Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Knight Kit R-55A Help

Reviews Summary for Knight Kit R-55A
Knight Kit R-55A Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$59.95
Description: General Coverage Receiver

You can write your own review of the Knight Kit R-55A.

W8AQ Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2013 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Early Novice Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
At the age of 15, as my first receiver after getting my Novice license, this seemed liked the best receiver in the world! In reality, it was the best receiver I could build and afford! I still have it, have recapped it and use it in the shack every few days to tune in the shortwave or AM broadcast bands. I even still use it on occasion when I want to use the vintage gear. So it gets regular use almost half a century later.

OK, as a ham receiver, it was truly awful! I had it paired up with a used Heathkit DX-35 I got (also still in the shack). Luckily, being rockbound as a Novice, I had some sort of an idea where I was based on the xmtr output because the poor R-55A was pretty much only good enough to get in the ballpark. And with a complete lack of selectivity, I got very good at picking up the variation in the pitch of the CW station I was working. But having said all that, I worked hundreds of stations with it and it was a good enough experience to keep me interested in the hobby still today.

What more could I ask of a $59 kit purchased 45 years ago? Most of my purchases since then have done nowhere near as good a job of returning on the investment.

So for actual performance, the old Knight Kit probably rates a 1, or slightly better. For it's fun-factor, it's a solid 5. Hence, my average of 3.