Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | CQ Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Magazine
CQ Magazine Reviews: 151 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $27.95
Description: The Radio Amateur's Journal
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the CQ Magazine.

W2UIS Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2017 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Long Time Reader  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a reader of this publication since the 60's. I give a 4 simply because of the delivery being a month late.

I enjoy the articles reading each issue cover to cover spending more time raeding CQ than I do QST.

If you like what CQ publishes subscribe.

I too do not like the electronic version.

NT9M Rating: 2/5 Sep 12, 2017 16:27 Send this review to a friend
They've changed my mind  Time owned: more than 12 months
Updating my review from 2014.

After a couple of years of reading on Zinio, I found that I wasn't reading the magazine as completely as I used to read the print edition. As some others have noted, I'm on a screen all day and found myself less likely to occupy my evenings reading it that way.

So the last time I renewed, I opted for the print only subscription and hoped the the delivery issue was resolved. Alas, it's not. Month after month, each edition arrives about 6 weeks late, if you assume a September magazine should be in your hands by Sept. 1.

I feel bad for the writers who have penned stories that are event/time critical, because they don't get read until after the event has disappeared in the rear view mirror.

The next renewal decision will be a tough one.

KB3ZAA Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2017 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great, but ontime delivery  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My Great rating has one drawback...receiving the magazine on time. February was delivered going into the second week of March and likewise for the March issue arriving in April. Like the previous poster using zinio I find reading periodicals (because of columns) difficult to read and move around. I really like CQ and the articles are informative and fun to read. I am going to renew with hopes that the delivery issue will be corrected. QST is "great" too, and I am firm supporter of the ARRL, but another source of solid information is always welcome.

KA2DDX Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2017 11:21 Send this review to a friend
late again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too like CQ Magazine. It is a good balance with QST. However, the information in CQ is not timely. I just received my March 2017 issue on April 14.

No way to spin this. It's unacceptable.

Larry
KA2DDX

WA2ZQX Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2017 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Always Late...Stale Information  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Usually receive mailings 6 to 8 weeks late! Complained to CQ when I received my renewal notice and they extended my subscription one month. Still waiting for my March issue on April 15th. Articles are good. I don't like digital magazines...enjoy time away from the computer screen. Find myself looking online for up to date Ham info. If you need timely DX, Propagation, Contest, Product and Ham Fest news...CQ magazine is not for you.

AG5BA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Best all-round ham magazine out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best magazine subscription I've had. The articles, interviews, and reviews cannot be beat. CQ gives you the hobby from the perspective of a real ham, and they're not scared to occasionally go against the grain or touch on controversial topics. This is real journalism. From their editorials to their kit building, DX, and QRP sections, the quality of content is simply top notch. Can't forget the contests, either.

Their obvious competition is QST, which has some good stuff but is about 60% ham radio marketing and PR nonsense (which serves a good purpose, but sometimes it's a bit much). I recommend both, but if you can only get one, choose CQ. Better signal to noise ratio.

NL7XM Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Remarkable Recovery   Time owned: more than 12 months
Patience paid off! Rich and the gang at CQ have rebounded through tough times and the content has never been better. I've been a loyal subscriber for over 33 years, and glad I have a choice. Delivery delays are history and my crisp print copy arrives just days after the digital version lands consistently in my mailbox on the 1st of every month. Welcome back, CQ!

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
A Good New Start  Time owned: more than 12 months
They've done a fine job of remaking the magazine after the difficulties CQ had in recent years, and now the print magazine is again arriving in a timely fashion. I just renewed my subscription for 3 years. I'm glad I stuck it out with CQ while they were restructuring because we certainly need the magazine as another voice for ham radio and other radio hobbies.

KD6CPA Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2015 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Getting much better!   Time owned: more than 12 months
Now getting much more current print edition. I prefer CQ's articles and graphics to QST. Only issue I have now is I get an e-mail every month saying the online Zinio edition is available, but when I get on Zinio, the most recent edition available is April 2015. Zinio is a hassle to use (as are all online mags), but still better than QST's online!

WB5WLZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2015 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Content getting better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Content is getting better. I especially like the QRP and trail friendly articles. The SWL articles have peeked my interest in SWL listening. So much, that I ordered the World Radio and TV Handbook. Thanks Dottie.