Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | CQ Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Magazine
CQ Magazine Reviews: 148 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $27.95
Description: The Radio Amateur's Journal
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the CQ Magazine.

W8JAS Rating: 0/5 Dec 13, 2014 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Outdated Information  Time owned: more than 12 months
The information in the magazine is outdated and useless since the magazine arrives late every month and sometimes it never arrives. Reading about upcoming contests that have already passed is useless information. Special pricing in ads that has already expired is useless. It also seems like the magazine gets thinner and thinner each month so there is little content worth reading. Don't know what's going on, but won't re renewing.

K7FD Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2014 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Weak content  Time owned: more than 12 months
Advertisements that are disguised as articles; articles that are nothing but book promotions peppered with name-dropping and self promotion. This magazine continues to spiral into oblivion..

W3MAJ Rating: 2/5 Oct 6, 2014 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Receive Very Late  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy the content of CQ magazine with the exception of.... delivery date. I subscribe to a ton of magazines. Each is delivered the month prior to the issue month if not the month of the issue. I just RECEIVED THE AUGUST ISSUE IN OCTOBER. For a magazine that is as expensive as this is it is just not acceptable. For a good portion of the issue the content will not be outdated. With the exception of time sensitive activities. People/Clubs have put in ads and notices which will be of no value and have cob webs on them when received and read. To read where there is going to be a Hamfest on August 2nd and not be able to read about it until October 4th at the earliest is not a good thing. Otherwise the content seems ok.. I'm giving this periodical an average grade of "2" that being "4..Good" for articles and "0..Awful" for timeliness. CQ get on the stick and get this periodical out to your subscribers in a timely manner!!!

K8SOR Rating: 0/5 Aug 21, 2014 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Late or Never  Time owned: more than 12 months
August 20, just got the July issue. They should call it Contest Quarterly-----Only get about 4 a year, and it's just contest stuff. Tried to cancel my subscription by e-mail, but no luck. This used to be a good mag, but NO MORE.

WA2EEW Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2014 11:57 Send this review to a friend
I'm sooo excited! NOT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
August 20th and the July issue finally arrived!
I can hardly wait till my term expires so I don't have to renew. Also the late issues may have some interesting articles but not timely.
Gave it a 2 "needs help", but it should say BEYOND HELP!

W5NZ Rating: 1/5 Aug 19, 2014 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Late, late, late!  Time owned: more than 12 months
July edition finally arrived on 18 Aug -- 6 weeks later than it should. Content of the magazine is usually quite decent and offers a much needed alternative perspective from that provided by other journals. However, the management aspect of this periodical is sorely lacking. They've consolidated Popular Communications, CQ VHF magazine, and others into a single product line that should have minimized their publication woes. Haven't seen any subsequent improvement nor do they seem to care. Too bad to see a formerly great magazine go by the wayside. Will NOT be renewing my subscription.

KD8KEO Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2014 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Mail Subscription  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally received my July edition in the mail yesterday, August 18th. Late but, I enjoyed the articles. Especially Zero Bias on Miscommunication Emergency, and part II on Americas Off-limits Islands. I think this is a good magazine and do not want to see it go away. I would subscribe to the digital edition but, I continually have problems viewing it on my Android devices.

WB8NUT Rating: 0/5 Aug 7, 2014 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Articles and information old and outdated  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my issue of CQ arrives, the news is old and outdated. Even the ads are outdated. The issue I received in February had Christmas ads that were no longer valid. When they send out combined issues, the magazine is no bigger than a regular monthly issue. Articles are often not very interesting. CQ magazine is not what it used to be.

W8LV Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Beter than ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I subscribe to CQ via Zinio. I enjoy the new "expanded" edition, that combines the Worldradio columns and puts it all into one package.

I know I am reviewing CQ here, but I also want to say I subscribe to The Spectrum Monitor now that Monitoring Times has ceased, and it is great as well! I don't really see ham publications going at it, cutthroat competition, like in other areas of media. Instead, it's much more of an "Everybody knows Everybody" business, with these publications complimenting each other. BOTH are great publications, and combined with QST you have a great monthly reading library, where one is entertained and learns from all of them.

I DO wish that ALL of the mags would dump the goofy, goofy formats that they use and just go with Adobe format. Which is the easiest format to read.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2014 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I subscribed to Popular Communications (now CQ+) once Monitoring Times Magazine gave up the ghost, and I'm happy with the content and some great articles in the new CQ. It took three months to get my first Magazine but I'm enjoying it - yes, it seems to be 'late' every month but I still enjoy the magazine. I subscribe to QST also, but I really do enjoy reading the articles in CQ more.