Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-415B CW BOARD Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-415B CW BOARD
MFJ-415B CW BOARD Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $55 +/-
Description: After purchase add-on cw board for MFJ-9420 and MFJ-9440 SSB QRP radios.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-415B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-415B CW BOARD.

KB8ASO Rating: 0/5 Apr 5, 2013 05:18 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Quality control issues again  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I received my board the cw sidetone was sounding all the time. I found a bad transistor controlling the sounder that they use to generate the sidetone. One trace was broken on the 40/20 meter selector jumper. I ask WHAT QUALITY CONTROL was there? The board had a little round paper Q.C. sticker with someone’s initials on it. What a joke. There was no way that anyone tested or even looked at the board once it was assembled. I have seen products from China with much better quality control than this. When the board is repaired and working it has held up and works OK and for that I would give it a 3.5, but the Q.C. issues qualify for a big fat zero.

KI0AD Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Quality issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my 9440 about 2 months ago, Then I decided to purchase and install the 415 cw adapter. The first thing I noticed was that only 2 of the mounting screws were there then I noticed that the front edge of the board was damaged. Figured I could make the thing work so opened up the radio and to my dismay the front 2 mounting pins were gone and never installed. I had heard the MFJ has some quality controll issues and I will give them the benefit of dought. The radios are really good but both my 9420 and 9440 had QC problems. Something they can work on.

KF7RCM Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice add-on  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The only reason I gave it a 4 is because you still need a keyer for iambic mode. Other than that I really like it. Fortunatly MFJ decided to put everything in the radio to readily accept the board with a minimum of fuss. I have heard hams complain about the side tone. I dont think it is all that bad. However, I did install an interruptor switch to shut it off when I wish. (MFJ should make this part of the kit.) MFJ put a jumper on the board to cut out the CW "speaker" if one wishes. I removed the jumper and installed a toggle switch across the pins, not difficult to do. Otherwise one would have to remove the top to remove/install the jumper. Alignment is easy enough. Used QSO's with willing stations to allow me to do it. You will need non conductive alignment tools. I used a wooden match shaved down to fit. The CW alignment for 20m is just an ordinary flat blade screwdriver. If I get a MFJ-9440 I will be doing this mod to it also. Definatly worthwhile.