Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | KOSS SB45 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Multi-Media Stereophone Help

Reviews Summary for KOSS SB45 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Multi-Media Stereophone
KOSS SB45 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Multi-Media Stereophone Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $36.99
Description: Key Features:
Multimedia headset
Noise-cancelling Clear Voice Technology (CVT)
Premium sound at all volume levels
Anisotropic ferrite magnet structures deliver high
sensitivity and reduced sound distortion
Experience absolute comfort with soft, leatherette ear
cushions
Covered under the Koss Stereophones Limited Lifetime
Warranty
More info: http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/communication_headsets/SB45__SB45_Communication_Headsets

You can write your own review of the KOSS SB45 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Multi-Media Stereophone.

KE0EYJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2017 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Growing on me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have started to grow on me. Seemed a bit bright on receive, at first. I learned to turn the volume down to almost silent, where just the voices pop through. Mic is a bit lacking in bass, but very clear. Happy, for the cost. Radiosport sells ear cup socks that also fit these koss headphones, and will extend ear pad life. Would give a 4.5, if I could.

KE0EYJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 22, 2017 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Not so impressive as I thought they would be  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kind of disappointed in these, mainly on receive. The mic sounds nice, but the receive accentuates the already sharp/noisy highs of my Icom 7300 too much. I get more hiss, and less midrange. I can't say I'm impressed, overall. For now, I'll be going back to the cheap Sony's I've been wearing. Sadly, they don't have a boom mic on them.

I want to add that the Koss headset is made of the same cheap earpad material that my Sony's are (this is my 2nd pair of Sony's). That cheap fake leather material is like thin paper, and after about 2 years, will begin to flake off and stick to your face. I was disappointed in seeing they come with that, also.

WY7CHY Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2016 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Under-rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm fortunate in that money is not a real issue for me. I buy what I want and never worry about the price. I have extremely good hearing, but that makes me need to use NR/NB on my radio. That makes it a bit more difficult to hear the QSO. I was at a friend's house and we were playing some computer games. His wife was complaining to turn down the sound. So my friend let me try his SB-40. I couldn't believe how great the audio was. Especially for a $25 pair of headphones. I researched it for my rig, but I wanted to use it for my ICOM. So the Sb-40 wasn't good because of the dynamic mic. I needed an electret mic. I checked out the SB-45 which has the same headphones, just the mic is basically the only difference. I couldn't be happier. I don't use it on my Yaesu rigs because of the microphone, plus I have some excellent studio mics I use for the yaesu. But for the money; the SB-45 ($25 on amazon) performs as well, or if not better, than my $300 Rode mics. (At least according to QSO contacts). And the speakers in the SB-45, for my hearing and comfort, sound just as good as my Shure and AKG that I use for my Yaesu as well as I use to in my recording studio. There is no doubt, if you have an ICOM radio, and are looking for a headset, definitely buy the SB-45. For $25 you can't go wrong. Obviously you'll need an adapter for the 8 pin icom. You can buy one from from Heil (AD-1-IC) for about $25, or on ebay from K6VHF for $19.99 (Free S/H). Either way; this is a kick-a$$ mic/headset for the ICOM radio.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2015 06:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
BRAND NEW FOR $ 18.50 VERY COMFORTABLE VERY LIGHT EXCELLENT AUDIO

W9BB Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2015 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Good headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Adequate headset. Only nits are cord from headset to radio is very thin and likely to break strands when stressed (not robust). Boom mic flops about, not rigid say like a Heil headset. For the price though, should prove a good unit to have around. If it were a bit "beefier", I would rate it a 5.0.

W4SEX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2015 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
High sensitivity on the headphones means that the volume can be turned down overall. Great adjustable headband too. I have owned many Koss headphones through the years and have been happy with all of them. Highly recommended.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2014 11:07 Send this review to a friend
GOOD BARGAIN HEADSET  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KOSS SB-45 is a real bargain. The SB-45 sounds good and is comfortable to wear over extended operating periods. Microphone audio is good enough. While dropping or tossing this headset around the shack is contraindicated, this headset is well made and durable. What do you expect from a $40 headset?

The electret condenser type microphone capsule is rather "hot" and presents a strong signal to the
rig. You may want to employ an simple attenuator pad, such as is described on Page 64 of the November 2013 QST magazine, which attenuates mic output signal strength to approximate that of a typical performance style dynamic microphone. ICOM and Elecraft users will like it just as it comes as those rigs are designed to use electret condenser capsules.

I contend the SB-45 headset is every bit as good as the popular Yamaha CM-500. Both of these headsets have been used by a successful contest team I sometimes work with, and our operators consider them completely interchangeable.

Good value, solid performance, comfortable over long sessions. Cannot go wrong unless you demand a fancy, expensive broadcast quality headset.

Just My take.... / K8JHR /

K7WXK Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this set for about a week, but the field testing has turned out quite satisfactory. Mind you, this is a very inexpensive headset combo, but it works very well and feels very comfortable. I have worked several hams and their comments to a man were "don't change anything". Good crisp full range audio in the mic, and the phones reproduce the incoming audio as well as any I have previously used. The mic is far more sensitive than the Yaesu MD-1 that I also have teamed up with the FTdx-1200. So far, I'm impressed. You can't ask much more than that.

K2IZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2013 19:00 Send this review to a friend
good set of headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
Big difference between these headphones and the Heil traveler dual. I'm using the Koss headset for the 10m contest, using the Kenwood 480 with CW filters and with the Heil I had the sound between 12 and 1, switched to the Koss and dropped it down to 9 and I was able to hear stations that I couldn't with the Heil. On voice I get reports of a hum on my audio with the Heil but when I switch to the stock hand mic it goes away.

W0FEN Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2013 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for my HF rig. The Microphone is a ELECTRET and needs a supply voltage for operation.
It works great with my 746pro Xcvr.
The reason for Good instead of Great is that the headphones squeeze my head. I will see if there is an adjustment [bending ?].
I get great audio reports using the TX EQ suggested by Heil.