Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner
Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $27
Description: SDR 641,700 MHz (sensitivity drops off considerably outside this range, but can go 02,100 MHz).
Similar to the Funcube.
Sampling rate: 1 MHz (can go up to 3 MHz but drops samples).
Works with Windows, Linux, and other OS.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software-defined_radios

You can write your own review of the Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Interest gadget  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine from Nooelec for a little over $20. Wanted to run it on my mac (thinking..uh oh...) but found gqrx software, downloaded it and had it receiving FM stereo in about 5 minutes. As I write this am listening to my local fire department run a medical call, have used it on aircraft freqs and for NOAA weather. Great for experimenting. Have also just got an HF upconverter. A great, inexpensive way to explore the world of SDR receivers for the cost of a good meal. Glad I got it and will be fiddling with it a lot. Fun.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2013 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Lots of fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second review. One may call it inferior hardware or toy but is quite an interesting object. The GUI SDR# is simple but indeed fantastic. It gives two choices for RF Gain: fully automatic with the Tuner AGC of RF setting from -1 to 42db. I use at least an FM notch filter to reject Broadcast FM in front of the dongle. More if needed I use use bandpass filter for the ham bands. The Tuner AGC gives often too much gain and leads to overload. So I usually set the dongle to 19db gain. This according to http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/hware/rtlsdr/rtlsdr.htm might give an MDS of -125dbm, which is quite acceptable.
As for the dynamic range, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth this 8 bit hardware should give no more than 48db dynamic range! Quite bad indeed. However http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/SDRSharp/message/5076 seems that software can do better. If i understand right the noise floor in SDR# is relative to the dynamic range. In my case it is about -60db. Not great but if I see http://www.sherweng.com/table.html the dongle is not alone in this respect. As for image rejection, the SDR# is fantastic, fully automatic and I could not notice any image.
More I can see 2Mhz on the spectrum. It has WFM great for FM broadcast as well. I could hear VO-52 qsos with a vertical antenna. Not bad and subject to software improvements.

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and Easy SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Per the Jan 2013 QST article re Cheap and Easy SDR, I decided to give one of these DVB-T units a try. Mine was about $25 plus ship off Ebay, and contains the RTL2832 quadrature sampling decoder, and the E4000 tuner. I'm using SDR# set up per the article, except that I found the SDR# Config file entry for RTL-SDR/USB already active. Only other gotcha is be careful using Zadig when installing USB driver, or you'll be reinstalling printers, other USB devices.

Anyway, while the noise floor is around -70dbm eg on 2M using a yagi, for the money, this is a cheap and valuable introduction to SDR, SDR# is a free download.

My version of SDR# does allow gain adjustment or let it be handled auto by AGC. I found +10db manual gain to be about right for my setup.

I also operate a Softrock Receive Ensemble II and SDR-IQ, albeit both on HF, and with noise floors on the order of -120dbm or better. However, the described DVB-T will get you on approx 64mhz-1700mhz, at little up front cost. Also comparing a NF or floor on HF vs VHF/UHF is not really apples for apples. A good antenna is a must, and the supplied antenna is not. The antenna connector on my DVB-T is a PAL, so series adapter required to F or UHF.

The QST article went on to describe an HF upconverter that could be used with the DVB-T, but by time you build and pay for that, could build and pay for one of the other SDR kits designed for HF, get far better performance.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have one of these units that I am using with SDR# software and a NooElectronics, HF upconverter. All the parameters of the unit are settable, including RF gain, with the SDR# package. An inexpensive way to get into SDR radio.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2013 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs SDR Console  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Under Windows Vista I used SDRSharp. It would be fine but the noise floor is terribly high... something -70dbm without the antenna, surely due to too much gain. Moreover I found no gain setting under the recording devices under Windows. I could not set up the gain. With the Funcube I could set up gains within the whole gain chain, while here I could set nothing. Maybe I missed something... but I wish I could use a GUI such as the excellent SDR-Radio Console for it. I tried HDSDR but I was not impressed either. I will try other GUIs under Linux... we will see...