Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Opek HVT-600 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Opek HVT-600 Antenna
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: HVT-600 HIGH PERFORMANCE HF/VHF 10-BAND(1/4λ) MOBILE
COMMUNICATION ANTENNA
FREQ. BANDS 1/4λ DESIGN: 80M(3.7 MHz)/40M(7.05 MHz)/30M(10.1
MHz)
20M(14.15 MHz)/17M(18.2 MHz)/15M(21.1 MHz)/12M(24.95 MHz)/
10M(28.5 MHz)/6M(50.5 MHz)/2M(146 MHz)
200W MAX. POWER HANDLING
USE JUMPER WIRE TO CHANGE FREQ. BAND
LOW VSWR
PL-259 CONNECTION
RETRACTABLE TELESCOPIC WHIP FOR BEST TX/RX TUNING
More info: http://www.opek.com.tw/HVT-600.htm

You can write your own review of the Opek HVT-600 Antenna.

K5BA Rating: 0/5 Feb 25, 2016 11:56 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna a few years ago and could not get it to tune so I put it aside. Now, armed with a MFJ-233 I decided to tackle the problem again. To lay the ground work for my tests I tested the Opek antenna on my vehicle where my 40 meter Ham Stick has been working for years. The first thing I noticed about the Opek antenna is that with no jumper at all it resonates at 3.28 Mhz with the SWR less than 2. Shortening the whip only brings it up to about 3.82 Mhz. On 40 meters regardless where the whip is it resonates around 7.988 Mhz with the whip fully extended so lowering the whip will only raise the resonant point. All the other jump points p1 to p3, p4, p5, etc are so far off that the antenna is useless. I did test it for shorts in the base but found no problem. My other suspicion is the enamel was rubbed off during the construction and some of the windings are shorted. I have seen where other people have had a different experience than mine which suggests my antenna was built by an inexperienced trainee. Since it is too late to return it I am using it as a noise antenna for my MFJ-1026.

VK4KL Rating: 1/5 Oct 14, 2015 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Not happy-Jan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Most expensive dummy load I have ever bought.
Tunes great 1.5:1 on 40 meters according to my SWR bridge and my antenna analyser. In practice I can barely hear a station that is s9+ on my dipole cannot hear on the HVT-600 at all and no one can hear me.

KB2CWN Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2014 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Great info  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was thinking of going portable with my IC706 and had my eye on this antenna for awhile, but after reading these reviews, it seems that its more troublesome to use this as a portable rather than a mobile setup, so I have decided to purchase something from Buddipole. Thanks for all the reviews, they are very helpful!

VE5EDE Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2013 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna...Bizarre Mount  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna works the complete bands from 20m up with no problems. About 125 kHz on 40m and perhaps 25 kHz on 80m. Good contacts when conditions are favourable. It does what it says it does.

Alas, twice I have tapped an overhead tree branch and both times it has nearly destroyed the PL-259 base connector of this antenna. With epoxy, spit and bubblegum I brought about two resurrections. I went out of my way to buy the MFJ triple magnet mobile mount for this antenna with its PL-259. The MFJ mount is great, but this antenna has no flex at the base at all. If you strike a tree branch it might well dent your roof in the process of being destroyed. Not a good mount choice...any day of the week. A better portable antenna than a mobile...

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2013 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to work HF mobile in my truck without the expense of a screwdriver antenna and without the inconvenience of hamsticks. Given the reasonable price of this antenna I thought I try it. I am surprised at how good it works. I use it on 40-6 meters with good results running 100 watts from an FT 450. Once I change jumpers to change bands there is no need to adjust the stinger as the rigs auto-tuner can find a match the transceiver is happy with. I regularly work DX with it particularly on 17 metrs

N2LWE Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the HVT-600 about a month ago because for a long time I've been wanting to set up a portable station so I can take it outside in the summer and work some DX. I purchased the antenna along with a telescopic pole that raises approximately 15 feet with the connection plate supplied on the pole. I also purchased a small radial base. I screwed the radial base (4 radials)to the connection at the top of the pole and screwed the antenna on top of that. I attached a solid copper wire to the screw that holds the plate ontop of the pole. I dug a hole in the flower bed where it won't be seen when not in use and put a PVC pipe in the ground about two feet deep. I stood the pole in the PVC pipe and attached the other end of the solid copper wire to a small (4 foot) section of standard copper piping with a clamp right next to the PVC pipe in the ground. Within five minutes I was making contacts to Italy and Poland on 20 meters from New Jersey. Needless to say I have nothing bad to say about this antenna. I set it up in about five minutes everytime I want to use it and now enjoy doing some DX outside in the summer where I spend a lot of my time. Great antenna!

N8KIM Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2013 19:17 Send this review to a friend
impressive performer for semi truck use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
okay I've only owned this antenna for a few days.
but I couldn't wait to review it based on my first try.
I love the antenna but I am concerned about the tuning as I like to change bands a lot. I suspect that once I do some measurements and keep a chart handy it won't be a problem. first contact was New Mexico from Detroit Michigan on 20 meters, propagation was just okay not great but I was 20 over s9. I believe the performance will be great the construction seems good but I recommend inserting a nylon washer in the so-239 as I have heard others recommend this to prevent accidental grounding of the center connector. I also replaced the whip (allen wrench type) screws with thumb screws usually found on the sides of CB radios for bracket mounting. this makes for easy and fast whip length adjustments. the center whip is a hollow tube that feels cheap but I suspect will be okay. I had to make my own mount out of a bulkhead connector and CB mirror mount in order to use it on my semi truck. I recommend buying or making a spare jumper wire.
the antenna breaks down into a short and easily carryable package. I hope to report back after I have more experience with the antenna but for the money $79 you sure can't beat it.

KC0UIJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2013 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Not Plug and Play for Portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am only using this antenna for portable not mobile use. The price makes it worth trying. I am using four 13.5' ground radials made from insulated #14awg stranded wire. I used a kids bicycle horn mount which fit perfectly around my 3" long pl259 bulkhead connector to attach the radials with a single copper eye to the antenna. Tuning the antenna is very finicky even with a antenna analyzer. Even the slightest movement in the radials can cause a huge change in SWR. I found that a longer whip from a Wilson 1000 made for better and broader tuning on 17,20 and 40,(When whip lengths are changed; manufacturer listed jumper settings no longer apply). I use the HVT-600 successfully attached to a back pack while walking but the best method is with a tripod set up several feet away from the radio and operator( spreading out the radials and leaving them once lowest swr is found) It is also important to keep the jumper lead away from the antenna body (changes in the relationship with the jumper to the antenna body will cause SWR fluctuations). Once I have a band set up and tuned I make notes about jumper positions, whip length settings etc. I use this antenna with a Yaesu 857D and always keep my meter set to SWR for constant monitoring. If a squirrel walks too close the SWR will change:)If this antenna was $200 I would give it a rating of (2) however with some experimentation and patience you can make it work. It would be much more difficult to set up initally without the analyzer. Not all bands advertised will work for portable use depending on terrain, radial lengths etc. good luck! Note: my call sign has not been updated here. Current call w0msn

VK2CKK Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2013 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Compact travel antenna with WARC bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought I'd try this antenna out for the added benefit of having the WARC bands. My review and application is based on using this antenna on rental cars while away on business. I have had very good results with HVT400B. Antenna mount used is a MFJ 5" Mag mount.

Results: Works fine on all bands, Narrow BW on low bands is no surprise and to be expected.

Downside: You will have to adjust the whip length for just about every band change (not on HVT400), which does become a chore in the dark or rain! Oh! Do remember to have handy a tape measure and your pre-determined band whip length listing :)

The up-side: you have a compact travel "stick" antenna that covers all the HF bands (excl 160m).

Recommendation: Improve your 40m band BW and performance by adding (a few extra ounces to you travel pack) the "HotRodz" cap hat by DX Engineering(definite 5/5) and use 30m tap point.

My rating of 4 (I'd give it 3.5 if I could)is based on the more than double cost of the HVT-400B and the added whip setup hassle factor.