When the IC92 has a good audio with the same IPX7 certification then i don't understand the problem with the ID31/51 because that's the problem with the muffled audio.
When potential buyers hear that poor audio then they will be scared to get a ID51.
First i was playing with bass and treble in the menu but was not helping me further so had to open up the ID51.
I had to remove a ring and a membrame to get a more proper audio.For your understanding: the audio goes to 2 membrames.
Info about that can be found in the usefull Yahoo-usersgroup.
Now it's sounds much better.
ID51 has CPU 1.01 DSP 1.00 out of the box.

Second: you get with the ID51, CS51-software but not the cable to program the ID51,sounds like you get a new car with wheels but not the bolts to mount it.
You can make a RS232-programcable for 10% of the cost of the expensive USB-cable.
Schematics can be found on the Yahoo-users group and maybe elsewhere.

Like the silicone jacket SJ1 and the rapidcharger BC202 which can be ordered and i have replaced the antenna for a Diamond SRH701 which performs better then the Icom-antenna.
It's a pity that ICFfiles of the IC92/ID31/ID51 are not compatible with eachother.
GPS: is very sensitive! I get still indoor a lock on GPS.
The menu to set the ID51 for you own taste is good to work with,specially the quickmenu.
Sound of reception for HAM-use is very good and the broadcastreception is almost "hifi" for such small speaker.
Overall is the ID51 not feeling cheap and is the construction durable in my opinion.

It's that i loved the display and that the ID51 is a small HT otherwise i was give it a 3 to needs help.

73,Hans,PA3HGT

www.pa3hgt.nl

ON4KVK Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 09:27 Send this review to a friend
hard to beat !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I jut bought this transceiver two days ago. I wanted to go digital since a long time, but didn't find a transceiver that matched "all" my requirements. This device does it all. I was on the air in one hour after the purchase. The Icom logic is different from Yaesu and Kenwood, but staight forward. (This is my first Icom). I'm looking forward to the 7100 to come out in April as I want to replace my "old" Yaesu FT 897 by a HF/VHF/UHF + D-star transceiver.

In a few weeks, once I've explored more of the almost endless possibilities of this little gem, I will post a second review.

PD1ABK Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 02:56 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine ID 51 E about 2 weeks ago. Having experience with the ID 31 E no problems with the settings. It's very easy to scroll through the menu. Programming also just as easy as ID 31E or 880 E on the computer.
Gps fix very quick, even in house.
Frequency coverage: strange that the E version has no extended RX frequency coverage (108-174, 380-479) which is normal nowadays in VHF/UHF equipment. Fortunately this is an easy modification which can be done by your supplier.
Audio: unfortunately same problem with the TX audio as the ID 31E. TX audio sounds muffled and not clear. You can adjust the TX en RX audio in the menu but this in not enough.
This problem is caused by the rubber membrane in front of the microphone. Strange that ICOM did not learn from the ID 31E problems and repeated the mishap.
You can use an external mike or remove the membrane. Doing the latter will void your warranty!
Also the batterylife of the supplied battery is due to the bigger display shorter than the ID 31E.
Hopefully ICOM will improve the items above.
Like to rate this new ICOM 51 E: 4,5
All in all some almost perfect.

PD1ABK

KA0BBQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2013 09:22 Send this review to a friend
D-STAR Dual Band Handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This transceiver is absolutely my all time favorite out of the box - well with one exception...

The Negative - TX Audio appeares muffeled due to the water tight submerssion membrane over the microphone. Some early adopters have opted to MOD (remove) the membrane which clears up the audio 10 fold, however the second round of units being distributed are reported to have clear audio with a software update from CPU Version 1.00 DSP 1.00 to CPU Version 1.01 DSP 1.00

The Positive - Everything there is to love about the radio starts right out of the box. It took a total of 5 minutes without having used the radio or the ID-31 to program in my amateur radio call sign and TX message, figure out how to turn on the Internal GPS and obtain a Satellite Fix, and then using the DR button locate my nearest D-STAR Repearter and get on the air... 5 Minutes. OK I cheated... waiting for the radio I downloaded the Advanced Manual and started reading the manual. OK I'm a guy and were not suppose to do that RIGHT!... but this manual is some 600+ pages of well written information unlike most ICOM (Japanese in general) Manuals. The radio menus are pretty intuitive. Some menus don't appear unless your in a specific menu area such as the DSTAR To or From fields highlighted in black on the right hand side of the screen. That was a bit confusing at first when I knew I saw a menu item, but where did it go? I'm getting older and the short term memory has something to be desired.

FEATURES - If being able to find the nearest D-STAR Rpearter to operate from with a couple of button presses isn't cool I don't know what is. You will find the DR Button takes you to a selection list of Repearter List / Near Repearter / TX History and with the press of a center button your almost there. A couple of presses and your talking!

Memory Storage - up to 32GB on a removeable microSD card. My initial 8GB card I had lying around is able to hold over 130 hours of .wav files. What do you do with it? Well for one you have the initial ID-51 folder and 8 subfolders. This is why you want to format the card when you first put it in the radio to create the folders which include GPS|QsoLog|Reply|RxLog|Setting|Voice|VoiceRec|VoiceTX
Are you starting to see the logging capabilities. You not only can record all the routing data of each transmission like UR Call, Rpt1 Rpt2 etc. but you can record the actual voice transmissions of both transmit and receive. I recorded a one hour net and it only took up about 20 minutes acutal recording time or about 7MB... I still have 7,502.6MB left! Also stored on the microSD card are all of your settings in the .icf format. So you could have numerous files stored and upload various files depending on the way you wanted to operate. That gets us to the Repeater List. Yes it's stored in a folder too... some 700 Repeaters can be stored, but you say what if there are 1500 repeaters worldwide, I want them all... so be it, just organize them in regions or zones and create different repeater lists... like a Favorites, Western Hemisphere, Eastern Hemisphere etc. Then when you want to access a certin area just upload that to be your current list. You could have hundreds of lists just on a 8GB card and you can use upto 32GB's.
GPS - Ok what can you expect from this bad little boy... I have two older Garmin GPS and this is the only one of the three that gets satellite fixes in my basement... I'm talking locks on twice as fast and to 7 or more satellites in seconds... frankly I don't understand that one. But the radio has a crumb trail feature (GPS Logging) that can be set to various lengths to lets say log your hike down trails to later load into a computer mapping program. You can also have it capture points of interests. It has ICOM Headquarters, Dayton Hamcon, several mountains which you can obtain bering and range from. Well I live in Colorado! I loaded in all the well known front range mountain peaks, Denver skyscrapers, friends QTH's into the GPS Memory for obtaining range and berings. OK, so you say big deal... I thought it was cool!
Then what about having a seperate AM / FM Broadcast Receiver and memory banks to store tons of station calls and frequencies. You can listen to your favorite broadcast until a amateur radio call comes in and it captures the call. Since this is dual band receive you can listen to two V/V V/U U/U bands and as a kicker throw in WX Monitoring too... just remember it chops about every 5 seconds when it take one channel for a few mseconds. OH, you want to listen to aviation... you have the ability to listen there too... with the additional 8.33KHz steps in the AM Band.

So whats cool about this radio... lets take a hike, and set my radio GPS On, Auto Position Reply on, Digital Call Sign Squelch on and head to the trails. OOppsss I fell down a ravine and can't get up! My ham buddies knew I went on a hike because you always file a trip plan right... well I'm unconcious but my DSTAR Radio is just waiting to be called using my call sign and it responds with my current or last known GPS fix remotely obtained by the calling station. That feature could be a real life saver!

I like this radio. Hands down the easiest high tech radio since crystal channels to program. ICOM provides some programming software with the radio but you still have to buy a programming cable so don't bother, contact RTSystems and obtain the ICOM ID-51A Software and programming cable, it's is much more intuitive and works well with their other software to transfer from your exisiting DSTAR radios into the ID-51A.

Pricey? I have paid almost twice the cost of this radio for a GPS Receiver alone. It's both Analog and Digital VHF / UHF Transceiver. And it out performs my ICOM ID-92A Hands down!

This is a solid GREAT! radio in my opinion.

Barry
KA0BBQ
W0CDS B

ZL1TAP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Icoms latest DStar Handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased as an upgrade to my ID-92 and my ID-31.
If you know how to program the ID-31 you will
have no problems programming the ID-51.
Much easier than the ID-92 to use and program.
Has AM-FM broadcast radio. The larger display
is easier to see than the ID-31 and on the air
I have had good audio reports with just the
handheld and a lapel mic.
Speaker on radio is good but would have been
nice to have stereo plug on side of rig to
listen to FM radio as does the VX-8r Yaesu.
I will still give it a five out of five for a
radio I've had only two days.